Newcomer Challenges the Antivirus Establishment

Humpty

I don't intend to try the app in the link below atm.Just posting as a matter of interest.

Start-up Robot Genius claims that it has a new way to fight malware and that established vendors have some catching up to do.

The Robot Genius client software, called Spyberus, uses a driver-based filtering technique to monitor and track like an audit trail all installed files on a system.

"We have their scanning engines, and the best antivirus products only catch 60 percent of the malware we detect," boasts Hsu.

PC world article

A fella over at Wilders threw some tests at it.Seems it ain't that good.

Thanks for this. I see many were prepared to take the plunge given the bold statements by the company. One did comment on PC World not being worth it anymore. I tend to agree given this last article. Isn't it irresponsible journalism where you publish something so bold and the only source of info you write on is from the company itself? Where is the propoer research taking in other commentary from AV's providers? Where are tests to test this company's statements? :angry:

I tend to see this irresponsibility in many forms of journalism and unfortunately it's all about freedom of speech.

I remember this program when it was being promoted early last year

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=77280

I tested it at the time and it wasnt great, it was fine to reverse the changes made by Adware type programs that already had add/remove screen entries and uninstallers but it had alot of problems with more nasty infections like rootkits and trojans that hook to system files, it kept showing it had fully removed files then crashing at random points when it was reversing the changes and the same files were there again when it reopened. It also appeared to interfere with other programs as I had problems at times opening security programs and tools I had installed but they opened fine after Spyberus crashed which it did about 4 or 5 times in the space of 1 hour on an infected machine so I gave up and havent tried it since.

Hopefully its improved alot since then :unsure: