Faststone Capture is now Shareware!

daggerXtreme

Why is faststone capture now shareware? When you go there website, it says "buy now". after I downloaded the new version 5.4, it told me to enter serial key....

Well, lucky for me, I still have 5.3, the free version. Anyone explain the logic on why it turned shareware?

I don't use any of their software but it seems they have a few other shareware programs too:

http://www.faststone.org/order.htm

I think all software developers fine tune their free programs in the hope of eventually being purchased by a larger vendor, or by having enough faithful users so that they can distribute the program online or through retailers for some financial reward. Can you blame them?

Sysinternals.com is a great example in that Microsoft bought them out (or hired the programmer).

Piriform must be thinking the same thing with CCleaner. I think that even some of the Microsoft tech boards recommend it.

Thanks Hazelnut, I was beginning to think I would have to fork out for "Snagit" software until I read this thread

Acording to this site,

http://ffextensionguru.wordpress.com/2007/...no-longer-free/

the same might happen to the faststone image viewer. They also have links (in English!) to version 5.3 of the capture software and the image viewer.

The german site did link to version 5.3 :rolleyes:

Does anyone know of a Firefox extension so I can get an icon on my toolbar for the capture program?

• Moderators

I'm pleased I keep the Installation Packages of just about everything decent I've downloaded on disc.

You never know when you might want to change your mind about something you binned.

Does anyone know of a Firefox extension so I can get an icon on my toolbar for the capture program?

I've recently had a trawl through the add-ons site, and can't remember seeing anything connected with screen capture.

I use Faststone Capture a lot, and used to have it configured to load with windows straight into the sysytem tray, but now I just have it pinned to the start menu.

I found this extension, which allows you to create you own custom buttons.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2707

However, unless your good at script/code writeing I would give it a miss.

There is a forum dedicated to this extension, from which I managed to alter a previously made script to open Faststone, but it also came with extra code and drop down menus for other external apps, which I couldn't sucessfully get rid off - I wanted one button for the Fastone utility.

I wouldn't imagine I am allowed to post the forum link here (although I see no conflict). It is full of useful info, but I found is very lacking on info regarding basic coding skills - it really isn't my forte.

However if anyone with a more technical background than me would like to give the coding a go I will post the link with the mods consent-

I've given up - It drove me crazy for hours!

I eventually put a link in my quicklaunch toolbar..

I found this extension, which allows you to create you own custom buttons.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2707

However, unless your good at script/code writeing I would give it a miss.

There is a forum dedicated to this extension, from which I managed to alter a previously made script to open Faststone, but it also came with extra code and drop down menus for other external apps, which I couldn't sucessfully get rid off - I wanted one button for the Fastone utility.

I wouldn't imagine I am allowed to post the forum link here (although I see no conflict). It is full of useful info, but I found is very lacking on info regarding basic coding skills - it really isn't my forte.

However if anyone with a more technical background than me would like to give the coding a go I will post the link with the mods consent-

I've given up - It drove me crazy for hours!

I eventually put a link in my quicklaunch toolbar..

I wound up with a huge Faststone Capture logo sign in my "Customize" buttons chest. Had to uninstall the custom buttons to get rid of it.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the link, not come across that site before, very useful :)

Which one? I've spent more time perusing Pricelesswarehome.org than freewarearena.

Pricelesswarehome.org has archived ISO files of all their recommended freeware by year.

The files are over 600 mg but very useful for archival purposes.