Different IP addresses?

DennisD

• Moderators

Just curious, but when using the services of Gibson Research or suchlike, for firewall tests, why do they come up with different IP addresses for me, and never actually the right one?

Is this something to do with my service provider maybe?

Just curious, but when using the services of Gibson Research or suchlike, for firewall tests, why do they come up with different IP addresses for me, and never actually the right one?

Depend on what kinda of service you have. if you using a router or diap-up, it always change, I think

Your ISP probably uses dynamic IP addresses, I know mine (AOL) does. There is an explanation of static and dynamic IP addresses here:

http://searchvb.techtarget.com/sDefinition...i520967,00.html

Not quite sure what you mean by the "right one".

Even on a broadband connection my ISP changes my IP address every few months for reasons best known to themselves.

If your ISP decide to reroute you through one of thier proxy servers that can also confuse websites like Gibsons. I used to get messages saying I had two IP addresses...

There is no "right one".

• Moderators
Not quite sure what you mean by the "right one".

There is no "right one".

No matter how old you get lotse, you can learn something new.

I've only ever once looked at the information on the "details" window popped up by the broadband icon in the sys tray.

That "details" window gives a lot of info including Client IP address and server IP address. Not until today did I realise that my IP address listed there actually changes.

I've just disconnected and reconnected, and it has changed.

So thanks for the observation, I'm always happy to learn something new.

:)

Which ISP are you with Dennis? Is it NTL / Telewest / VM? If so, they use proxy cache servers to speed up access to the web. Sometimes sites can see your "real" IP address, other times sites see the proxy IP address, which can be used by several thousand people at the same time. That's why sometimes sites like Google will temporarily block users of a particular proxy number for a while - it thinks it is under attack when it's just lots of different users trying to access the site with the same IP address.

This site explains more and also lists alternative proxy cache servers (assuming it is ntl ot telewest you are with you are with).

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.wal...ncache.html#ntl

• Moderators
Which ISP are you with Dennis? Is it NTL / Telewest / VM? If so, they use proxy cache servers to speed up access to the web.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.wal...ncache.html#ntl

Hey Robbie, haven't seen you for a while. My service provider is Talktalk, and I always have a direct connection to the internet. No proxies as far as I'm aware.

Just ever so slightly off topic here, but your team now has one of the best managers in the country, and a new owner with bottomless pockets.

Next season now looks really promising. :)

Hey Robbie, haven't seen you for a while. My service provider is Talktalk, and I always have a direct connection to the internet. No proxies as far as I'm aware.

Just ever so slightly off topic here, but your team now has one of the best managers in the country, and a new owner with bottomless pockets.

Next season now looks really promising. :)

at least with Big Sam we should have a decent defence for a change. As long as he doesn't forget that as well as an attack there is a midfield and that long ball football isn't the only way!

As for Talktalk - yeah, there is no proxies involved so I'm not sure why it should show that you have two IP numbers - that's a bit puzzling.

• Moderators
As for Talktalk - yeah, there is no proxies involved so I'm not sure why it should show that you have two IP numbers - that's a bit puzzling.

Two IP numbers? Every time I check it's different, 7 different addresses so far.

The link from JD explains it perfectly.

Requesting DHCP computers receive a dynamic IP address (think temporary phone number) for the duration of that Internet session or for some other specified amount of time. Once the user disconnects from the Internet, their dynamic IP address goes back into the IP address pool so it can be assigned to another user. Even if the user reconnects immediately, odds are they will not be assigned the same IP address from the pool. To keep our telephone telephone analogy going, using a dynamic IP address is similar to using a pay phone. Unless there is a reason to receive a call, the user does not care what number he or she is calling from.