Apple doesn't want you to repair your phone

hazelnut

• Moderators

Apple doesn't want you to repair your phone, and they're going to court to stop you

Apple and other manufacturers have argued in the past that it's unsafe to repair your own devices. Lobbyists have claimed that broken glass can harm consumers who try to repair their screen, among others.

http://www.techspot.com/news/68185-apple-doesnt-want-you-repair-phone-theyre-going.html

Some 'interesting' reader comments under the article.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I changed the battery is a friends iPhone 6 last year. It was without a doubt one of the worst things I've ever tried to take apart. The glue/tape thing they put on the battery was super hard to get off, I was worried I was going to break the battery trying to get it out. Luckily I did get it out and the phone was fine when I put it back together. I currently do the plan where I just trade my phone in ever year and get a new one, I will not try to fix another iphone. 

The worst practice is on the iPad. The fact that the screens are glued to the glass makes them super hard to repair, I wouldn't want to fix those ever. 

• Moderators

And does a 'Prada' handbag hold any more makeup than a Tesco handbag?

If you want to pay over the top for the same thing then that's your stupid fault.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I changed the battery is a friends iPhone 6 last year. . . .

If the little sucker had blown up, you might have been defendant in an apple torte court action.  Mmmuuuaahaahaa. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

And does a 'Prada' handbag hold any more makeup than a Tesco handbag?

If you want to pay over the top for the same thing then that's your stupid fault.

Not sure I get what your saying. If your saying that an iPhone is the same as any other phone then I will have to disagree. I've used a lot of different phones there are tons of reasons I stick with iOS for my phone/tablet. I do not use a Mac computer though. 

• Moderators

If the little sucker had blown up, you might have been defendant in an apple torte court action.  Mmmuuuaahaahaa. 

I was actually scared of that happening. I literally used a putty knife to pry the battery out of the phone when I screwed up pulling the glue out. Luckily I got it out without any issues other than some foul language and a lot of aggravation. :P 

• Moderators

Its not just apple though. All of the major manufacturers are making their phones this way, google, samsung, LG. They are making them thinner and thinner in the guise of making people think they are higher quality. I personally would want a thicker phone with a massive battery inside.

• Moderators

I don't have a cell phone, for whatever reason things that run off of batteries have a very short lifespan when I'm in contact with them, they go kaput like TV remotes, wireless mouse, etc.

I personally would want a thicker phone with a massive battery inside.

Wonder why they don't just put solar cells and kinetic charging in all of them, would negate needing the bigger battery you require.

• Moderators

"No user replaceable parts" is the message one usually gets these days, but that isn't always true. In fact with my almost 10 year old Sony Walkman, there isn't even supposed to be any manufacturer replaceable parts but it's amazing what you can fix with the help of Google and YouTube.

By early last year my Walkman battery wouldn't even last a day (can't complain after nearly 10 years), so I decided to Google around and find out if it was actually possible to even source a battery, never mind replace one. Either that or shell out for the new current replacement Walkman which was around £100.

I eventually found a modern Lithium Polymer battery for my model, and also a video on YouTube showing the taking apart of a Walkman very similar to mine.

And like the Apple stuff, the two halves were glued together, but ... it was also held by four minuscule screws which meant glue wouldn't be needed to put it back together securely. And, if I messed up it was no big deal as it was for the bin anyway.

As mentioned above, getting everything apart and the old battery out (also glued) was really fiddly, especially the connector on the battery cable ...

51hrIfkiD0L.jpg

That thing was so tiny I needed reading glasses and a magnifying glass to see the connecting bits.

To cut this short, I managed to change the battery, even connecting it up without damaging those tiny connectors, screwed it back together, switched it on and ... "BOOM!!"

I'm lying, it worked perfectly and is still working perfectly a year later, and that battery lasts longer than the original. All for a total cost of £13, including postage.

For anyone interested, I sourced the battery here ...

Replacement Batteries:

I must have been brought up to mend and make do as I'd rather have a try at fixing anything before chucking it away. It wasn't even the £100, it's just really satisfying to fix something the manufacturer says can't be fixed.

Oh yea, this topic is about Apple isn't it ... wouldn't buy anything Apple. Ever.

:)

• Moderators

it's because it's a polymer battery.  makes them thin and flexible.

you don't see many in the commercial world.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 4 weeks later...

You see plenty of Lithium Polymer batteries used in phones, tablets, and in hobby grade RC's there commonly called "LiPo packs" and can be a soft case or hard case.

​The RC hobby grade packs are usually multiple cell packs unlike the single cell 3.7v packs in phones, tablets etc.

Multiple cell LiPo packs need special care! they must be balance charged after every 4 to 5 cycles> ( charge - discharge ) otherwise the cells become unbalanced! causing extreme heat build up and cell expansion while charging and then fire!

Physical damage to these batteries can cause an internal short and also fire!