Skype Issue

When you run the registry cleaner, if you fix all isssues then you load up skype after it will run a repair wizard on skype trying to repair skype.

It seems CCleaner is deleting something precious about skype.

In my case (WinXP SP2, CCleaner 1.40, Skype 3.2) following keys are concerned:

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\{327C8820-8DED-4BD2-A7F6-D07B9DD5698F}"

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\{A4B980AE-402C-4EA4-9D1B-83A7A8CEE7E4}"

I think, the problem is they are empty so they seem useless. But when starting, Skype seems to check whether these keys are here. If not, Windows Installer starts with this message: "Please wait while Windows configures Skype."

This problem started with Skype 3.2. I don't think I installed a new version of CCleaner when this occurred for the first time, but I'm not sure anymore.

Tobias

In my case (WinXP SP2, CCleaner 1.40, Skype 3.2) following keys are concerned:

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\{327C8820-8DED-4BD2-A7F6-D07B9DD5698F}"

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\{A4B980AE-402C-4EA4-9D1B-83A7A8CEE7E4}"

I think, the problem is they are empty so they seem useless. But when starting, Skype seems to check whether these keys are here. If not, Windows Installer starts with this message: "Please wait while Windows configures Skype."

This problem started with Skype 3.2. I don't think I installed a new version of CCleaner when this occurred for the first time, but I'm not sure anymore.

Tobias

Been having same problem. Does anyone know which Registry Issue setting I need to untick to stop these entries being removed by CCleaner?

Richard

Been having same problem. Does anyone know which Registry Issue setting I need to untick to stop these entries being removed by CCleaner?

Richard

Found the answer. The registry entries above are reported by CCleaner are "Unused File Extensions". If you untick that Option under registry Issues it will be a temporary cure.

Note sure whether to blame Skype or CCleaner for this problem. Been using CCleaner in various versions for a while now to clean registry & although I usually back up deletions. have never had to re-instate any.

Incidentally the registry entries for this issue as shown by CCleaner don't have the full path so you won't immediately find them.

Richard

• Admin

Thanks for the detailed info. The problem is with Skype and Windows Installer. It is installing registry keys in an incorrect location.

However there is a neat workaround in CC that I can add into the next release to prevent it being picked up.

So consider this fixed in 1.41, unless Skype fix it first! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...
On 01/06/2007 at 17:43, MrG said:

Thanks for the detailed info. The problem is with Skype and Windows Installer. It is installing registry keys in an incorrect location.

However there is a neat workaround in CC that I can add into the next release to prevent it being picked up.

So consider this fixed in 1.41, unless Skype fix it first! :)

so when will this new release be out ? It is very annoying that skype starts reinstalling itself each time

• Moderators

You're asking a question about something that was posted 13 years ago. Instead of waiting for Piriform to fix it you can exclude it immediately on your system -- or disable/untick in CCleaner any boxes that clean Skype.

Exclude items:
1. Start CCleaner.
2. Click: Options > Exclude
3. In Exclude click: Add
4. You can exclude the Skype physical folder(s), or files(s) installed on your disk drive, or registry data.