Microsoft Security Essentials

TheGrowlery

Your question on Microsoft Answers has received a reply:

Question MSE says I have not scanned recently when I scanned that very day.

Hi Byzantine,

Please see the following compliments of Le Boule:

Are you using CCleaner? Piriform has programmed it for some reason to remove part of the MSE History files and it's deleting the files MSE checks to determine the last time a scan was conducted. This file removal has no effect on the antimalware protection provided by MSE.

Open CCleaner Applications Tab, then Under Windows uncheck MS Antimalware...that should prevent CCleaner from deleting the MS Antimalware scanning history files.

Per suggestion of MartinHampton you may also need to uncheck MS Management Console.

You may need to run another quick scan and reboot the computer.

See this thread for more details and alternatives to resolve this problem if you are not using CCleaner:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/why-after-a-couple-of-days-after-a-scan-does-my/0dc5b433-28ec-4180-a8ee-26a6cd10c3ab

If that isn't it, please check your system clock to make sure it is correct (even a few minutes can matter - but I've seen it say 1978 or 2286 for the year). Resync it with the internet clock. If it need to be changed and keeps happening, change the CMOS battery on the motherboard as that's almost always the cause of a system clock problem.

Please see the following compliments of Stephen Boots – MVP:

What operating system and service pack?

Prior Security Software?

Any security software still installed?

A possible reason for this problem is that you have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC. Remove all other security software from the PC. Reboot.

You may need to use a cleanup tool to remove your prior security software:http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/407bf6da-c05d-4546-8788-0aa4c25a1f91

Be sure to review this post: Check list for installing Microsoft Security Essentials (also found here: http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/89.aspx)

If that fails to resolve the problem, open an email support case:

{SNIP}

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

{Snip}

• Moderators

Uhhhhhhhh

This thread is confusing because it looks like you just copy pasted their reply but not your question.

Also I don't need to see update email setting et al from your email, and to protect anyone from click rouge links I'm removed all non-essential links from your post.

Please attempt to clarify this thread or it risks closure as a possible spam thread.

EDIT: ok in cleaning the post I noticed a few things.

Yes it is a known issue that MS Antimalware reports as never having cleaned if you use the MSE entry in CCleaner. However it's incorrect to think that anything (beyond cosmetically) is wrong. it's just that MSE is looking for the log file and since you removed it, mse thinks it was never there.

I, and other regularly appearing members, think it's better to let antimalware products clean themselves so many have suggested not placing the check mark in Micorsoft Security Essentials in the ccleaner program

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

In this case. CCleaner breaks Microsoft Security Essentials. This is a no-no and needs to be corrected by Piriform. In their need to spontaneously change things and add things, they added something and did NOT test it correctly. Bad bad..

All the same, Winapp2.ini breaks VLC media player.

Also Winapp2.ini, at one time, would totally destroy iTunes and playlists. Pity the guy that overlooks that!

CCleaner is great. But each option has to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis for each system, to ensure needed items are not being removed. I also believe the windows logs should be left alone, especially ones related to KB updates. They are invaluable for troubleshooting purposes.

The first and foremost philosophy of system maintenance and trash removal programs is to ensure they do not change the functioning of your system. If they do then they have failed. AGAIN, I MUST SAY, EACH OPTION NEEDS TO BE REVIEWED IN CCLEANER BEFORE USE.

Ahh well, wtf do I know.. Just 30-years of system maintenance experience..

• Moderators

All the same, Winapp2.ini breaks VLC media player.

Please post this info in the Winapp2 .ini thread.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=32310&pid=206074&st=900entry206074

Piriform is not responsible for the 3rd party Winapp2 ini entries.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

People complain about CCleaner breaking this and that, however those little checkboxes in it can be unticked to tailor CCleaner for each users needs!

And as for the winapp2.ini file those aren't written by Piriform nor endorsed by Piriform, they're all user made cleaners by the community which you use with a caveat of not knowing if they'll cause problems or not, and if you're having problems with CCleaner we ask that you first remove your winapp2.ini file to see if that fixes the problem!

Also it's better to only pick and choose which cleaners you want/need from the winapp2.ini file.

@Keatah

Winapp2.ini does not compromise the functionality of VLC. Rechecking the entry, I noticed it does delete the settings ini file, which unless you set advanced settings, pretty much changes nothing. I will remove that line, however.

I am only one person, I cannot test all 675 entries on my own :) Thanks for the input.

It's really up to the people submitting the entries to make sure they're safe before ever submitting them to you!

Yeah, though, Winapp2.ini is for (more) advanced users and should always be used carefully (more careful than CCleaner internal/normal cleaning).