CCleaner is not cleaning my history properly

Caps

When I use CCleaner to do a clean on my 2013 Mac Air it is not cleaning my history properly.  When I go back in to Safari and look at my history it is all still there?  I use a lot of accounts for banking and shopping and like a secure clean but this is not the case at the moment!  Any Suggestions 

Thanks

This issue  has been around since at least January 2016, if not before. It happens in Google Chrome & Safari.  CCleaner does not clean out some or all of the cookies & history. In some cases it will stall while attempting to clean Google Chrome.  I was in touch with Piriform about this in February, & this is what they said:

"Our development team has confirmed that CCleaner stalls when cleaning certain Google Chrome files, just as you've reported, and they are currently working towards fixing this problem. We expect this to be resolved in the next version of the application - v1.13.

We also noticed that CCleaner is not cleaning the Channel ID cookies from Chrome, as you have also reported, and this is due to a recent update of the browser. We'll also try to get this fixed in the next version of the product so that these cookies will be removed as well."

It's 2 months since I received this info, & still no fix.  Shame on Piriform for not fixing this in a timely fashion.  Many people will be using this program & not even realize that it's not working as advertised. (No error messages are generated, in fact CCleaner will report what has been cleaned when in fact it has not been cleaned)  I consider this to be a real privacy & security issue, that many users will not even be aware of.

• Moderators

you can either believe Piriform are sitting on their hands, smug in the knowledge they are ticking off their user base

OR

you can assume they are doing the best they can and will get a fix out as soon they humanly can.

just a little patience is called for, after-all, as you say, it's been broken for a while. :)

in the meantime there is more than one work-around to the issue, like, manually INCLUDE'ing the folders in question, or, using the in-built browser cleansing options.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I have just tried to get in touch with Piriform and I can't find away to do it, maybe because I am using the free version.  Still it should still clean all the history and cookies correctly.

I would also have thought that someone from Piriform would monitor this forum?

I was using the free version of CCleaner too & I did manage to get in contact with Piriform by email.  Two days ago I was told by Piriform that the present issues with CCleaner for Mac could take a few more months to fix. Enough foot dragging, so I found a very good replacement & I am finished with Piriform.  If you are running Google Chrome or Firefox on a Mac then look at Click & Clean.  It's working for me.  I got Click & Clean from the Chrome Web Store.

• Moderators

Thanks for the feedback from Piriform @Northern14, it will be helpful for other Mac users to know at least Piriform is working on it.

I guess their 'foot dragging' is probably proportional to the number of users with Macs and the percentage of those using CC - a real small subset I would think.

Not that that is an excuse, but it is what it is.

As to naming competing software, that's against forum rules so expect that to be removed. ;)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I have had a reply to my email I sent to Piriform

I sent this....

I have found that the cleaner for Mac is not working properly. I do a lot of shopping and use online banking so I like to use the highest level of security when I clean but it is not cleaning properly!

I have a 2013 Mac Air and use Safari for my browsing. I use the free version of CCleaner
I can do a full clean and then when I go into the history and cookie sections on safari it is all still there
I hope this problem can be resolved 
Thanks

The reply was this....

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, CCleaner for Mac is not currently working properly, just as you have described. We are however aware of the issues and working towards developing an update to fix the problems so that everything will be cleaned as expected.

We're not certain when the next update will be available but we intend to release this sometime within the next couple of months.

In the meantime, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We'll be happy to help!

Regards,

Megan Sparks | Piriform Support - USA

So yes they are aware and are sorting it out

• 2 weeks later...