Email with ads

hazelnut

• Moderators

No big surprise there since aol blows.

The yahoo beta mentioned in that link is actually pretty cool. I've been using it since they released it(for when I use yahoo anyway) and its pretty impressive. Its the closest you can get to using an outlook/thunderbird like application on the web.

Yeah I noticed the AOL ad one day when I was checking my mail. I'm an AOL user myself (and yes, it blows big time..lol) but it's free so I try not to complain too much. Luckily, I don't use AOL for business so the ad doesn't affect me directly, but I do think it was a bad move for AOL to impliment it without getting our (the users) say on the matter and without notifying us first. Not to mention there was no notification for the ads now displayed in chat rooms and in our mailbox window itself. All bad moves on AOL's part. It's no wonder people are switching to different services.

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

• Moderators
It's no wonder people are switching to different services.

People have been leaving AOL for years and not looking back. I could easily go on a rant rampage about AOL and my disdain about their services and practices, but I won't hence it's all common knowledge of how much the suck.

I could easily go on a rant rampage about AOL and my disdain about their services and practices

Oh you're not the only one. :lol: I've only stayed with it because I can't be bothered trying to switch over all my emails to another service. Plus, it's free now. At least I'm not paying for a poopy service anymore. haha :lol:

I couldn't agree more with the anti AOL tone of this thread. My "not so young" mother is in the process of switching ISPs and it is not easy or much fun trying to extracate yourself from their clutches.

On the same subject can anyone help me with "favourites" and AOL. Is there a way of exporting "your" favourites in AOL to IE without buying third party software? (although AOL call them "our" favourites...????) You can export them, just not in any format any other browser will recognise...

Another underhand trick to keep you with them. They deserve all the abuse they get.

Any help would be appreciated.

I couldn't agree more with the anti AOL tone of this thread. My "not so young" mother is in the process of switching ISPs and it is not easy or much fun trying to extracate yourself from their clutches.

On the same subject can anyone help me with "favourites" and AOL. Is there a way of exporting "your" favourites in AOL to IE without buying third party software? (although AOL call them "our" favourites...????) You can export them, just not in any format any other browser will recognise...

Another underhand trick to keep you with them. They deserve all the abuse they get.

Any help would be appreciated.

If it's a "favorite" specifically found in AOL (like AOL Radio or something), then as far as I know you can't transfer them. If it's a regular WWW address, then you just have to go to the site in IE (or whatever outside browser you use) and add it there like you would a normal "favorite".

Thanks Lulu, that is one way. But what if you have several hunderd bookmarks?

Its a job that takes 2 minutes with any other browser, but would take 2 hours if your doing it one bookmark at a time as AOL forces you to do.

That would be the last option I would reccomend to my mother - although I fear its the only free one. :angry:

Thanks Lulu, that is one way. But what if you have several hunderd bookmarks?

Its a job that takes 2 minutes with any other browser, but would take 2 hours if your doing it one bookmark at a time as AOL forces you to do.

I'm not sure of a freebie program that does it easily. I've never seen one. Unfortunately, it's just another way AOL has it's users by the short-hairs. :huh:

I have AOL, Cox Internet Mail, and GMail... I love GMail, considering how you can organize your stuff and save it all, if you don't like to delete things.

GMail has adds, but they are unobtrusive in my opinion.

AJ

Just one correction to the original story. The ads AREN'T attached to emails, they are user end only. A workaround to avoid seeing these ads is to drag the bottom of the email off the bottom of the screen so the ad is not visible, then click on 'Window' and select 'Remember windows size and position'. Or use Thunderbird for opening and writing your AOL emails.

Yes there is:

http://www.linkagogo.net/go/Convert?inform...format=netscape ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah I noticed the AOL ad one day when I was checking my mail. I'm an AOL user myself (and yes, it blows big time..lol) but it's free so I try not to complain too much. Luckily, I don't use AOL for business so the ad doesn't affect me directly, but I do think it was a bad move for AOL to impliment it without getting our (the users) say on the matter and without notifying us first. Not to mention there was no notification for the ads now displayed in chat rooms and in our mailbox window itself. All bad moves on AOL's part. It's no wonder people are switching to different services.

Hi Why have anything to do with AOL.It is a lame company and it makes a living of ripping people off.When I got my first computer.They told me what ever you do don't have anything to do with AOL.The guy from Comcast came to my house to hook up broadband.He said what ever I did don't get messed around with AOL.So I stayed away from AOL.Now I know why they gave me that advise.

Hi Why have anything to do with AOL.

Because, at least here in the UK, they are cheap with great connection and no download limits. Yes the software is a bit sh*t but you don't have to use that at all (I don't)

. ..... don't have to use that at all (I don't)

I remember when you did 'have' to use it (or at least leave it running).

Back in my early 'dial-up' days we tried AOL (Before it was PrimusAOL here in Australia),

Whenever you closed their browser it disconnected you from the internet.... :angry: ,

If there was a setting to turn it off I never found it...

While I'm at it, our first internet access was on the Dreamcast it was fun typing emails (so my early dial-up experience wasn't that long ago I suppose :lol: ....)

fireryone

I remember when you did 'have' to use it (or at least leave it running).

Back in my early 'dial-up' days we tried AOL (Before it was PrimusAOL here in Australia),

Whenever you closed their browser it disconnected you from the internet.... :angry:

Oh yeah, my apologies I'd forgotten about when I was on dial up. At least they gave the option (IIRC) of just using the dialler in AOL9. But certainly with broadband you don't ever need to use the software. I created a DUN connection to connect to broadband at startup without AOL, use GAIM/Pidgin or Miranda for IM and can use Thunderbird for checking AOL email.

Been on AOL broadband for about 2 years and in that time only had one period of downtime (about 2 hours) and only about 2 disconnects in that whole time so I'm happy with it.

We are on broadband now (Internode.on.net), wouldn't go back to dial-up.... :D

Good to see AOL changed from forcing you to use the browser, though I don't imagine we will use them again.

fireryone