Firefox Extensions

rridgely

• Moderators

List all those cool little extensions that make browsing with firefox more productive, easy, or just more fun!

When you post your extensions make sure you list the name of the extension and write up a short but informative description. Try not to list the same extensions as others, also please either link your extensions from the mozilla site or the authors site.(to avoid any issues)

My Extension are:

TabMixPlus

Tab Mix Plus enhances Firefox's tab browsing capabilities. It includes such features as duplicating tabs, controlling tab focus, tab clicking options, undo closed tabs and windows, plus much more. It also includes a full-featured session manager with crash recovery that can save and restore combinations of opened tabs and windows.

All in one sidbar

All-in-One Sidebar is a sidebar control, inspired by Opera's. It lets you quickly switch between sidebars, view dialog windows such as downloads, extensions, and more in the sidebar, or view source code or websites in the sidebar. It includes a slide-out button and a toolbar, all of which can be extensively customized.

Spell Bound(beta that works with current firefox)

This is a in line spell checker for firefox. It checks the spelling of anything in text input areas.(forums, search engines, email, ect.)

You have to install a dictionary. Just choose your language and then your ready to go!

http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/dictionaries.html

Colorful Tabs

The most beautiful yet the simplest add-on that makes a strong colorful appeal. Colors every tab in a different color and makes them easy to distinguish while beautifying the overall appearance of the interface.

Adblock

Get rid of all those ads! With this extension you should never see internet ads ever again. It makes the internet more fun to use!(note next extension to make adblock perfect)

Filter Set G updater

This is a companion extension to Adblock or Adblock Plus and should be used in conjunction with it. This extension automatically downloads the latest version of Filterset.G every 4-7 days. Filterset.G is an excellent set of filters maintained by G for Adblock that blocks most ads on the internet. In addition, this extension allows you to define your own set of filters that you can add along with Filterset.G during an update.

CustomizeGoogle

CustomizeGoogle is a Firefox extension that enhances Google search results by adding extra information (like links to Yahoo, Ask Jeeves, MSN etc) and removing unwanted information (like ads and spam).

My favorite extension. Removes ads, adds alternative search engines to try in the results screen, allows you to go directly to an image from an Image Search [without the stupid frame on the page]. It also has loads of other settings to customize Google related pages including an option for disabling their various tracking and identification features.

AddBookmarkHere

Easily add bookmarks via the rightclick context menu or in the Bookmarks tab.

Image Zoom

Easy to use extension that works with Firefox, Mozilla, Thunderbird, Netscape and Flock. If you have ever had an image that was too large to fit on your screen or too small to see the finer detail in your browser or email, then image zoom can help. Image zoom gives you complete control of the size of most images displayed in mozilla based software. Both individual images or whole pages of images can be zoomed.

Remove It Permanently [RIP]

Rip (Remove it Permanently) provides the ability to point at and remove permanently any item you can select. It provide a flexible and easily configurable solution to removing unwanted content from a web page. If it is just image based ad's removal you are looking for I suggest you use the rather excellent AdBlock extension and download a good list of regular expression for this extension. If on the other hand you want the power to choose what content you want removed, be it unwanted forms, text based ads or just areas of a page (or website) you don't want to see anymore, RIP is for you.

Dict

The Dict project is a Mozilla extension that lets you easily look up the definition of words on a Web page using an online dictionary. Simply select a word, right-click, and you'll see a menu option to define the selected word. The definitions are returned in a new window.

IE Tab

IE Tab, an extension from Taiwan, embeds Internet Explorer in a Mozilla/Firefox tab. This extension is derived from the famous extension IE View, but much different. While IE View always open IE-only pages in a seperate Internet Explorer window, IE Tab can view them in a Mozilla/Firefox tab.

McAfee SiteAdvisor

Color coded warnings about sites visited in the Status Bar. People seem to have mixed feelings about this extension but it doesn't seem to slow anything down and can serve as an added layer of protection by listing issues other people have found with the site. The website has a lot of info on what it does and how it works.

CuteMenus

Adds colorful icons to all menu items. Makes it easier [or at least more interesting] to read various menus.

Flashblock

Flashblock is an extension for the Mozilla, Firefox, and Netscape browsers that takes a pessimistic approach to dealing with Macromedia Flash content on a webpage and blocks ALL Flash content from loading. It then leaves placeholders on the webpage that allow you to click to download and then view the Flash content.

CustomizeGoogle

CustomizeGoogle is a Firefox extension that enhances Google search results by adding extra information (like links to Yahoo, Ask Jeeves, MSN etc) and removing unwanted information (like ads and spam).

Adblock Filterset.G Updater

An extension for Firefox that automatically updates Filterset.G. Also allows personal filters that persist across updates. Requires Adblock or Adblock Plus.

Adblock Plus

Ever been annoyed by all those ads and banners on the internet that often take longer to download than everything else on the page? Install Adblock Plus now and get rid of them. Right-click on a banner and choose ?Adblock? from the context menu ? the banner won?t be downloaded again. Or open Adblock Plus sidebar to see all elements of the page and block the banners. You can use filters with wildcards or even regular expressions to block complete banner factories.

Compact Menu

Compact Menu is an extension for the Mozillan Browser (Firefox) and Mail client (Thunderbird) that allows you to reorganize the menu options on the menu bar in such a way that the user has more horizontal space on the menu bar to add buttons or other options. It allows you to have one option called 'Menu' which acts as a drop-down list in which the normal menu items are shown in the order that they would appear on the menu bar. You can also choose to not display the word 'Menu' and use an icon instead.

GMail Manager

This is a Firefox extension that allows you to manage multiple Gmail accounts and receive new mail notifications. Displays account details including unread messages, saved drafts, spam messages, labels with new mail, space used, and new mail snippets.

TabMixPlus

Scroll up and see rridgely's description.

288olaow8888cq2.jpg

• Moderators

Dr.Web Anti-virus browser plug-in

Supported Browsers: Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer* and Opera.

Right click a URL ("link") or downloadable file and Dr.Web's online virus scanning service will scan the file for malware. Doesn't require any virus definitions on your system whatsoever it's all done quickly via Dr.Web's own fast servers.

* I tested it in Internet Explorer and it caused a "soft-crash".

It however works flawlessly in Firefox.

Thank's go to Hazelnut for mentioning this plugin/extension in another thread!

I only use the Adblock extension.

But I think that the follow extensions sound interesting;

hideBad - bosskey, quickly hides stuff.

Performancing - blogging tool

NoScript - disable Java/JavaScript for all domains you havent explicitly allowed.

firefox74b3d3.gif

firefox003366.gif

firefox999999.gif

firefox858c7f.gif

firefoxcc0000.gif

firefoxcc0099.gif

firefoxff6600.gif

firefoxffcc00.gif

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Temporary Inbox

Quote:

This extension generates random disposable email addresses. Use those email addresses for registration at forums, xxxxxxx or whatever.

The email addresses don't need registration.

This is an easy way to avoid spam, because the spammer never knows your private email address .. only the temporaryinbox.com email address.

And there the mails will be deleted after 6 hours.

Avoiding spam is sooo easy!

Link

18 extensions is not a lot, really. Especially if they're small, lightweight extensions, which most of those TonyKlein listed are.

My most important extension is Bookmark Backup. Despite the name, it can back up all your Firefox profile data automatically - and you really need to back that stuff up, data loss from the profile is not that rare.

Here's my complete list (inserted with the Nightly Tester Tools extension):

AllowClipboard Helper 0.5.3

BBCode 0.4.1.3

Bookmark Backup 0.4.2a2

ChatZilla 0.9.75

FlashGot 0.5.9.995

IE View Lite 1.2.1

Make Link 2.0.3

Nightly Tester Tools 1.1

QuickNote 0.6.0.2

ScrapBook 1.1.0.2

Talkback 2.0b2

WebmailCompose 0.6.6

I'm too lazy to describe them all. A couple I got because I run test builds - Nightly Tester Tools can force extensions to work with Firefox builds they weren't programmed for, among other handy features; ChatZilla is an IRC client I got so I could go on the Mozilla Testday channel. The current release of Bookmark Backup is 0.4.1, I'm testing an alpha of the next update. Talkback is installed along with Firefox, either randomly or you can chose to install it if you do a custom install of Firefox; it sends a report if the browser crashes. It says it's 2.0b2 because that's the Firefox version I'm running (it's a nightly build, the official release of 2.0b2 won't be for a week or so).

• Moderators

StumbleUpon

StumbleUpon helps you discover and share great websites. As you click Stumble!, we deliver high-quality pages matched to your personal preferences.

Just the thing whilst waiting for things to happen in your favourite forums.Have a stumble around the net.Can be quite addictive. :)

Requires an email address so just use Temporary Inbox from my earlier post.

Stumbleupon link

Super Drag and Go

Although this extension has several features (see link above), I primarily use it for Google searches. Highlight a word or phrase on a web page, then drag it just a hair in any direction. It automatically does a Google (or whatever your default search engine is) search of what you highlighted in a new tab.

TrackMeNot

is a lightweight browser extension that protects web-searchers against surveillance and data-profiling. It does so not by means of concealment or encryption (i.e. covering one's tracks), but instead, paradoxically, by the opposite strategy: noise and obfuscation. With TrackMeNot, actual web searches, lost in a cloud of false leads, are essentially hidden in plain view. User-installed TrackMeNot works with the Firefox Browser and popular search engines, e.g. AOL, Yahoo!, Google, and MSN, and requires no 3rd-party servers or services.

TrackMeNot

Restart Firefox

It does just as the name implies, it makes a button available that will restart firefox. :D You do have to drag it to your toolbar from view>toolbar>customize.

I know this is the ultimate in laziness. :D

Don't see the point of restarting the browser. Why would I want todo that?

TrackMeNot

is a lightweight browser extension that protects web-searchers against surveillance and data-profiling. It does so not by means of concealment or encryption (i.e. covering one's tracks), but instead, paradoxically, by the opposite strategy: noise and obfuscation. With TrackMeNot, actual web searches, lost in a cloud of false leads, are essentially hidden in plain view. User-installed TrackMeNot works with the Firefox Browser and popular search engines, e.g. AOL, Yahoo!, Google, and MSN, and requires no 3rd-party servers or services.

TrackMeNot

Sounds like an very interesting extension.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

Don't see the point of restarting the browser. Why would I want todo that?

Because like windows every time firefox updates anything it asks you to restart. :P

Or if you install a new theme or extension or whatever else.

Free Extensions
* Adblock Plus 0.7.1.2					- block ads
* Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.0.4	 - auto updated list of ads to block with AddBlock
* CustomizeGoogle 0.50					- essential for google, options to protects your 
										 privacy, can make helpful changes to the interface, 
										 remove the ads, etc.
* FlashGot 0.5.96.060823				  - downloader, I use it with Free Internet Downloader
* Image Zoom 0.2.6						- zoom images
* InfoLister 0.9e						 - gives helpful report of your extensions, themes, 
										 and plugins installed
* Linkification 1.2.4					 - linkify's plain text URLs
* McAfee SiteAdvisor 23.0				 - service which flags websites known to spam you if you
										 register with them or have spyware infested downloads.
* MR Tech Local Install 5.2			   - some customizations ot the extension page
* NoScript 1.1.4.1						- blocks javascript. you can selectively allow javascript 
										 for the sites you trust by clicking the status bar
* openselectedlinks 2006.01.14			- adds some menu items to open a bunch of selected links 
										 at once in tabs
* SearchPluginHacks 0.1.3				 - hm.. forgot what this was..
* Unwrap Text 0.3.1					   - hm.. forgot what this was..
* VideoDownloader 1.0					 - awesome, let's you download all those youtube, yahoo 
										 and google videos directly to your desktop,  plugin 
										 has been steadily rising in the top10 list.

Web Development Extensions				 --- I won't bother explaining these; If you're a web 
										   developer, you know these!
* Console? 0.3.5
* DOM Inspector 1.8.0.6
* Html Validator 0.7.9.3
* Java Console 6.0
* JavaScript Debugger 0.9.87
* Modify Headers 0.5.1
* Tamper Data 0.98
* View formatted source 0.9.4.6
* Web Developer 1.0.2

Commerical Extensions
* AI Roboform Toolbar for Firefox 6.7.4   - essential password/identity manager, fills forms, etc. 
										 commerical but nothing close to it.
* Surfulater Integration 1.5.3
									   - good software to store web clippings,  i like it better 
										 than free scrapbook extentions, it only cost me $15. (costs 
										 more now.)

All In One Sidebar

All-in-One Sidebar is a sidebar control, inspired by Opera's. It lets you quickly switch between sidebar panels, view dialog windows such as downloads, extensions, and more in the sidebar, or view source or websites in the sidebar. It includes a slide-out button and a toolbar, all of which can be extensively customized.

Download Embedded

Downloads all or selected embedded objects on a webpage. Can be used for downloading movies, mp3s, flash, quicktime, or other embedded files.

DownThemAll

It lets you download all the links or images contained in a webpage and much more: you can refine your downloads by fully customizable criteria to get only what you really want

Fetch Text URL

Open plain text URLs from the context menu

GreaseMonkey

A user Script manager for Firefox

IE Tab

Embeds Internet Explorer in a Mozilla/Firefox tab.

MR Tech Disable XPI Install Delay

Disables default delay when installing extensions.

PDF Download

Allows to choose if you want to view a PDF file inside the browser (as PDF or HTML), if you want to view it outside Firefox with your default or custom PDF reader, or if you want to download it

Resurrect Pages

What do we do when a page is dead but we still want to see it?

we use this extension.

Searches through five big page cache/mirrors:

* CoralCDN

* Google Cache

* Yahoo! Cache

* The Internet Archive

* MSN Cache

Of course, not every page can be in every cache. When a page is unavailable, you'll generally see that site's error page. Hit back and try another one

ShowIP

ShowIP is a Mozilla Firefox extension which shows the IP Address of the current page in the browser's status bar and allows queries to different databases about it when you right click on it. The IP is colored red for an IPv4 address and green for an IPv6 address.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to some of the ones already mentioned I really like

Viamatic Foxpose

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1457/

Autohide. This extension gives you full control over what bars appear in full screen mode. You make them all disappear and they will appear again when you move the cursor to them like in IE. Full autohide was the one thing Firefox was missing compared to IE for me. This is not from the the official addon site but it was recommended by many of the knowledgeable people on the Firefox forums. I have been using for a long time and it works great.

http://www.krickelkrackel.de/autohide/

TrackMeNot

TrackMeNot

Thanks a Million!!!!!!! For pointing this out. I knew everything we do on the internet is tracked some sort of way, but not this bad. Then again I'm not surprised.

Thanks a Million!!!!!!! For pointing this out. I knew everything we do on the internet is tracked some sort of way, but not this bad. Then again I'm not surprised.

Perhaps check some of the reviews on Mozilla HERE before using this extension. As is pointed out, if you were worried about being tracked would you really want potential search terms like guns, bombs etc being used to hide your perfectly innocent search terms. Good idea in principle but I think they need to work on the word list being used at the moment.

(I'm not saying don't use it, just be aware first)

Perhaps check some of the reviews on Mozilla HERE before using this extension. As is pointed out, if you were worried about being tracked would you really want potential search terms like guns, bombs etc being used to hide your perfectly innocent search terms. Good idea in principle but I think they need to work on the word list being used at the moment.

(I'm not saying don't use it, just be aware first)

"hamster whacking" LOL :D:huh::P:lol::o

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Extensions I use that haven't already been mentioned are:

Shazou: Find the server location of any website you're browsing.

Toolbar Control: Allows greater control and configuration of toolbars.

Open Selected Links: Highlight several links and open them all at once from the right click context menu.

Session Manager: Saves and restores the state of all windows - either when you want it or automatically at startup and after crashes allowing you to resume a previous browsing session from where you left off. Additionally it offers you to reopen (accidentally) closed windows and tabs.

Fission: Puts the progress bar in the address bar, making the progress bar more visible and allowing for a nice visual effect.

Options Menu: Provides quick access to the options dialogs of installed extensions via an 'Extension Options' cascade menu in the Tools menu or by a toolbar button.

eBay Negs: Right click an eBay users name and select eBay Negs from context menu to see only a users negative and neutral feedback comments.

FEBE (Firefox Extension Backup Extension): FEBE backs up your extensions, themes, and (optionally) your bookmarks, preferences, passwords, cookies and just about everything else Firefox offers.

Duplicate Tab: Allows you to clone a tab along with its history.

Google Preview: Shows a preview image alongside Google search results.

Disable Targets for Downloads: Stops blank tabs/windows being opened when you download a file.

Only theme I use is Glassier, a really smart simple theme.

(Also use Adblock, Site Advisor, Cute Menus, Restart Firefox, BB Code, Fasterfox, DownThemAll, Download Manager Tweak, Customize Google)