Speccy 1.16.0.317 locks-up Windows 7 Ultimate

Hi all

Just installed Speccy 1.16.0.317 on my Windows 7 Ultimate box.

When I start Speccy, it tells me the OS and then "Analysing" for everything else. After about 2 seconds the spinny thing bottom left stops spinning and the PC is completely locked up. Only recourse is the power off button.

BF

• Moderators

Hi BF.

Sorry to hear of your trouble, and I'm not sure asking you to run Speccy in "Debug" mode is being very kind to you considering your experience with it.

If you could, and post the log here, it would help the devs a lot.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/speccy/troubleshooting-speccy/running-speccy-in-debug-mode

If this version specific (after an upgrade) or is this your first experience of Speccy?

Thanks. :)

Hi mate

No - I have been using Speccy for ages with no trouble. I recently upgrade from XP SP3 to Windows 7 Ultimate on my Dell 8300.

Speccy is the only program to fail - but I know it's still a top program.

I can't run Speccy in any mode and have removed it. Anything else I can post to be of help??

BF

• Moderators

are you running speccy UAC elevated? is WMI service running (it needs to be) try the portable version of speccy

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hi there

I am having exactly the same issue, on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I also had the same problem arise with 1.15.(?) after I had used it several times with no issue. I uninstalled it, got the latest version (1.16.0.317), and get the same thing every time I try to run it.

I tried running debug mode (checked all boxes) and kind of the same thing happened: Speccy opened, identified the OS, but then just whirred on with no further result. After a little while my computer locked up, though it was only for a matter of 10 seconds or so, but once it 'unlocked' it ran very very sluggishly. After 5-10 minutes I shut down Speccy, and it took another few minutes after that for my PC to operate at normal speed.

It might be worth mentioning that I think this started happening after I overclocked my CPU, but I have no problems with any other applications...

I'm not sure what UAC elevated means. I tried 'run as admin': no joy. I don't know what WMI service is, or what the portable version of Speccy is.

Hopefully you guys can sort this out, I really like this program, but currently it is worse than useless to me. May as well be a 'run BSOD' application :/

• Moderators

WMI Service: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Management_Instrumentation

Run as Admin is UAC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

I assume you are running Speccy64

Portable Version found here http://www.piriform.com/speccy/builds

(sorry I was mobile when I wrote my previous answer so it was more difficult to provide this thread with the information)

Also macseaforth please attempt the /debug

The portable version was suggested for blarty-fargo because he had already posted he had uninstalled the software.

Macseaforth, though you may feel that your issue is the same as blarty's it, in all likely hood is not. Please follow the instructions above and try to run in debug mode (you'll have to do it from an elevated Command prompt, so type "Command Prompt" into your startmenu (without the " right click the resulting exe and choose run as admin)

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

are you running speccy UAC elevated? is WMI service running (it needs to be) try the portable version of speccy

Hi mate

To be honest, I did not run Speccy as Admin. Will it only run on Windows 7 in "Admin" mode? - if so I think that should be made clear somewhere.

Yes - WMI is running.

I am going to give Speccy a miss until I absolutely need it - I can't afford to keep powering off my PC without doing a "graceful" shut down - that's one of the ways to mess up Windows.

• Moderators

yes speccy involves actions that need admin elevation. it should automatically prompt you in vista/7

• 2 weeks later...

The same exact thing is happening to me.Speccy only shows my OS but is stuck at analyzing everything else. I have Windows 7 Ultimate too. My computer locks up because Speccy uses so much ram. Also after ending Speccy with task manager it still takes up ram so I have to restart my computer.

DSC07323.jpg

I was responding to a Like*** who hijacked your topic.

I would not have bothered answering his hijack had I realized he was also starting his own topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry I dropped out for a few weeks there

Just came back to report that I tried using Speccy again recently and everything is fine. I recently expanded my RAM from 4GB 1066MHz to 8GB 1333MHz (4x2GB), and also upgraded my CPU from AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz to a Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz. Not sure if either upgrade was the fix, but I am happy to have Speccy working again, it is a great little program.

Apologies for maybe sounding a little bitter in my initial post, I know it's not really cool to get an attitude about a free piece of software not working properly.

Cheers :rolleyes:

EDIT: I just tried launching Speccy and monitoring RAM usage on the task manager, there was a point while analysing that it shot up to ~5.5GB, so maybe the RAM expansion was what really helped, which would be concurrent with LikeASomebody's observation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I started this thread a while back.

Anyone know if it is safe to install and trust Speccy on a Windows 7 Ultimate box?

I would try it myself - but I simply can't afford a lock up and power down via the "Off" switch.

Thanks

BF