Last two versions and secure clean

ntg

The last two versions of CClener (1.39) crash whenever the option

of 'Secure File Deletion' is set.

Version 1.38 works just fine with this option ...

I was hoping this would be fixed in the latest release but the

same crash happens.

Please fix ...

same crash happens.

Please fix ...

Interesting that someone else is having a problem with secure deletion. It at least runs for me in the last two versions, but compared to 1.38 they are ohhhhh-sooooo-slow. Whatever was done to 'enhance' secure deletion in 1.39 and later sure slowed it considerably. TOO much to be worthwhile, IMHO. If only CCleaner would have the option to erase file tips (instead of the entire file) during single pass deletion, I have no doubt that execution speed would not be an issue. Better still, add 'file tip erasure only' to the list of options under secure deletion. Thanks for listening.

Interesting that someone else is having a problem with secure deletion. It at least runs for me in the last two versions, but compared to 1.38 they are ohhhhh-sooooo-slow. Whatever was done to 'enhance' secure deletion in 1.39 and later sure slowed it considerably. TOO much to be worthwhile, IMHO. If only CCleaner would have the option to erase file tips (instead of the entire file) during single pass deletion, I have no doubt that execution speed would not be an issue. Better still, add 'file tip erasure only' to the list of options under secure deletion. Thanks for listening.

I have the opposite problem; secure deletion seems way to fast! lol It wouldn't be a problem if CC really was overwriting, but it's happening too fast to be possible.

I tested it with a 97MB file and CC set to overwrite 7 times. I deleted the file then used CC to clear my Recycle Bin. The drive activity stops way to fast for writing almost 700MB, so I'm assuming that CC is only doing a simple removal.

BTW, I'm running Vista Home Premium and CC only runs without an error, with something in the Recycye Bin", if I use the "Run as administrator" option from the Right-click context menu.

When I had Windows XP, it was clear that secure deletion was working because I could hear lots of drive activity for wiping big files. ;)

I'm wondering if perhaps we will end up needing different versions for different operating systems. Could be my paranoia, but it seems to me some of these problems were introduced during the period of making this rascal more 'Vista compatible.' Hope I'm wrong, but for now, V1.38 does everything I want and need, with the exception of secure file name erasing...

I'm wondering if perhaps we will end up needing different versions for different operating systems. Could be my paranoia, but it seems to me some of these problems were introduced during the period of making this rascal more 'Vista compatible.' Hope I'm wrong, but for now, V1.38 does everything I want and need, with the exception of secure file name erasing...

I think it may be that secure deletion is only not working for the Recycle Bin. I created a folder called Rejects and added it to the Custom Clean list then copied the 97 MB file there and did a cleanup. It seemed to take a reasonable amount of time for overwriting it 3 times as I had it set for.

The problem with getting things to work in Vista, is getting the permissions right. UAC keeps programs from accessing certain things unless the programmer jumps through just the right hoops. lol The things that M$ has implemented into Vista to protect us are a bit maddening for a "Power User", so I can't even imagine how it must be for a programmer.

same crash happens.

Please fix ...

This same problem is also happening in version 140.520 and it started today with me. I put it on 3 sweeps and that seemed to stop it for now. But if memory serves me correctly, I did that before and not long it starting crashing with three sweeps also. This is a very good product and I hope that this bug can be fixed.

Ivan