Any suggestions for freeware drive imaging software?

Madmartigan

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with freeware drive imaging software. I was looking at DriveImage XML, but wanted to see if anyone had any better suggestions. I saw the thread for the free Acronis True Image v.10 but I don't have a seagate or maxtor hard drive. Any help would be appreciated! :)

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with freeware drive imaging software. I was looking at DriveImage XML, but wanted to see if anyone had any better suggestions. I saw the thread for the free Acronis True Image v.10 but I don't have a seagate or maxtor hard drive. Any help would be appreciated! :)

First of all, can you tell us what are you using it for because it is hard to find a freeware image that include all the features?

Acronis true image,for example, has many features such as partition, back up and free zone thingy-which is very useful, on the other hand, Gpart can only partition and convert different type of file systems. another one i used before is xclone, (don't rememeber if the name is right)- but you have to have a 2nd hard drive so it can make a ultimate copy, like a back up. Hope it help :)

you can download a version of symantec ghost solution suite to make your image. it will be a trial but its full function.

-mk

For the last two months or so in the US, Symantec has been offering the Norton Internet Security/Ghost/Partition Magic package free after $70 in rebates.

I think the smaller of the rebates ($20) was a competitive upgrade. Considering you could have all three programs for $20, I think it's still a good buy (even though I don't use NIS). I bought it online from Outpost.com several months ago and received my rebates about one month later.

From what I've read though, Norton AV for 2007 has been scaled down in terms of resource usage and AV-comparatives has it highly rated. I reserve the right to use it in the future. ;)

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/download/hdclone-free-327.aspx

Have you tried HDClone Free

his free version of HDClone can be used to make an exact copy (or clone) of a hard disk (IDE/ATA/SATA).

A clone can come in useful in many ways, such as transferring your setup to a new PC (or hard drive), or making a backup of your stable setup.

Before you can use HDClone you'll need to create boot disk (CD or floppy), but full instructions on how to do this are included. This is then used to boot the PC in order to begin the cloning process.

Once you've created a boot disk, you simply restart your PC from this bootable disk and follow the on-screen instructions.

Copying speed is limited to around 300MB/min, but this isn't really a problem; just set it to do its job and go off and do something else.

Note the free version can only backup/clone to a larger drive.

fireryone