Microsoft: Forget about IE7, Download Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1

Jawbax

"No, it is not a joke. It is instead a genuine recommendation from Microsoft. Simply forget about Internet Explorer 7 and download Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1 instead. The previous version of the Microsoft browser is alive and clicking and with an active download link. Just what users need."

See article...

• Moderators
"No, it is not a joke. It is instead a genuine recommendation from Microsoft.

A real genuine recommendation would be to completely forget about IE by not using it and instead use Firefox, Opera, or some other third-party browser that isn't as exploitable. ;)

Come to think of it and strangely enough IE is the most updated browser if the monthly critical security patches for it are taken into consideration. :rolleyes:

IE7 is just sad. Took MS 5 or 6 years to develop a total peice of junk. How can MS not be totally embarrassed at releasing this thing when there are free browsers that are hundreds of times better. I mean IE7 isn't free. You must have a legit version of Windows (which you have to pay for) before you can infect your machine with IE7. Firefox and Opera are so far ahead of IE7 it's like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford Focus with 4 flat tires and a blown engine. The Ferrari is free and the trashed Focus is not. What car would you pick?

A real genuine recommendation would be to completely forget about IE by not using it and instead use Firefox, Opera, or some other third-party browser that isn't as exploitable. ;)
Heh, right you are Andavari.

Come to think of it and strangely enough IE is the most updated browser if the monthly critical security patches for it are taken into consideration. :rolleyes:
That's about right. Well... besides Opera. They seem to come out with Beta versions every week at BetaNews which by the way their Beta's are VERY* Stabled. Not that Beta's really count but they give a heads up on what's being looked at or what's going to be fixed within the next Release.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Opera is the best browser. :rolleyes:

Ditto on that. I have been pleased ever since my transition from Firefox (not to say Firefox isn't great).

New_Age >> I see your avatar of IE7Pro...comments on it?

New_Age >> I see your avatar of IE7Pro...comments on it?
Well, IE7Pro is great. Has alot of features! You should try it.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators
nor the plug in for it(downthemall).

I didn't like that plugin either, however I've been spoiled by the no longer supported or updated Download Mage which I bought a license for years ago, and luckily it works with WinXP when I decide to download an obnoxiously large file for even broadband.

You should try Opera or Firefox.. :lol:
I use FireFox mostly thank you... <_<

• Moderators

I have IE7 with IE7 Pro, Opera, and Firefox. I just like Firefox for the customization, all the plugins, and themes. Since it's widely used there is alot of stuff for it.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators
And something to keep it from crashing.

I had that problem with it when it was just beginning to be developed and released and everyone was stating your PC is broken which was b.s. as it was a software conflict of either something in FF or something installed that FF didn't get along with. That behaviour lasted for a very long time (over a full year) until out of nowhere someone decided to fix something in FF. :rolleyes:

About all it's missing now is the kitchen sink.

Two features that I really like in Opera that Firefox does not have an extension for is Fit to Width and Zoom. From what I have read Firefox isn't capable of these even if some one wanted to make an extension for them. The high quality zoom that Opera has is supposed to be coming in Firefox 3 but I haven't heard anything about Fit to Width. Opera is the only browser I know of that has this feature.

• Moderators

Firefox 1.5 worked great for me. Never crashed and worked just the way I wanted it too.

Firefox 1.0 and 2.0 crash every time I try to use them for more than 5 minutes.

I'm using IE7 and Seamonkey right now and both are working great. IE7 is what I've been using most of the time but I'm trying to switch to seamonkey for the spellchecker.(since I obviously need it. :P )

I'm not sure what you mean by zoom..

Just about any modern browser can zoom in on text and firefox even has an extension to zoom in on pictures as well.

What I mean by zoom is the drop down menu that goes from 20%-1000% in Opera. Firefox has text size increases but does not zoom any where near as good as Opera. I have tried all the zoom addons and they are not as nice. As for zooming pictures the extension for Firefox that does that is Image Zoom and I use it. It's very nice but different than Opera zoom.

Here is a little write up by the author of a Firefox zoom extension explaining what I am talking about when I say Firefox does not have Opera Zoom. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1499

• Moderators

So IE7 will do what your talking about then.

To be honest I haven't needed to zoom in on anything since using windows 98 and probably IE5. Back when the standard monitor size was like 12 inches. :P Now I don't have smaller then a 17 in monitor(laptop is smallest but its widescreen so its still pretty big) and everything is nice and clear. :D

I get what your saying though. IE will keep the formatting of the page and just make everything bigger where as firefox will just make the text bigger and the formatting will get all funky looking. Its litterally zooming in on the whole page.

I get what your saying though. IE will keep the formatting of the page and just make everything bigger where as firefox will just make the text bigger and the formatting will get all funky looking. Its litterally zooming in on the whole page.

Yes, exactly.

As for IE7 zoom I find it messes some pages up to. Opera has the best zoom. I don't use it much either but it's nice when I need it. It's no big deal that Firefox doesn't have it yet but it is a feature, along with Fit to Width, that Opera has and Firefox doesn't.