New JkDefrag

slowday444

A really good update this. Now includes several file ordering options. Including an option to move rarely used files to the end of the data on the disk. Whereas before you had to run one option to move files to the end of the DISK, and then run it a second time with a different option to optimise with those same files excluded to stop them being moved back.

Ewieldra's GUI will be available soon. Been in contact with him for a bit about a solution to the above and now Jeroen has built it into the defrag program itself. This new option will be included in the GUI :)

Changelog:

JkDefrag v3.9 (May 30, 2007)

Changes:

- Added optimization methods for sorting files on disk by name, size, last

access, last change, and creation time.

- Reduced the number of steps from 6 to 3.

- Added zoning to the Fast and Full optimization methods. Files are now placed

in 3 zones with a free space between: directories, regular files, and space hogs.

- Added "-u" commandline option to add custom masks to the list of build-in

SpaceHogs masks.

- Added a top-25 of largest files to the status report.

- Huge files (>4Gb) are now treated in segments.

- The versions now also detect if another version is running (windows,

command line, screen saver).

- The Windows display idle timer (screen saver) and system idle timer (power saver)

are disabled while JkDefrag is running.

For programmers:

- Many changes in the sources.

- Added an example Visual project.

- Library sources are now compatible with the UNICODE compiler setting.

- Changes to facilitate multithreading.

- Renamed the sources. There is now a JkDefrag.cpp and JkDefrag.h file for easy

inclusion into a project.

- Integrated the DefragInitialize function into the RunDefrag function.

- Changed the StopProcessing subroutine, it now accepts a timeout.

• Moderators

From a help file....

With most defragmentation software, Windows’ own defragmenter being a case in point, files such as Page file, Hibernation file and files that are currently being used are never touched.

With PerfectDisk's Offline Defragmentation option PerfectDisk will first try to unmount the drive. If this is not possible then you will be prompted to schedule an offline defragmentation pass the next time you boot your PC. The defragmentation of these files will then take place in the pre-Windows environment (DOS environment).

PerfectDisk can also be scheduled to run this offline defragmentation on a regular basis every time you boot the PC.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Well it can be run at startup but requires the use of the program ScanDefrag

From the JKDefrag homepage:

A very nice utility that will run maintenance programs as early as possible in the Windows startup. My defragger is one of the supported programs, others are for example Microsoft's Disk Cleanup, ScanDisk/Chkdsk, Norton's Disk Doctor, and others.

Ewieldra's GUI will be available soon. Been in contact with him for a bit about a solution to the above and now Jeroen has built it into the defrag program itself. This new option will be included in the GUI :)

I have not used this program before, but have heard of it. Will the GUI version be a separate version, or is the GUI just an add-on to 3.9?

• Moderators

Perfect Disk and quite a few others do offline defrags, but I think we all like to choose which program suites us, and our system, best.

It would be boring if we all used the same software :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I have not used this program before, but have heard of it. Will the GUI version be a separate version, or is the GUI just an add-on to 3.9?

The GUI is developed seperately so the new version of the GUI (version 0.8) should be available, hopefully in the next few days, here: http://www.emro.nl/freeware/

The GUI download contains the JKDefrag program so nothing else needs to be downloaded seperately (ie you don't have to download JKD then download the GUI as an add-on). Though until it's updated it will only contain the previous version of JKD.

As a few of us use it I'll post to this thread when its released, if no-one else beats me to it ;)

I downloaded the new JkDefrag v3.9 and have had to go back to 3.8. It takes an age to run, it runs to 99% then jumps back to 25% etc before eventually crawling to a finish and more importantly there were still one or two fragmented files after all this (when I then checked using Windows XP's own defrag option). I ran it 3 times as a test, one after the other and it took almost 35 minutes! Doing the same with 3.8 takes less than 10 minutes to do the same...

3.8 runs smoothly, so I'll stick with that.

I downloaded the new JkDefrag v3.9 and have had to go back to 3.8. It takes an age to run, it runs to 99% then jumps back to 25% etc before eventually crawling to a finish and more importantly there were still one or two fragmented files after all this (when I then checked using Windows XP's own defrag option). I ran it 3 times as a test, one after the other and it took almost 35 minutes! Doing the same with 3.8 takes less than 10 minutes to do the same...

3.8 runs smoothly, so I'll stick with that.

Are you using the new optimisation methods, they are all slow. If your using the standard default optimisation (-a 3) it shouldn't be any different. Perhaps post a bug report and JKD log on the JKDefrag forum

I haven't used it yet, waiting for the GUI version.

Are you using the new optimisation methods, they are all slow. If your using the standard default optimisation (-a 3) it shouldn't be any different. Perhaps post a bug report and JKD log on the JKDefrag forum

I haven't used it yet, waiting for the GUI version.

yeah, it was the optimisation (if I remember) that was slowing it down. How do I change the defaults? All I ever do is click on the JkDefrag Application (after extracting all the files from the zipped folder) to make it run...

yeah, it was the optimisation (if I remember) that was slowing it down. How do I change the defaults? All I ever do is click on the JkDefrag Application (after extracting all the files from the zipped folder) to make it run...

Could be a bug, theres a few posts appeared on the JKD forum today reporting problems. He needs peoples logs to see whats going on though. If you choose to post a bug report over at JKD heres how to run it and creat a debug log:

Click Start>Run and enter something like this (obviously make sure the filepath matches yours) will run it with the default optimisation with highest debug level:

"C:\JkDefrag 3.9\JkDefrag.exe" -a 3 -d 6

When its done there will be a text file in the JKDefrag folder cotaining the log (just called JKDefrag I think). Posting that on the JKD forum would help get it fixed.

• Moderators
Well it can be run at startup but requires the use of the program ScanDefrag

That ScanDefrag program is exactly what I've been wanting for years in WinXP to automate Check Disk, Disk Cleanup, and Defrag and it sort of reminds me of the one GUI to do it all feature that Win9x had in Maintenance Wizard. I liked it enough to keep it installed and even submit a winapp2.ini entry for it.

That ScanDefrag program is exactly what I've been wanting for years in WinXP to automate Check Disk, Disk Cleanup, and Defrag and it sort of reminds me of the one GUI to do it all feature that Win9x had in Maintenance Wizard. I liked it enough to keep it installed and even submit a winapp2.ini entry for it.

I've been meaning to try it out for ages myself but have never got round to it :rolleyes:

There is a promising looking new GUI just released on the JKD forum. Looks nice and simple but functional though i've not given it a proper workout yet (this is not the Ewieldras original GUI that a few of us use but a completely new one by a different user):

Feature list:

- supports all command line options of JkDefrag 3.11

- all settings are saved in a plain-text file in the same directory where the executable is

- can also copy the generated command line to the clipboard instead of running it, so you can easily create batch files

- optimizes the generated commandline: default options (like "-a 3") are left out.

- does not require that the JkDefrag.exe is in the same directory as the Starter (doesn't even require that ANY executable of JkDefrag is available on the computer Razz , but it can use any of them (also the command-line version))

- small standalone executable (136 KB uncompressed)

- written in pure C++ and WinAPI -> no additional dependencies

- currently supports two languages: English and German

For download an a screenshot use the following link (page is German):

http://web41.server2.dce4u.de/index.php?me...ragstarter.html

The archive includes the complete Visual Studio 2003 project.