ccleaner for slimjet browser?

John Grey

• Moderators

with SlimJet being Chromium based, is it not being cleaned by CC currently?

what are you seeing left behind?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

To reinforce what @mta said the chrome section in ccleaner should clean that.

you may need to use a custom location

http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/advanced-usage/ccleaner-ini-files/how-to-clean-user-data-from-non-standard-mozilla-browsers

Replace the word firefox with CHROME

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

you were completely right John, no SlimJet cleaning despite it being Chromium based.

also spot on was the suggestion by @Nergal.

although it took some trial and error to get the path right to what CC could use.

the entry in ccleaner.ini file is this; CustomLocation1=CHROME|%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data\Default

then it'll work like a charm.

so although it's Chromium based, CC doesn't see it at all.

it is however covered by the enhancement winapp2.ini but I much prefer the cleaner solution on the CustomLocation entry.

I've have actually being playing around with other browsers this week, trying to see if any are comparable with my usage of Firefox.

I had narrowed it down to Opera but it has too many little 'characteristics' that I couldn't bend to my usage.

So I took this as an opportune time to play with SlimJet, and I'm liking what I see.

Thank you both

I went to where nerghal wrote, and read to add something to ccleaner.ini in the options... but there is no cleaner.ini

so I tried the second version and where I was told to add FIREFOX|C:\GeckoWo\profile\sam  (replacing GeckoWo with slimjet, I suppose?) in the edit string box-

On the slimjet add-on page I created a shortcut to ccleaner, but all it does is open slimjet and the ccleneer homepage!

As I see mta is using another entry than the oen the piriform help suggests

You show   CustomLocation1=CHROME|%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data\Default

Is that what I should try? It even looks a lot more sensible to a computer moron like myself...

• Moderators

Ccleaner.ini is a way of keeping your settings not in the registry. To begin using ccleaner.ini go to options advanced and tick the box to save settings in ini.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

@john,

yes, when you get the ccleaner.ini file to show, edit it and add that line of mine as is.

because the .ini file is in a Program Files folder, you will need to first open a text editor in elevated mode otherwise Windows will throw up an error when you try to save it.

so for example, click Start, find Notepad, right click it and Run as Administrator.

the navigate to ccleaner.ini and open it.

• Moderators

I think you may have the cart before the horse.  :)

in CC > Options > Advanced, tick Save all settings to INI file

now go to c:\program files\ccleaner and there should be a ccleaner.ini file, this is the file to open, from an elevated Notepad.

let us know...

• Moderators
Made two pictures, attached them...

Save to .ini is clicked on, and in the ccfolder there are 4 files, none of them is called .ini

Ah that's the problem. You have windows not telling you the extension (last 3 or 4 characters after the period).

The file you want is the one that says ccleaner and looks like a piece of paper with a gear.

It's good to show extensions so here's the how-to

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/865219/how-to-show-or-hide-file-name-extensions-in-windows-explorer

Thanks, I got it.

All right, so now back to the beginning. I have the note pad page, I have the .ini file.

Now I have to add:      CustomLocation1=CHROME|%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data\Default   ? 

where exactly? I have added it as the last line of the ini file and saved it.

On the slimjet - extensions page Ccleaner is shown as enabled

If that is all correct: Where do I click to clean slimjet?  On the applications list of ccleaner, chrome is not listed and slimjet neither----

• Moderators
Thanks, I got it.

All right, so now back to the beginning. I have the note pad page, I have the .ini file.

Now I have to add:      CustomLocation1=CHROME|%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data\Default   ? 

where exactly? I have added it as the last line of the ini file and saved it.

On the slimjet - extensions page Ccleaner is shown as enabled

If that is all correct: Where do I click to clean slimjet?  On the applications list of ccleaner, chrome is not listed and slimjet neither----

It looks right, maybe try without \default jic but I'm not sure why it didn't work

@mta there's a howto on doing it in the registry without ccleaner.ini but that wouldn't help us get further in this thread.

Definitely try without default

• Moderators

@john,

that CustomLocation is correct as it stands, I just double checked and CC cleaned SlimJet fine for me.

obviously you have to be out of SlimJet when running CC for it to work!

so close SJ, run CC in Analyse mode, and you'll see Chrome entries as per my first screenshot.  (don't forget Slimjet is a Chrome clone)

double clicking on those Chrome entries brings up my second screenshot, note the Slimjet entries.

post-64172-0-39092700-1503791289_thumb.png

post-64172-0-92841900-1503791289_thumb.png

"...so close SJ, run CC in Analyse mode, and you'll see Chrome entries as per my first screenshot.  (don't forget Slimjet is a Chrome clone)"

No, in the ccleaner analysis page , there NEVER is a single item Google or Chrome, as in your screenshot. There is also NO Google or Chrome on the "Cleaner" settings page on the left in either the windows nor rhe Apllication list! Google Earth is mentioned... that is all!

But anyway, I am sure I will remove slimjet again, it has too many problems, and no one ever answers specific questions in their forum. For example: Ccleaner for Firefox also has stopped removing all cookies, there is one from United Internet, that can only be removed manually. Ccleaner will not remove it. And when I ask in another thread why that is so.... no answer.

slimjet regularly changes the homepage or the search engines, whenever it chooses to, and with the most idiotic ones available. Saving passwords takes longer than typing them in every time....

The bad news for my kind (and if you check the forums you will see: for many!) of course is, that Ff keeps gets worse with every update...

Thank you for effort....

• Moderators

using the ccleaner.ini file is one method as customising what CC cleans.

winapp2.ini is another.

I've attached the portion that covers Slimjet (change .txt to .ini and put it into your CCleaner Program Files folder to use it).

but if you are moving on from Slimjet, maybe this technique may prove more successful than your current method for your next browser trail run.

as to your bad experiences with SJ, that's a shame, my usage is going great guns.

I've ditched FF now and solely use SJ.

I never use a browser's save password feature so I must have dodged that bullet, and I've removed the standard SJ default search engine and put in my preferred ones with customised URL parameters.

I'm yet to find something SJ has ticked me off with.

didn't know about their forum, I'll be checking that out.

winapp2.txt

• Moderators

sadly John, if your home page is changing, Slimjet nor any other browser will do that by design.

you have got some kind of malware on your PC and per Rule#10, we don't provide advice on that topic.

see Rule#10 here; https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showannouncement=15&f=5

I can recommend Bleeping Computer forum to get you started.

I have beenm using compters for almost 30 years and I know whne I have malware on it.

The point is again, NO other browser than slimjet allows something like this, and the adware is on the browser software not the rets of the computer. And the reason for this is the unnecessary complicated way to set up something outrageous like a homepage.

I have already completely uninstalled slimjet.

Thank you for your time.