HELP! Windows 10 update now says CCleaner "incompatible"

DaveFic

HELP! Windows 10 update now says CCleaner "incompatible"

The title says it all. The latest Windows update now won't run CCleaner and the error message says it's incompatible with the current version of windows.

When I restored my computer to Sunday's restore point, CCleaner worked fine, until my computer updated again moments ago.

Can anyone help me with this issue? Is anyone else having this problem?

I need help! Thanks.

Dave

• Moderators

Won't work until you download the latest version...

How do I get the link to pro?

from here; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

green button - Free, blue button - Pro.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Note - Since I was already a Pro subscriber, I was hesitant to just Download Pro for the reinstall, fearing that I would have to repurchase and start over. This link uses your email address on file to email you your current registration key, with a download link. ("I've lost my product license key"). I suggest this route could be the easiest fix.

http://www.piriform.com/support/ccleaner#204044264

Greetings and compliments of the season to forum members....

Reporting...

I too have attempted to install CCleaner 5.25.5902 following the latest series of Patch Tuesday Windows Updates (received 14-12-2016) but installation of the new version of CCleaner was  not accepted by Windows 10... and not even after the removal of version CCleaner 5.24.5841.

I use the free version of CCleaner.

Between now and when the new version is repaired I shall revert back to version 5.24.5841.

Edit:- (see note above) Now experienced that the uninstalled version 5.24.5841 will not now reinstall.

A cure is now required please.

Edited by Kimbo No1

• Moderators

are you getting an error message when reinstalling?

get the download from here; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

if the normal build doesn't install, try the Portable (the Slim should be up there in a couple of days).

if still no luck, make sure the old version is uninstalled, and try installing the latest with the PC in Safe Mode.

I was told by windows forum not to use CCleaner but I told them I couldn't use my computer w/o it. I love the way it quickly removes all the unnecessary crap that starts all the errors,sluggishness+being stuck on stupid. They said they same thing about System Mechanic so if anybody uses it, they may attack it next.

I'm not tech savvy so I'm afraid I won't be able to remove+install the right way. Is the reinstall also free? Will somebody give me the steps to delete+reinstall,a link w/info? I could just search but I never seem to get the correct results. I can't mess this up b/c I really don't think I'll be able to keep communicating w/the outside world on this computer w/o the CCleaners help+I'm disabled so it's even more important for me.

Thank-you in advance. Boop

• Moderators

Hello there Boop :)

Perhaps the easiest way for you to uninstall ccleaner is to right-click on the Windows start/flag and select Control Panel from the menus that comes up.

Then look for Programs and Features and open it.

Then click on Ccleaner and select uninstall.

When that is done go here and download 5.25 version (it's free)

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

When you are installing make sure you untick any options for Google Chrome if you don't want it.

Then when it's installed perhaps turn off monitoring until you get the hang of things

https://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/ccleaner-settings/changing-monitoring-settings-ccleaner-free

Any questions just post back :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I'm not sure if I'll be able to sign in again. When I came back from email where it said to enter User ID and Validation key it showed my email and password I then erased my email and wrote Boop+it automatically connected me so I never did get a page/link that requested this info. I'm very worried so if you can think of any little details this very backwards computer user may need to know in order to do this correctly please include it for me. As frightened as I am of doing the wrong thing online,especially after I got a letter saying FBI was monitoring me free for 1 year if I so desired b/c my info was hacked from a small ER center by China,I had it originally installed remotely by a Windows tech pro! Yes even after all that+others in the forum suggested I not use it. I need it. TY TY TY for all of your help.

I refer to the response from MTA of today at 5.22pm

Thank you for the URL enabling the download of CCleaner 5.25.5902. This particular version installed without any issue.

I am sorry but I did not keep the error message that I received when attempting to install the earlier version of CCleaner 5.25.5902 and the re-installation of CCleaner 5.24.5841.

I thank you for the URL and again I am sorry for not keeping a record of the error message,

Just for information: Now the Windows Compatibility Assistant blocks also the installation of the latest CC if the filename of the setup file includes the word "CCleaner" (e.g. "ccsetup525.exe" works, but "CCleaner_5.25.exe" doesn't work).

Hazelnut or if unavailable,a helper that can answer what has happened. I clicked download from recommended link then searched downloads and found 4 boxes labeled as ccsetup 525, 515(2), 515(1) and 515 and when opened look the same as the original CCleaner I had before w/options to run etc, but I don't know why I have 4 boxes and its not listed in type. I clicked the 525 so it now displays it like before,I turned off the first two monitoring options(as you suggested)but not the one that popped up I wouldn't do this if I were you type warning. I have no clue what to do now. I didn't get options about not using Chrome(which I don't use)or anything else. Do I need more Help deleting extra versions that may have been installed by the tech,is this normal or did I fail? I haven't tried to run it yet b/c I have to close firefox first. I went back and somehow reentered the link to the ID etc validation and it said I was probably already validated so I'm not sure if I need to do anything now or close up shop and try to run it. TY for your educated advice. TY

• Moderators

Boop;

The ccsetup515's are just old downloads that haven't been deleted from the downloads folder after installing.

(515 would have been downloaded about last February/March)

You must have downloaded it 3 times for some reason- the first download is named ccsetup515, the second 515(1), the third 515(2).

If you look at the files in list view you will see they have been downloaded at different times.

It is something that windows does if you download a file more than once, it adds the copy number in brackets after the filename.

You can safely delete them, no special process needed, just delete them as you would any other file.

PS.

The reason Windows Forum is saying not to use Ccleaner is because it contains a registry cleaner.

Registry cleaners can be dangerous and can mess up your computer completely if you don't know what you are doing.

They are an advanced tool and like any powerful tool should not be used unless you understand them.

Microsoft have decided that because of this danger they don't want people using registry cleaners.

Stay safe, don't use the registry cleaner unless you understand what it does and understand that using it it may stop your computer working.

(If you do use it then always use the option to make a backup before cleaning the registry).

Despite what you may read elsewhere registry cleaning does not 'speed up' your computer.

(It is used to solve other problems, and only when they happen).

Using Ccleaner to clear out temporary files, cookies, etc. is perfectly safe, just stay away from the registry cleaner unless you understand it.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

This thread is getting a bit messy, but manageable for now as long as no more members jump in.

Will have to split it then.

@kimbo,

You are very welcome, glad it worked and thanks for letting us know.

Don't worry about the error message, turns out it wasn't needed.

I refer to the observation and report submitted by APMichael yesterday at 11.40pm (Message #14)

I offer my congratulations to APMichael for providing the solution and the reasoning why the latest version of CCleaner (5.25.5902) cannot be installed when using a different file name than that of the downloadable file (e.g. "ccsetup525.exe" works, but "CCleaner_5.25.exe" doesn't work).

I reported that I had resolved the installation issue - which I had (by using the downloadable filename) however I have another computer that I need to upgrade with the latest CCleaner version, but as I rename my files (say from (ccsetup525.exe" to "CCleaner 5.25.5902.exe" I returned the installation error I outlined in an earlier Forum message.

Seeing that I had the installation error and asked by MTA (Moderator) to provide the error message I can now provide the error prompt I have been told off... I am unable to include the snip tool image of the error - so it will be attached as a file to this message (hopefully).

The error prompt appears above the Task Bar alongside the 'notification area' of Windows 10.

Thank you again MPMichael for the wonderful investigative work - it is amazing just how you established what caused the inability to install version 5.25.5902.

From a Piriform perspective will you be making any future changes to the naming of CCleaner so as the issue we have been experiencing will no longer be an issue... and what of the issue reported within this Forum where Windows 10 Updates (which one I am not sure) of this months Patches that were supplied removed the installed version of CCleaner.?

Your response will be interesting to read.

Kind regards and have a wonderful Christmas and New Year...\

post-32391-0-24828200-1481833358_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

for me....

I got the Windows Update to 14393.576 on Wednesday.

Today (Friday) I downloaded CC v5.25 with the default name ccsetup525.exe and double clicked it to install, no problems.

• Moderators

I have been a Windows Insider for a few years now. I have had every build of Windows 10. Never had any install issues with any build or version. But... The latest build 14986 (I believe) for some reason reset my UAC settings on me. That is it though...

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

You would be correct MTA - the issue comes to be an issue when the CCleaner filename is changed to include the word 'ccleaner'

I also have the Windows 10 version you mention - didn't realise that it had been one of the patch downloads on Wednesday.

I change the filename of any file that has an abbreviated name such as 'ccsetup' - so that I can keep tabs on what is installed so I no need to enter the Control Panel to check the version installed,

I keep track of installed versions via the Menu shortcuts - I use Classic Menu in preference to Windows 10 menu structure.

Regards

• Moderators

thanks for explaining that Kimbo, as my next question was going to be, "why are you people renaming the downloaded file for?" :)

but I see your point.

I'm sure you do, but just in case, even with the downloaded file (let's stick to CC in this example) named as ccsetup525.exe - when you install it, it'll show as CCleaner in Control Panel.

I too use a 3rd party Start program, StartIsBack, and keep all my downloaded goodies in a personal folder for quick access but I don't rename them - well, apart from tacking on the version number at the end, but ccsetup525 already does it for us.  And we all affectionately abbreviate CCleaner to CC on this forum so ccsetup is already good-to-go.

It sounds petty if MS has hard coded the word 'ccleaner' into the OS as something to watch out for.

• Moderators

some official news for those with the incompatibility issues.

it seems Windows has blacklisted versions older than 5.22

https://piriform.zen...tibility-Issues

Just for information: Now the Windows Compatibility Assistant blocks also the installation of the latest CC if the filename of the setup file includes the word "CCleaner" (e.g. "ccsetup525.exe" works, but "CCleaner_5.25.exe" doesn't work).

Yep, that did the trick for me as well. Blocking the installer based on the filename is not very effective on the part of MS. Why it is blocking CCleaner at all, I do not know.

:rolleyes: