DivX Pro free for short time

hazelnut

• Moderators
Can be downloaded here free for a limited time

http://www.divx.com/dff/index.php

Info about program

http://www.divx.com/divx/whybuydivx.php

Hazel, you're still a star.

I'm a regular Divx user, and already have the bundle, but with only a trial on the Pro aspect of the Codec. That expired ages ago.

Great find. Thanks :)

• Moderators
too bad i like XviD instead of DivX :)

They both look about the same quality to me, picture-wise. Although I don't know which one is faster than the other. The cool thing about DivX Pro is you can encode certified video for particular hardware, such as HD, Home Theater, Portable, etc.

Although the "supposed freeware-ness of DivX" seems like a ploy to get us to buy the $9.99 DivX Converter MPEG-2/DVD Plug-in.

They both look about the same quality to me, picture-wise. Although I don't know which one is faster than the other.

XviD is. the current CVS(version 1.2) has experimental(or maybe not experimental) support for multi-threading which is quite nice.

• Moderators
Noticed that DivX encoded videos are generally lower quality than XviD videos, especially when there's (a lot of) movement in the picture.

I personally haven't noticed, but I wasn't using the default quality trade-off of speed/quality when I encoded using DivX Pro I increased the quality at the expense of several more MB.

• Moderators
XviD is. the current CVS(version 1.2) has experimental(or maybe not experimental) support for multi-threading which is quite nice.

I noticed that using DivX Pro or the app I initially was using EasyDivX had that switch itself in the advanced configuration but I ended up ditching EasyDivX due to some popup window with configurations that it was completely ignoring. I'm much more settled and happy with FairUse Wizard (last freeware uncrippled version) - although it can misbehave and sometimes crash if a DVD isn't inserted in a drive.

• Moderators

Experiencing a problem at the moment with Divx, which appears to have started since dowloading and registering the Pro codec, or, it could just be a coincidence. Either way I'm puzzled.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: Solved this problem. Wasn't one really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I think I'm resurrecting the dead with this topic, :D but if anyone is having any problems with DivX, you may have the same one I had.

The web player downloaded with some of the recent bundles can give problems.

Go to DivX labs, (if you haven't already done so), and get the Web Player 1.4.0. beta 2. Used it for a while, with no problems.