After years of use, I'm starting to lose faith.

phixion

Not for the first time, CCleaner has decided to do something so that I can no longer boot Windows 10.

This has happened on multiple PC's and laptops and seems to be intermittent as to whether or not it completely destroys your Windows 10 install.

I've googled and seen others with this problem and still no fix, I'm losing faith. I think I will avoid until a fix is found, this is frustrating.

Yes, the same settings I've always used.

From research it seems to be when you delete the Windows.old folder that bad things can happen. I just can't trust it anymore as when it does happen it means I have to reinstall the entire system. Thankfully I keep important stuff backed up else I'd be extremely annoyed!

• Moderators

Yes, the same settings I've always used.

Sorry you'll have to elaborate,  is that a Yes to Advanced settings or a Yes to registry cleaning?

What build of WIn10 do you currently have and since there is/was a windows.old folder, when did you update WIn10 and from what build?

What version of CC are you using?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Yes to advanced settings.

Yes to registry cleaning.

The CCleaner options I use, are the same I've used since day 1 and they worked fine up until a few months ago.

Windows 10 is the latest build, most recently had this problem on a new Dell Laptop, which came preinstalled with Windows 10 although I've had it on my PC a few times too.

Current PC install is a fresh install from a Windows 10 USB stick and CCleaner appears to work fine. Laptop is also now using a USB stick install because I had no other option as it failed to boot after running CCleaner.

What could be causing this? I've been speaking to a friend who experienced this before me, he did a fresh Windows 10 install, ran updates, rebooted, ran CCleaner and couldn't reboot.

Here's some screenshots of my settings: http://imgur.com/a/lwuVl

• Moderators

is it Win10 build 15063.296?

if so, my guess is you are using (in this case) a cleanup program that was written before the product that is being cleaned.

who knows what changes, for example, MS have made to the registry that CC has no idea on how to handle.

but as stated, that is just a guess on my part.

did you take the offered backup when cleaning the registry?

was the PC not able to start to the Advanced Startup Options screen?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Deleting the Windows.old folder after updating to creators update should be done by using the Windows built in disk cleanup and not Ccleaner.

Also please read this thread

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=48181

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

@mta I format regularly, after updating Windows and installing all apps I tend to run CCleaner to clean out the crud left behind then reboot. This works most of the time, only when it doesn't work it can kill my system. All I get is a spinning icon on reboot. I've even attempted to run Windows Repair in order to fix whatever is broken and it won't work. So I'm not sure how making a backup would help if I can't even access Windows to roll back.

@hazelnut That explains it, although giving prior warning of this somewhere would be cool... CCleaner seems to be updated regularly, it wouldn't hurt to include a warning if you check Windows.old deletion.

I used the Windows 10 USB Tool to reinstall, if I had no access to another PC I'd be in deep trouble with this. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

if you install with this method, you don't have a Windows.old to worry about.

I love this program and have used it for many years.