AMD or Intel

xxxxsh4d0wxxxx

• Moderators

Right now intel's core 2 duo chips are the best hands down. They are supposed to be releasing a new line soon that is even better.(more powerful, better battery life) I can't remember the name though.

I'd recommend the new HP Pavilion DV9500's which have the newer Core 2 Duos. However, they only have the top-of-the-line

Intel graphics chip (which is not that fast). If you can wait a little while longer they will either have the Nvidias or ATIs.

No, I did not already buy it. I'm getting a Dell Inspiron 1501. However depending if I choose "Home and Home Office" or "Small Business" I then have the choice to chose AMD or Intel. For the one under Home and Home Office it came up to $1060 with AMD.

Intel seems to be a lot more money.. but from all I have researched, AMD seems to have a better "bang for the buck".

EDIT: If I were to get Intel, I would spend the extra money and get the highest upgrade they offer (2.0GHz) as I am with the AMD.

• Moderators

Its not really about the ghz anymore. Unlike 5 years ago the chip with the highest ghz is not always the "fastest". The intel core 2 duos pretty much blow away anything AMD has. Its been a while since I looked at the Dual Core AMD chips but the Intel's had much better battery life when I looked last(which is a huge factor with a laptop)

Other companies I would look at if I were you are Toshiba(I have a toshiba and its a very solid, well built machine), HP, and IBM.

From what I've read Dell doesn't make bad laptops but they never looked as nice as these other ones.

Also what do you want to be able to do with this laptop? Is it a gaming machine or will it be mainly for MS office work? :D

• Moderators

Well I've done a good bit of searching and the best deal I found was this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Gateway-15-...roductDetail.do

Plus you get a printer, router, and Webroot security software.

I had a kick ass HP machine picked out(so awesome I almost took out my credit card. :P) but then I remembered I don't need a new computer. :lol:

It was about 150 more then what you have with dell though.

That is a really nice laptop actually. :P

I'll probably stick with the Dell, but if I decide to reconsider, I know where to look. :)

Also, for gaming.. it is clearly noted that AMD handles 3D applications better than Intel. The only downside I could find about AMD was shorter battery life, and it generates more heat.

Right now intel's core 2 duo chips are the best hands down. They are supposed to be releasing a new line soon that is even better.(more powerful, better battery life) I can't remember the name though.

PENRYN -- FYI...lol

Intel's Penryn

That is a really nice laptop actually. :P

I'll probably stick with the Dell, but if I decide to reconsider, I know where to look. :)

Also, for gaming.. it is clearly noted that AMD handles 3D applications better than Intel. The only downside I could find about AMD was shorter battery life, and it generates more heat.

Not sure where you found that fact... Intel = Best thing out there. Pair that with a good graphics chip and your good to go. Core 2 Duo's totally pwn AMD's, so don't even think about buying that AMD!

AJ

• Moderators

What kind of ATI card is it? If its called Radeon xpress something then its a piece of junk.

The reason I say that is because they are onboard graphics meaning that like the intel ones they use system memory for graphics memory. The Intel ones are more compatible with vista from what I've read. (if you notice all of the highend laptops have that intel chip in them. Except for the really expensive ones that have the nvidia go chips)

If you want to do serious gaming on this thing your going to have to spend more money then this anyway. These systems are fast as hell but if gaming is your main aspect then you could get a much much faster desktop for this much money.

No, I did not already buy it. I'm getting a Dell Inspiron 1501. However depending if I choose "Home and Home Office" or "Small Business" I then have the choice to chose AMD or Intel. For the one under Home and Home Office it came up to $1060 with AMD.

Intel seems to be a lot more money.. but from all I have researched, AMD seems to have a better "bang for the buck".

EDIT: If I were to get Intel, I would spend the extra money and get the highest upgrade they offer (2.0GHz) as I am with the AMD.

My newest laptop is a 17 inch Dell Inspiron. It has 2 gig of ram and a 160 GB hard. My processor is a Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 (2.16 GHz). Other than the fact I had to argue with the clowns to make sure it didn't come preinstalled with junk I have been pretty happy with the Machine.

Why do you think the 2.0 GHz is the highest upgrade they offer? Mine is one up from the one you mentioned and there was another one up from that at 2.33 GHz. If I remember correctly there are 4 Intel Core 2 Duo processors for laptops and the one you mentioned was second from the bottom.

The highest upgrade it shows me is 2.0 for AMD and Intel.

Now I can't even find the page where they offer the 1501 with Intel. :angry:

Are you just looking at the online thing where you build your computer? Talk to a rep and you will get much farther. Also don't be afraid to push these clowns and if need be tell them to shove the PC up their a$$ if you don't get what you want.

HAHA! Yeah, I'll keep that in mind when ordering. Also, should I order over the phone or the internet?

I ordered over the phone so I could talk/argue with the sales person and get exactly what I wanted. I looked at what I wanted on line from the Dell site first than called and talked to a sales person and added/removed things that I could only do by talking to a sales person. You said earlier that the Intel Core 2 Duo Processor at 2.0 GHz was the most you could upgrade to. Well I can assure you they have better chips than that. That online thing of Dell's is very limiting. Get an idea of what you want from it than call and talk to them and go from there.

Dell like most places confuse can't with won't. If I had a dime for every time I have been told can't when what they are really saying is won't I would be a millionaire. These clowns just need some one to unconfuse them. They act like they are doing you a favor by selling you the product. I straighten that misconception out really quick.