Avast! Anti Virus Home...

Forte Lambardi

I just recenly switched to Avast! anti-virus Home Edition. I am asking as anyone else used this antivirus? And if you have used AVG, are there some places where Avast! excels over AVG?

If you haven't used AVG, what do you think of Avast! Home Edition? I just wanted what you guys think (seeing as you guys always provide great information.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

I just recenly switched to Avast! anti-virus Home Edition. I am asking as anyone else used this antivirus? And if you have used AVG, are there some places where Avast! excels over AVG?

If you haven't used AVG, what do you think of Avast! Home Edition? I just wanted what you guys think (seeing as you guys always provide great information.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

I think it has an terrible user interface. As far as performance I can't say anything bad about it and the people I know that use it have no problems. If AVG didn't exist I would probaly be using Avast.

Why do you think it has such a horrible user interface? I actually like it.

No accounting for taste as you know. Just my personal likes/dislikes. I find it ugly and not well layed out. If AVG did not exist I wouldn't let that stop me from using Avast but since AVG does exist I use it.

I agree with Anthony. The interface is clumsy. (Changing to the Mac Lovers OS skin makes things easier.) Otherwise, it's fine. I use Antivir PE because I think it has better performance, but I don't think one can go wrong with either AV.

• Moderators

I agree with mfenech about avira antivir, I use it because I think it has good detection rates and I like the gui.

I have also used avast and avg in the past.

A lot depends also on what totally agrees with your computer, although I could stand avast's interface, for some reason it didn't like my system.

We are lucky that there are 3 good free antivirus programs.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I agree with mfenech about avira antivir, I use it because I think it has good detection rates and I like the gui.

I have also used avast and avg in the past.

A lot depends also on what totally agrees with your computer, although I could stand avast's interface, for some reason it didn't like my system.

We are lucky that there are 3 good free antivirus programs.

4 if CA is still free for a year. I hear good things about it to. I have never tried it but I do use their on line scanner occasionally.

• Moderators

That free trial is with etrust is over now. :(

I do however kinda have to admit that the AOL Active Virus Shield is pertty good. Since it uses Kaspersky it has great detection rates. Its a little heavier then AVG/Antivir but it does a good job.

I don't like avast but I will say that it scans fast on default settings. Other then that I dont really like anything about it.

• Moderators

I've been using Avast Home Edition for some months now, and I cannot fault it.

The GUI? That's nitpicking really when you're talking about a solid, free Antivirus programme. How often do you need to use the interface?

The Mac skin looks fine, and I can start a complete scan in about 3 seconds, and it auto updates usually every day as soon as I connect to the net.

It also has a unique and neat feature?

After you're virus database has been updated, you get an announcement.

What's neat about that?

It's the voice of Data, from Star Trek. Or a very good impersonation.

I'm using it with Windows Firewall, and the combo works great on my PC.

Is anything else better? I've no idea, as I've had no reason to change.

Hope this helps.

:)

• Moderators

I'm glad you like it dennis.

I can't belive you like the voice thing though. :P If I'm sitting there listening to music I don't want "Virus Databases Have Been Updated" to be shouted at me. :lol:

I've just had a lot of problems in the past with avast not removing the things it says it is. I don't even consider it when I clean up computers anymore so maybe its improved in the last year and a half or so. The GUI is just kind of bad. I wish they would do like every other AV and just make a decent professional looking one with everything clearly labled. I don't want it to look like a media player or to have big candy colored buttons, ect. You can turn the skins off though and get an ok interface that way.

If I just had to use avast I could manage(disable sounds, skins, and all shields except the standard one), but there are others I would rather use.

Like I said before the AOL kaspersky is good but so is Antivir and AVG. I say just choose what you like and works for you.

• Moderators
And if you have used AVG, are there some places where Avast! excels over AVG?

The only place Avast has AVG beat is in the frequency of updates since Avast will check for an update every 4 hours by default and that frequency is changable. Although it checks for updates every 4 hours I've however only seen it updated once per day, and sometimes on rare occasions it will be a couple of days especially on weekends - but then again many antivirus softwares aren't updated on some weekends.

I use Avast and the major annoyance with it is the GUI! You really do need to download a different skin, or don't use skinning at all to cut down on the confusing mess that is the default media player looking skin. With that said even the other skins that are available can also be confusing when switching in between them, and frankly it's just an annoyance. If it had a more straight forward, or even a "standard Windows OS styled skin" like many other anti-virus softwares implement it would be even better in my opinion. Well actually they should do something along the lines of BitDefender.

The GUI is however the only thing I can fault in Avast. The GUI has been the main reason I've switched to AntiVir and even AVG before after I get sick of the GUI which is starting to happen again.

• Moderators
I'm glad you like it dennis.

I can't belive you like the voice thing though. :P

Are you kiddin'.

That's Data, off the Enterprise, and he's talking to me. :o

That's like Paul McCartney saying "Hi rridgely, just brought your Antivirus up to date, man."

:lol:

• Moderators
Are you kiddin'.

That's Data, off the Enterprise, and he's talking to me. :o

That's like Paul McCartney saying "Hi rridgely, just brought your Antivirus up to date, man."

:lol:

:P

If he said my name I might keep it.. but he would have to start singing hey jude afterwards. ;lol:

I always thought the voice just sounded like an answering machine robot. I don't watch/know anything about star trek though.

• Moderators
I don't watch/know anything about star trek though.

Oh my, I would've thought you would like Star Trek. :o

I personally can't get enough Star Trek from The Next Generation, Voyager, and my in the now favourite which is Enterprise.

• Moderators
:P

If he said my name I might keep it..

Hey, you're forgetting, my daughter still goes to Seaham Hall, where she had afternoon tea with LLiam and Noel.

If she ever bumps into Maca, we'll see if we can arrange something. :D

But, you were bang on with your last sentence..... If it works for you, then that's really what it's all about.

I could have gone with AVG, Avira or Avast, and I would undoubtedly have been singing the praises of whichever one I'd chosen.

The same criteria would have valid with any of them....

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

:)

• Moderators
Give it time, AOL will soon bloat/kill it somehow.

Probably but for now it seems alright to me.

Kaspersky is still handling the updates and they havent added in any ads or anything so for now I don't see anything wrong with using it.(I actually just installed it on my laptop since switching back to windows)

Hey, you're forgetting, my daughter still goes to Seaham Hall, where she had afternoon tea with LLiam and Noel.

If I could hang out in a bar with some famous people those 2 would probably be who I would choose. They would more then likely get trashed and probably start fighting but it would be a guaranteed good time. :lol:

• Moderators
I personally can't get enough Star Trek from The Next Generation, Voyager, and my in the now favourite which is Enterprise.

A man after my own heart, and since the Enterprise went "where no one had gone before", I think it's only

fitting that I Voyage off topic here, and put in a word for Babylon 5.

I followed every episode of that amazing series for 5 years, and was inconsolable after watching the very last episode. Tear in the eye job, even worse than when "Lassie came home". :rolleyes:

• Moderators
If I could hang out in a bar with some famous people those 2 would probably be who I would choose. They would more then likely get trashed and probably start fighting but it would be a guaranteed good time. :lol:

My only real claim to fame is sitting on the next table to Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Brian Jones in a place called the "Club A Gogo" in Newcastle, back in 1968.

Had those weird lights that made your white shirt glow.

Later that night, my mate and I bumped into Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithfull in Newcastle Central Station at about 3.00 am. They were trying to dodge the media, and we just wanted to get home.

Seems like yesterday. ;)

I think it's only

I'm with you on that one. Not really keen on Star Trek, or any space type series, but absolutely loved Babylon 5, used to get really sucked into the storylines. Great series, shame they killed it off :(

• Moderators
I think it's only

I followed every episode of that amazing series for 5 years, and was inconsolable after watching the very last episode. Tear in the eye job, even worse than when "Lassie came home". :rolleyes:

I love Babylon 5 too, actually just ten or so years ago I preferred it over Star Trek. I have every B5 episode on crummy old VHS tape which looks really bad now, and I need to get it all on DVD. I also have every episode of the spin-off Crusade on VHS which was ended prematurely before being finished.

• Moderators

I love all the sci-fi series and yes B5 was great.

I even keep the (unfinished as I am sure you know) firefly soundtrack on my desktop which I play when testing a firewall so I can block Microsoft listening to my music!

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com