"No DIsk in drive D"

I got this too (Windows 7 64 bit, brand new computer as of yesterday). I finally put a blank disc in, and it opened up just fine and I was able to do all cleaning tasks. Opens fine every time now without inserting a disc. I also turned off notifications to this program.

I have seen a similar problem when something in the file associations told Windows that an application was on the CD Drive,

so of course it went to see and got angry that there was no disc to look at.

I don't know why. Just part of the Windows experience ! !

I got this too (Windows 7 64 bit, brand new computer as of yesterday). I finally put a blank disc in, and it opened up just fine and I was able to do all cleaning tasks. Opens fine every time now without inserting a disc. I also turned off notifications to this program.

Ah, good old workarounds. Gotta love Windows.

Thanks for the help, this solved it.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I think it's perhaps a Windows bug/feature because I've had various programs with that issue since way back in the Win98 days, especially after I've burned something onto CD/DVD. Sometimes rebooting Windows fixes it but not always, however other times I've seen it take several days to stop that "No Disk in drive ?" dialog.

If you have ever at any time put a CD into a drive then Windows will notice and may remember,

especially if you launch/execute code on the CD.

If Windows tells CCleaner that an application has used the CD,

then if that Application is one of CCleaner's targets it may legitimately look at the CD.

The registry cleaner checks whether executables designated in the registry are still present so it may clean out "Obsolete Software" etc.

This can definitely give a head banging experience.

Actually I personally do clean my registry,

but should I encounter something new I feel all bets are off.

Now, this could be a problem!

I am certain the CD references could be removed from the registry, but at the expense that it would then create the problem that Windows may cough & sputter when dealing with problems on drive C, & calling for um, who knows what...

Now, this could be a problem!

I am certain the CD references could be removed from the registry, but at the expense that it would then create the problem that Windows may cough & sputter when dealing with problems on drive C, & calling for um, who knows what...

Like I said, a head banging experience ! ! !

I have in mind not only the frustration that causes the user to find a convenient wall to bang his head on,

but also the noisy percussion that came from old DOS machines clattering and whacking 7 bells out of the Floppy drive.

I was there when the "state of the art" malware protection software would spend two minutes clattering and banging on shut-down,

trying to satisfy itself that there was no floppy present that might on start-up boot into the dreaded command "Format C:\"

• 2 years later...