Max path length Exceeded

Dranzer

I'm trying to recover a good 85k of photos to sort through, but every time I try to "recover" i get Max path length exceeded error. I know that if I do each picture and highlight them manually it works, but I did a deep scan and now I don't want to go to the trouble of highlighting ALL of them. I'm trying to select specific folders out of the tree view option.

• Moderators

turn off the option to "restore folder structure" in recuva and see if you no longer recieve this error

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I have this same error when trying to recover documents from within a Window's users profile folder. Recovery worked at first but only for limited number of items at a time, around 13 I believe. I am trying to recover around 1000 files from this user's profile folder. As I move down the list of 'found files', the number of files that can be recovered at one time gets smaller each time. Now I am not able to recover any files and still getting the same error "Maximum path length exceeded". I looked at the option for 'restore folder structure' but it was already unchecked. Suggestions? or clarification on the actual meaning of this error?

• 1 month later...

I was having the same problem which is how I found this forum.

I discovered that there was one file I was trying to recover that had a VERY log file name that was causing the "Maximum path length exceeded" problem.

Go through your files and make sure that any files that have unusually long file names are unchecked. Everything should recover fine after that.

Hope that helps someone.

• 4 weeks later...

Having spent several hours creating a selection set from a list of 1.8 million files, I did not need to see "Maximum path length exceeded" when I finally hit the Recover button.

As 'justtryintoHelp' has suggested one or more file names is the likely culprit. In my case, that did not help too much.... which of the many needles in my giant haystack was the culprit.

I had exported a list of 'deleted files' to a text file. Importing that list into MS Access and running a couple of queries - one to compute the filename length and another to sort on that and the filename - pretty soon showed me that 20-odd files of type jpg had names of 255 characters. This leaves no room for a legal path. I suspect it might be a minor fault in the process that generates file names during the scan.

Be that as it may, chasing down each of the long file names in the Recuva listing identified 2 out of the 'illegals' that were ticked for recovery. By unticking those two, the Recover process started. (Might be useful if Recuva could itself identify the entry or entries that are causing the problem - save chasing off to Access etc.)

The progress screen was quite exciting. At first it proceeded normally, showing a percent completion figure, a number of files written and an estimate of about 10 minutes to completion. After about 20,000 + files had been copied, the % completion started flickering semi-randomly anywhere between 116% and 124% and beyond, and the time to completion drifted out to 17 days and so on. Time to panic or make some tea, so I made tea. When I came back, the screen was reporting task completed: 45,254 files in 913.83 seconds.

I suspect the progress screen is using an integer variable, where in this case a 'long' would be better suited to volumes in excess of 32000. But who cares? It all came good in the end.