Firefox Fans Patch Faithfully

Humpty

According to Secunia, 5.19 percent of all Firefox 2 users had missed security updates. For IE6, which is used by nearly half of all Web surfers, that number was 9.61 percent. Microsoft's latest IE7 browser had a number much closer to Firefox's results: 5.40 percent.

Opera was the least likely to be patched. 11.96 percent of all Opera 9.x browsers were missing updates, Secunia found

Article

• Moderators

Does opera have auto updates? I don't even know... (I always just grab them off filehippo because they usually have it before the main opera site)

If it doesn't thats why it is the lowest. With Firefox it will auto update as long as you don't tell it not too.(same goes with anyone running xp that had IE7 auto installed).

Does opera have auto updates? I don't even know... (I always just grab them off filehippo because they usually have it before the main opera site)

If it doesn't thats why it is the lowest. With Firefox it will auto update as long as you don't tell it not too.(same goes with anyone running xp that had IE7 auto installed).

Opera really doesn't have updates like Firefox or IE. The Opera updates are full versions of the browser. So if you select "check for updates" from the help menu in Opera and it detects one you will be down loading and installing a full version of Opera over your current version. In Firefox the updates are patches not full versions of the browser.

Opera really doesn't have updates like Firefox or IE. The Opera updates are full versions of the browser. So if you select "check for updates" from the help menu in Opera and it detects one you will be down loading and installing a full version of Opera over your current version. In Firefox the updates are patches not full versions of the browser.

Another reason to like Firefox :) better.

fireryone

Another reason to like Firefox :) better.

It seems to me there are more problems with Firefox updates than Opera.

Also you can't really just skip an update in Firefox and than update later to the current version. Lets say you are using 2.0.0.3 like I am. When 2.0.0.4 comes out if I decide to skip it I can't just update to 2.0.0.5 when it comes out. In Opera you could because each version is a full version of the browser. I often skip Opera updates if nothing significant is in the new version and my current version is working well (if it isn't broke why fix it). Than several versions later when a new feature is introduced that I would like I update. Skipping the previous updates doesn't cause a problem because the updates are full versions. Can't get away with that in Firefox. You would need to do a clean install or go find the updates you missed and install them in proper order. This has been my experience.

Also you can't really just skip an update in Firefox and than update later to the current version. Lets say you are using 2.0.0.3 like I am. When 2.0.0.4 comes out if I decide to skip it I can't just update to 2.0.0.5 when it comes out.

Maybe, but apart from the major version updates (ie 1.5>2.0) nearly all FF updates are bugfixes or security updates so why would you want to skip them.

Maybe, but apart from the major version updates (ie 1.5>2.0) nearly all FF updates are bugfixes or security updates so why would you want to skip them.

Some updates cause more problems than their worth. Every time there is an update I check out the Firefox forums and there are hundreds of threads about people having major problems. I haven't yet though. ;)

Some updates cause more problems than their worth. Every time there is an update I check out the Firefox forums and there are hundreds of threads about people having major problems. I haven't yet though. ;)

But you will get that on a forum (though I think 'hundreds' is a slight exaggeration), you're not gonna get the millions off people who update without a problem posting there. You could judge CCleaner in the same way and say its not very good cos of all the posts of people having problems with it. Ok so lately CCleaner has had a few issues but even when it was going through periods of flawless updates there were still posts with people having problems. Its the same with Firefox but on a much bigger scale due to the number of FF users.

But you will get that on a forum (though I think 'hundreds' is a slight exaggeration), you're not gonna get the millions off people who update without a problem posting there. You could judge CCleaner in the same way and say its not very good cos of all the posts of people having problems with it. Ok so lately CCleaner has had a few issues but even when it was going through periods of flawless updates there were still posts with people having problems. Its the same with Firefox but on a much bigger scale due to the number of FF users.

Yes I agree. I was just pointing out that the update process is different in Opera than Firefox and why it might be an issue with some. I update Firefox every time and have no problems as of yet but skipping updates with FX isn't really an option for the reasons I stated earlier. Since this thread is about FX updates I just thought I'd mention it. ;)