Critical bugs found in Firefox and IE

Humpty

A security researcher has uncovered four bugs in web browsers. Two of the vulnerabilities affect Mozilla's open-source Firefox browser, and two flaws have been found in IE (Internet Explorer).

The flaws were discovered by security researcher Michael Zalewski. He then posted examples of each on the Full-disclosure mailing list for browser vulnerabilities.

One of the bugs regarded as critical is found in Internet Explorer 6.0 and IE7. Zawelski said the flaw gave hackers a window through which they could run malicious JavaScript to hijack a PC. Zawelski also compared the Internet Explorer vulnerability to a browser 'collapsing'.

Although Firefox is not at risk from the Internet Explorer bugs, Zawelski found two other vulnerabilities, one of which was considered major. Attackers could intercept keystrokes or insert malicious content into a legitimate website due to an IFrame vulnerability in Firefox 2.0. A patch Firefox manufacturer Mozilla issued had been unsuccessful in solving this Firefox problem when it was uncovered last year.

Article

• Moderators

I'm pleased that some of the good guys are finding these flaws.

This is probably a perverse thought, but if everything in lalaland was completely and permanently 100% safe, it would be too easy.

You guys who work your magic on infected PC's must get some real satisfaction out of helping people get clean, and keep clean, and I know I can't be the only one who gets satisfaction out of finding and using good malware protection to beat the bad guys.

Would taking all the bad guys away be a good thing? Of course it would, but it would be a shame to lose that feeling of satisfaction you get when you beat the b******s.

Have I taken a wobbler here?

Nope, just the enlightenment of half a dozen single malts. :blink:

Another Firefox "The most secure browser" myth :lol:

What's really happening to those guys at mozilla? Don't they have a white hat hacker or somethin'?

Oh well back to Opera :)

• Moderators

I'm one of the people who can't get Opera to connect to the Internet at all, although I have a direct connection, and I've configured Firewall etc. etc.

Anyway, I've no intention of changing from Firefox. Just curious about Opera.

I joined the Opera forum to see if they could suss out why this was happening, but with no joy. Although there were others with similar problem to mine.

What I did notice was the number of people who were having problems with Opera, especially with the recent versions. All sorts of problems.

Anyway, as Firefox is running super smooth, and my pc's still clean, I thought I'd put my two penneth in for it.

Everythings definitely not rosy in the Opera garden, although to be fair, I've never been to the Firefox forum.

Is there one? Maybe there's no need. :D

• Moderators
I'm one of the people who can't get Opera to connect to the Internet at all, although I have a direct connection, and I've configured Firewall etc. etc.

Opera started having problems with my ad proxy filtering software, in that it couldn't even find it on port 8080 when it had worked perfectly fine with it for several years and multitudes of versions.

I no longer use Opera, or that ad proxy filtering software because starting with Firefox v2 Firefox all of a sudden worked with my system without crashing every 5-10 minutes. Now with the MVPS.org HOSTS file and combination of the Adblock Plus extension for Firefox means I'll be a Firefox user for a long time.

• Moderators

Nope unless you've noticed we go off topic in every post. :P

I've had a pretty stable install of firefox on my desktop for the last few days, so I'm pretty happy. I still have seamonky on my laptop and other desktop though. Maybe they fixed whatever was causing my problems on the last update. (so I'm happy. :D)

I don't really like opera. Its ok but it has super crazy caching where when I'm on forums and I'll go back to read new posts and opera will actually load the old page where I won't be able to see new messages. I know you can turn it off but then opera seems to slow down a pretty good bit.(this is why I think its bs that people say opera is fastest. Its just because its reloading the page from earlier! :P)

Anyway everyone knows IE7 is the best. :P

• Moderators
Its ok but it has super crazy caching where when I'm on forums and I'll go back to read new posts and opera will actually load the old page where I won't be able to see new messages.

That's been a problem for years with it. I can remember all the way back to version 5 or something were I'd be logged into a forum and have to manually refresh pages, which is another reason why I had it automatically delete the cache when closing the browser.