CCleaner destroys valuable data without warning.

Alan_B

I have just downloaded the "standard" version 3.21 from FileHippo and am horrified to find a very dangerous default with a misleading description.

After launching ccsetup321.exe and clicking Agree I find INSTALL OPTIONS.

This is described as

"Select any additional options"

That is WRONG - SO VERY WRONG.

You cannot select what is already selected.

The correct description would be

"De-select the dangerous things you wish to preserve your computer from"

All the options are preselected including "Add 'Run CCleaner' option to Recycle Bin ..."

THE CORRECT DEFAULT would be to have that option NOT pre-selected.

One User made a mistake with his Recycle Bin context menu,

and was surprised by the devastation unleashed without warning by an invisible CCleaner in a mode he was unaware of.

See

http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=36562

• Moderators

Your post sounds dramatic, but looking a little deeper you're complaining about a typo. The install box shows a list of options, all checked, and the user can uncheck any or all if he so wishes. It might say 'Select any additional options' but I think that most people installing software can work out what to do.

Should the default in these boxes be blank? I don't know how many would check these anyway so would prefer them to be pre-checked. It would be nice if they defaulted to the previous settings.

I don't use the add cc to the recycler, but I had never considered that it ran the full CC, I assumed that it would just run against the recycler (perhaps under the same delusion as the user in your linked post).

I assumed that it would just run against the recycler (perhaps under the same delusion as the user in your linked post).

If a Moderator did not expect instant devastation of User Documents,

by an invisible CCleaner which may (or may not) appear in the notification tray as a result of a Recycle context menu click,

What hope has a novice who was told that CCleaner would do his computer some good.

I have just selected the desktop link to CCleaner and right click "Run as Administrator".

It works as I expect - it launches CCleaners and WAITS for me to click a desired action - it does NOT gallop ahead at full speed destroying everything in its path.

When I Run CCleaner in the conventional fashion and use the GUI I can configure what to clean and what to skip.

If I get adventurous and tick "Tray Notifications Cache" I am warned of the consequences and that I will need to restart the explorer.exe.

There are several other adventurous clicks that also give me a warning.

I consider it an unacceptable risk that a default install results in a dangerous product that invisibly wreaks unexpected damage without any warning.

I assume (and could be wrong) that a Recycle Right click on "Open CCleaner" will not do immediate damage but will allow you to Analyze before death.

I argue that the instant death "Run Cleaner" should NOT be the initial default,

and should produce a warning to the user of the instant consequences when he selects this as one of the Recycler context options.

• Moderators
If a Moderator did not expect instant devastation of User Documents..... what hope has a novice

That's very kind of you to endow me with some superior attributes, but I'm just like you, trying to make sense of the world (actually I've given up now, the world has no sense).

Right, lets get a grip on this. CC does not destroy valuable data. If you installed CC with all the defaults, and ran it (from the recycler or not), it would clear out temporary or superfluous data. Temp int files, cookies, recent docs, you know the list. That's what CC does, and that's why it's installed and run. CC does not clear out passwords by default. A loss of session info, cookies etc might be an annoyance to some, but it isn't death - CC isn't a dangerous product and does not damage or unleash any sort of devastation.

There may be some users who want to hold on to some of the deleted data, and they can adjust CC's settings as they wish. After running with the defaults they probably will.

As I mentioned earlier I don't have the recycler option implemented. But if it doesn't offer the standard warning before running than it should.

I agree that for me the ability to restore a previous session can be useful but not essential.

But some users have different values and "Fractalogic" was sufficiently inconvenienced that he considered removal of CCleaner.