Avg Antispy for vista is released

hazelnut

I noticed it when I visited Filehippo so I downloaded it and packed it away in a 7z archive for when I decide to do a scan with it which isn't that often.

Think I'll stick with the current version if I can for a while. Having read their forums it seems you have to leave the guard service running to use the program, if you disable it AVGAS won't open <_<

• Moderators
Think I'll stick with the current version if I can for a while. Having read their forums it seems you have to leave the guard service running to use the program, if you disable it AVGAS won't open <_<

For freeware users that would be a serious problem. However in my situation it wouldn't really effect me because AVGAS makes my system run funky so I only install it like once every three or so months, update it, run a full system scan, and when all is deemed clean I immediately uninstall it.

I suppose the online version that only works with Internet Explorer is an option, although I don't know how up-to-date it is.

For freeware users that would be a serious problem. However in my situation it wouldn't really effect me because AVGAS makes my system run funky so I only install it like once every three or so months, update it, run a full system scan, and when all is deemed clean I immediately uninstall it.

I like the right click scan of AVGAS so like to keep it installed. Theres a few negative comments on their forum about this so hopefully they'll change it. If not I'll probably just get rid of it, its always a pain in the rear to update anyway so this would just be the final nail in the coffin.

• Moderators
its always a pain in the rear to update anyway so this would just be the final nail in the coffin.

The update issue was why I couldn't even use it a month or two ago because it would never update so I just removed it, however I kept the installer. The next time I install it if it doesn't update I'll be done with it too because I don't really rely upon it to keep my system clean.

Hopefully the new Ad-Aware to be released on 5 June 2007 will forgo my roughly every three month scan with AVGAS, then again I'm about to also try out the new a-Squared Free since registration to download is no longer required.

• Moderators

I just tried the new A-Squared. :(

I just can not trust this program, here is what it found:

c:\installer detected: Trace.Directory.SecondThought

c:\workssetup detected: Trace.Directory.SpyWare.MateWatcher

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internet settings\zonemap\domains\net-nucleus.com detected: Trace.Registry.Mirar

All false positives. C:\installer is a folder I made and the only thing in it is the setup files for AVG Antivirus, StarOffice, and Spyware Blaster. All clean of course.

C:\Workssetup is part of MS works which came on my laptop

The registry key is a site blocked by spyware blaster I guess.

Any scanner can have false positives but I don't even know why its detecting the things it is. Its detecting the whole folder as a trace infection.. but there are valid setup files in it. I didn't even let it finish scanning, uninstalled. :D

• Moderators

I also just tried a-Squared Free. I was expecting it to give me false positives, however it didn't.

I still can't figure out how it counted that it had scanned 5 cookies, especially since I'd just ran CCleaner and Disk Cleaner beforehand, and combined both are able to delete all cookies.

For freeware users that would be a serious problem.

I think that was the intention. That way you upgrade to the full version and you will be running the Guard anyway.

For me if this Guard process needs to be running to launch AVG AS I will activate it so I can use the scanner and that when done I will deactivate the Guard until I need to scan again. I usually scan every two weeks so it won't be that much of a hassle.

Does anybody know if the Guard is still in services? In my current version it is a service and I disable it in there.

Does anybody know if the Guard is still in services? In my current version it is a service and I disable it in there.

Yes it is but if you disable it in the new version AVGAS won't work.

Yes it is but if you disable it in the new version AVGAS won't work.

I know that it doesn't work if you disable it in the new version. I will just enable it when I want to launch AVG AS and do a scan than when finished I will disable it from running again. Shouldn't be that much of a PITA since I scan twice monthly with it. I was just curious though if the Guard was still a service like it is now. You answered my question thanks. :)

• Moderators
That is strange that it still found cookies.. I don't know.

At least you didn't get any of the fun fake infections I got. :P

I'm glad I didn't get any fun fake (sounds like fun cake) infections.

I did have to uninstall it though because when I went to right click and open a folder in the Start Menu Programs group I couldn't, however after removing a-Squared it fixed that problem.