Help with a very low start only on networks, when using winapp2.ini

david.lynch

No, I'm not selecting any item to clean over network, this is not wanted.

I'm saying that the "Run Cleaner" button stays unavailable for a long time. When this happens, is noticeable some network link utilization.

It is run from a network share that doesn't have write access and has a lot of subfolders: movies, pictures, etc.

• Moderators

please read the spoiler section on the above linked thread (wherein it say a big file will take a long time to load). On top of that you're trying to use it over a network. Are both server and client wired onto the network or is (at least) one running wirelessly.

In addition if the spoiler section does not help, and if your ini is based on the community edition please continue the discussion in that thread, if possible.

Finally just because an app is portable (a la CCleaner) does not mean it'll run well over network (a la sysinternals apps which can be run "live" from the MS servers.

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for all the replies 5h0qs.gif

Even using trim.bat with all described procedures the startup it is really slow (takes minutes bYM5b.gif) and not by using CPU time but about 10% of the network link. It is a wired network, fast ethernet 100mb full duplex. For instance, file transfers happens at full speed. When the same CCleaner set (exe + ini's) is run from a USB Flash Drive, execution is much faster.

Seems that the current state of development has issues when run from a network share (maybe because it is in read-only mode? I'm not sure).

I would never consider running CCleaner from a network.

If CCleaner is read-only then I do not see how Trim.Bat would be able to create a reduced Winapp2.ini in the same folder.

Perhaps it was prevented from achieving its intention and WinApp2.ini is still the original size.

10% of 100 Mb is about 10 Mb per sec. I do not know but assume b=Byte and not bit.

A 300 KByte WinApp2.ini can be transferred at 10 MByte/Sec in 30 mSec as a continuous stream.

BUT

A typical full size WinApp2.ini is 8597 lines long

It is quite conceivable that CCleaner was NOT designed to stream the file and then process it,

it might actually read one line at a time and process that line and then access the next line,

I do not know what latency might be involved in your network providing the next line,

so I will guess at 38 mSec (typical internet Ping delay between Lancashire and BBC.COM)

that comes out at 38 * 8597 = 326686 mSec = 326.686 Seconds

i.e. over 3 minutes.

I'll not have access to the involved systems until next week, so I can't tell about exact .ini file sizes. But trim.bat has done his job since it was run on the file server, I have full permissions, extracted the latest portable build, selected desired options at CCleaner.exe on the server... And then, was noticed the huge delay to start when run from this read-only share, while it keeps using network link (for what? unnecessary).

I've found as conclusive that the root cause of the problem was the way CCleaner works when run from a network share, since the same set of exe and ini's was run with the expected speed when located at a usb flash drive, even before and after running trim.bat.