Safari for windows?!

rridgely

• Moderators

Apparently apple is releasing its trademark browser for windows.

Its just a beta but its a surprising move from apple. I've used safai a pretty good bit on osx and found it to be ok, it was slower then FF on the computer I was using.(it was an old g4 emac thing. But it did have OSX on it)

I'm downloading it now but I'm not holding my breath considering the quality of other apple programs on windows.(itunes and quicktime are both so clunky)

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Make sure you choose to pick the download without quicktime if you don't like/already have it.

• Moderators

Well I see no reason to use this instead of firefox or opera.

It doesn't do anything those 2 don't. I guess this is good for web developers without macs though.

If you use it an you notice the fonts seem off on some of your pages go into edit> preferences>appearance and put font smooting to light.

I noticed that even on my lcd monitor it made fonts look bolder or something(not nealy as good as true type it just makes them look funny).

I will have to try this out. I am a browser junkie. I have tried probably all of them and have six installed right now. I love tweaking them and trying the different addons/extensions. I always liked the look of Safari. I have several skins for Opera, Firefox, Maxthon1 and 2 that are Safari themes.

• Moderators

Its ok but not great.

It has an option for spell checking but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be working.

It doesn't have any kind of adblocker(pop up blocker works good though).

The menu's were a little confusing at first, especially trying to import my bookmarks.(they weren't showing up but I figured it out.)

The good stuff I've noticed so for:

-Its pretty snappy once its loaded. I'm not sure if its faster then firefox or not but its deffinitely not slower.

-Clean minimal interface(even if it is gray and doesn't fit in with windows very well).

-Memory usage isn't wonderful but it doesn't seem to be outrageous either. Its been sticking around 50mb which is acceptable compared to firefox.

-The clunky/laggyness I was expecting isn't there. Its just as responsive as firefox,IE, opera, ect.

I really don't think that most people who love firefox are going to switch to this but if you don't like any of the other browsers its worth trying. The best thing about this though is like I said: Web developers who use windows will be able to make their sites compatible now and test them. Plus its always great to get more good choices.

• Moderators

EDIT!!!

I have had this thing running for a little longer now and just checked my task manager and this thing is using 130mb of ram. :(

Thats not good.

The browser has been pretty solid and responsive though so if you like it and your system can handle it, its worth the try.

It hasn't crashed and I haven't run into any sites not working. But I know the ram usage will be a turn off to some.

• Moderators

I've been running it for a while now just to see how much ram it use and so far its hit 320mb!

(its snappy loading on my laptop but and on my good desktop but on the cheaper one its pretty dog slow)

I don't plan to use this as my main browser probably ever but its new and it didn't seem to suck right aways so I'm playing with it a bit. :P

I would use opera and firefox before this though.

One thing I'm a little worried about is that if you click on something to download with it it doesn't prompt you where to download or even to open it before it starts saving, it just starts downloading. This could be dangerous if you start a download you didn't want too.

• Moderators

I don't exactly rely on the inquierer very much for information but I agree with that article and I'm not really surprised.(having used safari yesterday for a few hours and having it eat up 300+ megs of ram). Apple software on windows always has been pretty shabby.

As I was using safari though the look kind of grew on me. Not the ugly gray but all of the other stuff.

The interface is pretty simple and minimal(which I like). Its hard to explain but it was an enjoyable experience untill it started eating my ram like a fat kid with M&Ms. :P

The exploits and stuff being found aren't really that surprising either. Its a beta and they are releasing it on windows for the first time.

Hopefully they will be able to fix them before the final release.

I think its strange that they even released it on windows. Most mac users I know don't even use safari. :P

The ones I know all use either firefox, camino, or omniweb. (an article I read said they did this for the ad money. Like firefox and mozilla, apple will get money for all of the google searches you do in the search bar. )

I used it for a few hours and found it to be very boring and basic. I think it was made that way intentionally for people that like the minimalist approach to things. One feature I did like was the Snap Back feature. Lets you mark a page for Snap Back so no matter where you navigate to all you have to do is click an icon in the address or search bar and you snap back to that page. If you like Opera, Firefox, Maxthon, or even IE7 you will find this browser very lacking in features.

• Moderators

Ok, I installed it today, and I must say. It sucks... Plain and simple! They didn't do it for a piece of the web browser share. It's like you said for the money, it embeds links in the address link bar, urls you can not delete, or remove. I have manually deleted the file where the address are stored, and it just recreates it.

Deleting the cookies and history is easy, but like I said it embeds urls in the program itself. The file is Bookmarks.plist. Links, like accuweather, amazon, 1800flowers.com. Apple did it for the money and for no other reason.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

I installed C Cleaner on a reconditoned Windows 2000 system. All

seemed to be working well. I am not sure if I turned the computer off and

on to test. But a few days later system will not operate and gives root

system 32 error. I do not have the operating CD. Do you think I deleted

the operating temp files by mistake. Can CCleaner help me restore those

files and how? I believe I saved the CCleaner onto a disc before I shut

down the computer.

• Moderators

There could be all kinds of things that went wrong on that computer.

You could have gotten a virus or something or maybe tried a program that corrupted your registry. Its hard for us to know.

The chances of it being ccleaners fault are slim. CCleaner only cleans temp files so it couldn't have removed anything required for you computer to boot.

Since windows 2000 doesn't have system restore there isn't really much we can help you with if you don't have a windows disc.

• Moderators

I uninstalled it earlier today.

For me to use this full time they would have to make some serious changes:

-Get it down to around 30mb of ram when being used. This browser is very minimal which I like so get it down to minimal ram usage)

-Give me a different color scheme or make it look like a naitive windows app. No all grey. Even though I like the way the browser looks as far as menus, rendering(once turning to light font smoothing), and the way everything is glowing blue when you click it. Its just got a nice feel to it.

-Fix security holes

If they can do all that I may just use it. :)

I uninstalled it earlier today.

For me to use this full time they would have to make some serious changes:

-Get it down to around 30mb of ram when being used. This browser is very minimal which I like so get it down to minimal ram usage)

-Give me a different color scheme or make it look like a naitive windows app. No all grey. Even though I like the way the browser looks as far as menus, rendering(once turning to light font smoothing), and the way everything is glowing blue when you click it. Its just got a nice feel to it.

-Fix security holes

If they can do all that I may just use it. :)

Nothing more than a complete redesign then :lol: :lol:

If they redesigned the Apple mac OS to look like windows I might just use it as well :lol: :lol: :lol: Otherwise I'm really not interested...

• Moderators

OSX is a nice looking OS.

Everything matches and all of the menus are just about the same in every program. Its got a really nice feeling to it.

I've never owned a mac myself(not being able to replace parts has always been a turn off, as well as no games, and lack of applications. All of that is changing though). But I do have friends who have them and love them. They are the types that get on the computer for only email, pictures, ect. They don't want to fool around with trying to customize things or look for programs. They like the experience that it provides. I have done lots of work on macs though.

Throwing programs from OSX to windows has always looked tacky and out of place on windows. I've always thought having itunes running(which I hate btw but thats another story) on windows just looked ugly. Safari sticks out the same way itunes does.