Avast! Anti Virus Home...

Forte Lambardi

OMG! You guys hi-jacked my post! :P Just joking.

I see not a lot of people seem to like the GUI for Avast, but you guys seem to say it's ok.

For now, I think I am going to stick with Avast. AVG started to slow down my boot time alot (I don't know why), and since I switched to Avast! it seems to be much faster.

• Moderators
OMG! You guys hi-jacked my post! :P Just joking.

Apologies, you're absolutely right, but I hope you got some good info before the thread... "wandered"a bit.

Athough, unless you're a young man , it must have brought back some memories.

:)

Edit: A quick correction to the Old Shep post. The film I was thinking of was "Old Yella"

I think I'm probably going to be in the minority, here, but I very much like the Avast interface. Took quite a while to get used to it, initially the layout and options seem quite idiosyncratic, but the actual program is very configurable, perhaps more than most, and having learned a bit about how to do that configuration and access the options, I now find it falls easy to hand. Plus it looks different, and that's appealing.

It talks. Indeed it does. And the voices/alerts can be changed for any .mp3 file you have. So I've "tweaked" my sound system. Because I didn't like the update voice, got something different. (small electronic bells, zip zorps and whizzbangs, and a voice that says "transfer of data is complete.")

The program itself has given me no problems or glitches. Not one. In just over a year (which included a straightforward re-registration.) That's got to be unusual.

It's also helped keep the 'pooter free of malware, the main test, I guess. Have had the odd FP, no more than any other program; less than some.

The forum is active and helpful.

So I have absolutely no reason nor incentive to change.

I used AVG AV in the past, but it was long enough ago that a comparison (1) would be sketchy and vague, and (2) unfair. Have also used Avira and Norton. All three freeware ones are good. I'm sure you'll have at least pretty good protection no matter which of them you choose.

transfer_data.wav

transfer_data.wav

Have had the odd FP, no more than any other program

It always surprises me when I see people getting false positives and accepting it as normal. I've been using AVG free for 4 years and have never had a false positive (or a virus). Not boasting, just stating a fact.

On the subject of Avast it seems to me to be significantly worse than some for false positives recently, or at least thats the impression I get from the number of fp posts on forums from Avast users.

• Moderators

Well AVG isn't exactly immune from false positives either. Back in march AVG was detecting hijackthis as being a virus:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...=false+positive

Its not common for it to have issues like that but its not immune either.(all the major AVs have detected CCleaner at one time or another as you know. :P)

I don't use avast but it may have more of an issue with FPs then others.. idk and dont really want to find out. :P

I tried AVAST for a while, that was probably a few years back now, I liked the skins its the only AV that looked like an mp3 player :) .

Until I had to reinstall multiple times because the skins where breaking,

I'd try to open avast to do a scan and I'd get an error message and couldn't use the program at all.

It's probably fixed by now, but it left an impression.

fireryone

• 3 months later...
I just recenly switched to Avast! anti-virus Home Edition. I am asking as anyone else used this antivirus? And if you have used AVG, are there some places where Avast! excels over AVG?

If you haven't used AVG, what do you think of Avast! Home Edition? I just wanted what you guys think (seeing as you guys always provide great information.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Hi, yes, I have used AVG in the past (pro version), but switched to AVAST 4.7 home (free) edition a year ago, mainly because AVAST is much simpler to use. As for detection ability, neither of these

applications are found among the top-rated group. I have other software, like SSM and ZoneAlarm

Pro and TrojanHunter that, in my experience, afford much better protection from the nasties than either AVG or AVAST. If you don't already have Spyware Blaster loaded on your system, I would

urge you add it to your stable of security apps. You can add it to your system for a small donation.

All the best ;)

It always surprises me when I see people getting false positives and accepting it as normal. I've been using AVG free for 4 years and have never had a false positive (or a virus). Not boasting, just stating a fact.

Do you have AVG's scanner heuristics options set to "high" (if it allows for that)?

Download a few of Nirsoft's excellent system utilities and then see if you have any false positives:

http://www.nirsoft.net

I was using AOL's Active shield and was really impressed with it, then they decided to drop it for McAfee and the Kaspersky version didnt update correctly for a couple of weeks so I removed it, Ive noticed on another machine here the AOL version from Kaspersky has started updating again now so I tried to put it back on mine but it wouldnt accept the serial number anymore so I put Antivir on it instead but got abit fed up with the nag screen which suggests updating to the pro version everytime it updated so removed it after a week for AVG, then AVG started detecting my SDFix tool as trojan obfustat whatever that is but they fixed it when I sent them a sample so Im going to stick with that now as it looks good :unsure:

At least I got the chance to try out a few different AV's if nothing else :)

• Moderators

Andy if you want to use antivir and dump the nag screen here is how to do it:

1) Boot into safe mode

2) Log in as "Administrator"

3) Go to C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe right click on it in explorer go to properties->security->Advanced-> edit then select the option to not let it execute for all users.

You dont have to go in safe mode with xp pro. :D

Cheers R,

I'll use that if I ever have problems with AVG but Im liking it up to now as it just does its thing without bothering me, maybe Antivir thinks displaying a full screen nag advert everyday will persuade users to upgrade but it just had the opposite effect on me and ended up getting removed after afew days, probably like most members here the only time my AV detects anything is when its a false positive so I just want one that doesnt nag unless it really does find infections,

Thanks for the tip

Always one for a challenge I did just that, and picked three of the most potentially suspicious programs (password sniffer types), and all scanned clean with AVG - no false positives ;)

Very good. Antivir always picks those up as possible trojans.

What I'd really like to know is how many people are employed by all these AV vendors (other than Symantec and McAfee). Kaspersky has a web page that actually lists who's on duty at the moment (does anyone recall the url for that?). I sometimes get the feeling that the staffs aren't that large.

Avast seems to be growing, but I don't know about the rest. Etrust EZVirus is owned by Computer Associates, a very large company, but that one is never rated too highly.