Looking for an MPEG joiner...

LuLu

Does anyone know of a decent (freeware) MPEG joiner? I used to use CamelsMPEG joiner on my old PC, but for some reason it doesn't work on this one (maybe because it's not compatible with XP???). So I'm now using MpegMerge, but it's not as good as Camel's was. It causes too many pauses where the files were actually joined and the overall quality just doesn't seem as good as it should be. Any takers on this one?

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

• Moderators

Not sure if these are any good to you Lulu, but they are both freeware.

Not sure of the site (although McAfee says it's OK), so I downloaded and scanned and installed them under Power Shadow. No alarm bells.

They appear to be OK.

This one looks pretty good, been playing some Divx files in it.

AviSplit.jpg.xs.jpg

Haven't tried this one as I have no suitable files for it.

CombiMove.jpg.xs.jpg

Anyway, they're not new, so if they're no good, or if you've seen them before, no worries, bin them.

Gonna have a play around with them myself.

Available here:

Edit: Sorry Lulu, was an Avi file I was playing, not a Divx. :wacko:

Hey thanks! I'll give 'em a shot. :D

Well CombiMove looked really good so I downloaded and installed it. And of course, I had a "special" problem that I can't figure out. I put my mpeg clips in the order I want them to be joined. I go to click the "Join" button but it won't let me. BUT if I put the files in all jumbled up, it's clickable. I looked in the help file thing and even tried another series of video clips and got the same result. Why do these things happen to me? LOL I'm thinking of renaming the files to see if that helps, but I'll do that tomorrow. It's bed-time for me. Thanks again for finding that program. :)

Thanks you guys! I'll try 'em out. :)

If you're joining mpeg-1 files, TMPGEnc Version 2.524 is the most all-emcompassing free tool you can find. It allows you to do alot of other editing, too.

Pegasys bought it a few years ago, and released some other fine pay software, plus a payware version of this that includes mgeg-2 editing.

This is the freeware version. There's many sites that offer tutorials.

http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/e_main.html

To join mpeg files, cancel the project wizard, and just click

File/Mpeg Tools/

Use the Merge&Cut tab, add files and run. If the files aren't compatible, it will tell you immediately. If you so desire, you can convert them into a compatible format. It's not as simple as the previous program, but it performs a very clean edit. Most of these programs are just a front end for the old Dos "copy /b" command.

Well so far MpegJoin has been the best.

I'm not sure if they are Mpeg-1 files, but will check. If they are, I'll try out TMPGEnc. Thanks!