Setting Up A Network

CTskifreak

Here's the thing, I have 2 computers, a Dell running Windows XP Home and a custom built (partially crappy machine) running Windows 2000 Pro. I thought I could network them, mainly to share files and share a printer. I have a Linksys Wireless G w/Speedbooster router, and I have both of them connected through that, sharing my cable internet connection.

I tried setting up a network starting with the Dell, and I went through all of the steps, but then when it said to insert the XP disc into the other computer, I tried that and it said that my OS (Win 2k Pro) couldn't be networked. This was a while ago, and I tried searching online, to know avail. If anyone knows how to do this, or has a site that would be helpful, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

AJ

Your not on your lonesome here.

On my first and last attempt to setup a network! :unsure:

Setup up a wireless for a friend with the main pc hardwired, another pc on wireless and a laptop all connecting to the net no probs.

All on XP pro.

Trying to see each of the other computers and I just can't do it.

Probably as easy as pie and I ran all the wizards but just can't get a grip on it. :(

• Moderators

XP networking is dead easy. (sorry not trying to make fun of you humpty. :D Once you figure it out you will laugh at how easy it is)

All you really have to make sure of is that they all have the same workgroup name.(also disable any software firewalls while doing it).

Printer sharing is really simple as well, just make sure you have the disc that came with the printer or download the drivers to a disc and have it handy while doing it.

Here is how to set up a network.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...up/default.mspx

Here is a tutorial on printer sharing.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...cutt_july2.mspx

If all of the computer are running xp you don't need to use a windows disc. Just run the wizard and make sure they have the same network group name.

-------

I've never networked any windows 2000 computers but I have done win98. This might help:

http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm#10step

----------------------

I have 3 desktops(2 xp, 1 98se) and them my laptop all networked together where I can print and share files on any of my computers. :D

My next step is to get a networked hard drive or maybe just build a cheap pc with a couple of large HDs that I can use to hold all of my media files. :)

OK, thanks Rridgely. :)

Have two computers here both hardwired to a four port router.

Will have a play around with my setup before attempting to get my friends working again.

And I know what you mean that once I know how to do it I'll think - "What an absolute d#%^&*$d I am!" :rolleyes:

Rridgely, if I could..I'd give you a hug right now!!! :P:D

LOL---I looked at the website earlier today, but then I changed the workgroup on my Windows 2K Pro machine, renamed it just to be sure, went back to the Dell, clicked set up local area connection...went through the steps, and BAM! It works!!! Took a little longer to get the printer set up, but I successfully printed a document from the Dell on to my older HP DeskJet 682C.

Now tomorrow's task, switch out my old printer to the Epson Ultra Hi-Definition R260 Photo Printer that I got for Christmas, and to figure out the easiest way to share documents.

It's 10:48 PM eastern time right now, and I started my network attempt at like 10:30. Done within, 5-8 minutes

AJ

• Moderators

I'm glad you figured it out. (Now that you got it, you think its super easy right?) :D

Its pretty cool to be able to print from a laptop or a computer that isn't in the same room as the printer. B)

Now just make sure that your wireless network is secure.(Use WPA encryption)

• 1 month later...

ok i will read those links tomorrow. questions? Can i set up my laptop to be able to access files on my desktop (including my external drives on the desktop), and can I set up the network to share Two printers? And can i send print jobs wirelessly?

thanks!

• Moderators

Yes to all of those.

Its hard for me to explain, but its very simple.

I'm sure you can figure it out, but if you need some help I'll try my best to explain. (I posted a link in the other topic about printersharing, start there)

If needed hit me up with a PM and I'll give you my AIM name and I'll try to walk you through it. :)

so i followed the wizard on the desktop and it asked me if i wanted to create a disk. well i dont have xp disks so i said yes, but it only recognizes my external drive-not my burning drive. so i put in my usb stick and it said everything went well, and then i ran it on my laptop, but no go-said it didnt install properly, even though i ran the installer. hmmmmm.

• Moderators

You don't have to do that.

Just run the wizard on both computers and make sure they are on the same work group.

(disable any firewalls, even the windows one before you do this.) Then once you get the computers recognizing each other you can configure your firewalls.)

hmmm. trying it, but not working yet. i may have to read some more and see what happens. my system is DSL, comes in through the modem, and then goes to the router. desktop is set up wired to the router, laptop is wireless (though my house is wired throughout, but im not using it).

so should i set up the xp comp first and then the vistas one? can i set up a wired with a wireless on one network?

my network is set to home, and the firewalls are off on both comps, along with all other anti spyware, virus, etc.

do i need to install drivers or anything? the router is working great for both computers, stealthed, and protected, and no problems with either of them. :)

• Moderators

I haven't tried networking with a vista computer but, with xp you just run the set up wizard from the control panel. The main thing you have to pay attention to is "work group name" which by default is MSHome I believe. Change this to something you can remember or leave it the same(not recommended) and then run whatever wizard vista has and it should ask you at somepoint for a work group name. As long as they are the same on both computers, they should see each other on the network. :)

Ok, I did all that, and they still dont see eachother. Any ideas? My computer specs are in my signature, and my internet comes through DSL, into a modem, into my router, out to my desktop wired, and wireless to my laptop. My printer is hitched to my desktop. I am hoping to be able to use my laptop to access my desktop and printer.

HELP!