Last version 5.28 does not work with Windows XP

Hello there

I have been using CCleaner for a long time. I never had any issue until now, with and old windows XP professional. I had to locate an old CCcleaner version and re-install the old version.

This computer was running good 10 year ago, but now i have to use it. I had to find "light" programs and still is slow but enough for my requeriments.

I was using the prior version without any issue, but I am not certain if this was the 5.27 or 5.26 version.

Any suggestions?, from my side I would say you need to say the minimum requeriments for old machines using windows XP

Thank you

f1e7_appcompat.txt

post-78669-0-62700500-1490452734_thumb.png

post-78669-0-09963700-1490452770_thumb.png

• Moderators

Works fine on my XP system. Make sure you have Service Pack 3 installed - that's the really big one as allot of software requires it.

The only other thing that may give you an issue is if your system hardware doesn't support SSE2.

Works fine on my XP system. Make sure you have Service Pack 3 installed - that's the really big one as allot of software requires it.

The only other thing that may give you an issue is if your system hardware doesn't support SSE2.

Yes same as this post :

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=47794

No mention of hardware requirement in the changelog since version 5.27 :(

(work well on 5.26)

The update should be disabled for a CPU that doesn't support SSE2 !

on my xp machine too, but on my machine is not a error-report displayed.

i have an athlon xp 2000+ without sse2, only with mmx+, 3dnow and sse instructions on hardware

the same as above --> ccleaner v527 and v528 not working, v526 is the last good one

i use the portable-version of 5er-line, i have installed v419 with old known face ;-)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

Yes same as this post :

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=47794

No mention of hardware requirement in the changelog since version 5.27 :(

(work well on 5.26)

The update should be disabled for a CPU that doesn't support SSE2 !

They really should disable the installation for those systems which aren't compatible. I'll point the admin to this topic too, and hopefully that will get the ball rolling with them blocking the installation in the future.

please let the developers supplementle this info in the version history (v527)

"end of support on os with cpu without sse2" or similar

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

I have a similar issue on Windows XP, but my cpu does have SSE2 instructions.

Xeon 3070:  https://ark.intel.com/products/27206/Intel-Xeon-Processor-3070-4M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

When I run 5.28, it runs through the cleaning process completely, but at the end, it crashes and closes.  If I re-run it, it finds nothing to clean, so I know the cleaning occurred before the crash.

Where do I find previous versions to download?  I use the portable version.  I had skipped a bunch of versions (I was running 5.18 previously), so I don't have access to 5.27, 5.26, etc.

• Moderators

Thanks, that is the installer, though.  I need the portable version.

How to avoid installation and restore your portable version:

1. Get 7-Zip (installs), or 7-Zip Portable (no install).

2. In 7-Zip or 7-Zip Portable right-click the installer and select "Open Inside", this opens the installer without running it.

Screenshot (click for full sized image):

post-26-0-62451800-1490716599_thumb.png

3. Then extract CCleaner.exe into your folder where the portable version is. If your XP system is 64-bit you'll need to extract both of the CCleaner .exe files.

How to avoid installation and restore your portable version:

1. Get 7-Zip (installs), or 7-Zip Portable (no install).

2. In 7-Zip or 7-Zip Portable right-click the installer and select "Open Inside", this opens the installer without running it.

Screenshot (click for full sized image):

attachicon.gif7zip_open_inside.png

3. Then extract CCleaner.exe into your folder where the portable version is. If your XP system is 64-bit you'll need to extract both of the CCleaner .exe files.

Thanks!  I've used 7-zip before to manually extract files from .EXEs, so I'm embarrassed I didn't think to try this myself. 

• Moderators

any chance this is all part of the current issue with cleaning Firefox, untick Compact Database and see if it helps.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 1 month later...

please let the developers supplementle this info in the version history (v527)

"end of support on os with cpu without sse2" or similar

hello developers, please change the version history with this important info

not necesarily my suggestion but a hint to the changed hardware requirement

eighter

v5.26

last version without sse2 support

or

v5.27

no support for older cpu without sse2

or whatever you think

• 10 months later...