CCleaner breaks Microsoft Security Essentials

Guest Keatah

CCleaner, causes Microsoft Security Essentials to re-scan and report an un-protected system at startup; after you've run CCleaner.

In my opinion (as a 30-year IT verteran), you should not mess with security products unless you know exactly 100% what the effects of your actions are. And Piriform obviously does *NOT* know that deleting logs will cause MSE to re-initiate a scan.

With all due respect, get off your duff and fix this error.

Also, as a "cleaning program" becomes more complex and handles more areas and files, it is important to tell the user what EXACTLY is being done.

Hey Keatah, there is options to uncheck the things you don't want to delete.... check/uncheck the things and run.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liju Cherian

Dell Studio 1737| 3.2 GHz

Windows 7 32 Bit | 4 GB RAM | 500 GB WD HDD | ATI Radeon 3600.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep. I do that for a few options. I just felt a little under the table because I recommended CCleaner and MSE a lot recently. And they don't play well together regarding that one point. To me it's not a biggie. But I like things to work smoothly for the folks I advise.

In my view any Security software that does not lock and protect its files is make-believe.

It is at best only suitable for supplementary on-demand scanning to identify what has already invaded and done its job :o

• 3 years later...

Just untick the "MS AntiMalware" box located in CCleaner's Applications tab.

I have seen this advice a lot but I don't have a check box that reads "MS Antimalware". I only have "MS Management Console" and unchecking this box does not help. The only thing that seems to help is to turn off the real time monitoring of CCleaner. Does anyone have any better suggestions. Since this is an old thread maybe they changed the name of the checkbox.

• Moderators

Just untick the "MS AntiMalware" box located in CCleaner's Applications tab.

I have seen this advice a lot but I don't have a check box that reads "MS Antimalware". I only have "MS Management Console" and unchecking this box does not help. The only thing that seems to help is to turn off the real time monitoring of CCleaner. Does anyone have any better suggestions. Since this is an old thread maybe they changed the name of the checkbox.

You're replying to such an old thread that much has changed since the last reply in 2011; please start a new thread, and include vital details such as windows version and ccleaner version number.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com