New PC wooo hooo!

krit86lr

So I finally have a new computer. Just put it together yesterday. I've never had a new PC so this is really exciting. :D Here are some of the specs. I still need to add some of the lesser needed hardware such as floppy drive, etc..

System: Intel

Processor: Dual Core 3.2 gigahertz Intel Pentium D

Mother Board: Intel

BIOS: Intel Corp

Memory: 2 gigs

HD: 240.66 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI DVD+RW

ATAPI-CD ROM-Drive

Display: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Very nice. :)

Getting a new computer is always fun. :P

Instead of getting a floppy drive I would just get a good usb drive.

Floppies are just about useless now a days. :lol: One of my computers I didn't put a floppy drive in and I haven't missed it.

Very nice. :)

Getting a new computer is always fun. :P

Instead of getting a floppy drive I would just get a good usb drive.

Floppies are just about useless now a days. :lol: One of my computers I didn't put a floppy drive in and I haven't missed it.

Well it turns out I have to get a new flash drive anyway. Tapped my new one from xmas out a few days ago. The only reason that I want a floppy drive is for diagnostic programs. For example, my mem tests, and hard drive diagnostic tools require a floppy. The .exe file only recognized floppies. kwim?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

cicuit city has a 4gig memorex one for $25 right now. It doesn't get much better then that. :P

Usually now a days you can get bootable .iso files instead of using floppies. :D

This is the computer your trying to get media center on right?

cicuit city has a 4gig memorex one for $25 right now. It doesn't get much better then that. :P

Usually now a days you can get bootable .iso files instead of using floppies. :D

This is the computer your trying to get media center on right?

yep! If I don't find the disc soon I am just going to format, and install my xp sp2 CD. I might even use the x64 platform version, never used that one before.

• Moderators

I would not go with xp 64 or vista 64 for that matter.

The reason is that a vast majority of software still isn't 64bit ready. From what I've read more and more are becoming compatible but most places are saying the small difference isn't worth the hassle of incompatibility.

• Moderators
The only reason that I want a floppy drive is for diagnostic programs. For example, my mem tests, and hard drive diagnostic tools require a floppy. The .exe file only recognized floppies. kwim?

I think you should get an external floppy drive, the last thing you need is some internal one slowing down the boot process and the random access s**t they cause after having something written to them is annoying with one installed internally!

Many of those test programs can be burned onto a CD such as Memtest86+ and the old Memtest86 (seems to be now both freeware and commercial), and for others you'd just create a bootable CD.

awesome system krit. how much that beast cost and did you build it or was it a premade? and send me a pm, i lost your messenger address (had a hacker, who stole my msn address).

yep! If I don't find the disc soon I am just going to format, and install my xp sp2 CD. I might even use the x64 platform version, never used that one before.

The reason is that a vast majority of software still isn't 64bit ready. From what I've read more and more are becoming compatible but most places are saying the small difference isn't worth the hassle of incompatibility.

You won't dual boot?!!?!? No balls :rolleyes::lol::P JK JK !!!!

Ya.... how much did that system cost?? It couldn't have been more than a few hundred...cause it isn't a Core 2, and the GFX chip isn't top of the line...

AJ

• Moderators

dual boot what? Where did we even say anything about dual booting.. :huh:

I had a linux dual boot on my laptop once but linux sucks so I got rid of it. :P (well linux hardware detection sucks not the OS as a whole.)

dual boot what? Where did we even say anything about dual booting.. :huh:

I had a linux dual boot on my laptop once but linux sucks so I got rid of it. :P (well linux hardware detection sucks not the OS as a whole.)

krit86lr said "and install my xp sp2 CD. I might even use the x64 platform version, never used that one before." So I thought he could do both... XP SP 2 and XP 64 just because he could....

What Linux were you using? I heard Ubuntu is real good about detection, but drivers for newer video cards (8800's) wasn't good...

AJ

krit86lr said "and install my xp sp2 CD. I might even use the x64 platform version, never used that one before." So I thought he could do both... XP SP 2 and XP 64 just because he could...

She ;)

She ;)

haha, thanks. :) It's been a long time since someone has referred to me as a guy on here. LOL

cicuit city has a 4gig memorex one for $25 right now.

I am so all over that.

yeah, that's a good point. Wasn't sure how far the compatibility issue had come along. It seems like it should be okay by this point, it's been over a year since 64 bit platforms have been being used.

awesome system krit. how much that beast cost and did you build it or was it a premade? and send me a pm, i lost your messenger address (had a hacker, who stole my msn address).

I watched my SO build it because I had never installed a mobo before. It's really easy! :) The processor only took 2 seconds to put in. There was nothing to it really.

It was only $350 which is the best deal I've seen. Yes, I'm poor, I can't afford the fancy shmancy stuff. But it's new! :D *another happy dance*

it's on my profile ;)

She ;)

haha, thanks. :) It's been a long time since someone has referred to me as a guy on here. LOL

My bad.... I get into a mode where I'm just like "computer talk = guys." I was sorta tired, but then again, I never realized it... will jot it down..

AJ

oh, and your space comments are missing again......lol.

Seriously?!?! Sheesh! It's a myspace issue, the problem comes and goes on it's own. :(