And people ask why I don't like Apple...

CTskifreak

Microsoft Security Essentials is a really good product - so I would like to think that it's Apple not caring - did you see the second link I posted a few days ago?

Yep, sure did. What arrogance. Apple for sure wins the I DON'T CARE contest. Could you agree that microsoft is maybe second...in this two person race? :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I agree with you. Even if I didn't I wouldn't argue 'cause you know a bunch more about this than I.

Still I think the decision by both companies is financially motivated. And one big difference is that apple said it out loud.

However...

I must say here that common sense as a preventative is not effective. I once clicked on a link in Yahoo news about the Dalai Lama, and my computer immediately shut down with a pop and restarted...restarted, I'm tellin ya! :o

Many, many years ago visiting ZDNet would cause an automatic restart all via some messed up JavaScript I suppose. To this day I still block their whole website, never to visit again!

Many, many years ago visiting ZDNet would cause an automatic restart all via some messed up JavaScript I suppose. To this day I still block their whole website, never to visit again!

Once you filter out some "look at meeeeeeeee!" and "linux is the best thing since sliced bread !1!!11!" writers, there are some very interesting articles on ZDNet.

Piriform French translator

I agree, MSSE is an excellent piece of software, especially compared to the non-existant Apple Security Essentials (Apple...deWORMer? :lol:)

There is a virus scanner on OS X.

It detects 4-5 types of malware, via non-generic signatures. :lol:

Piriform French translator

I agree, MSSE is an excellent piece of software, especially compared to the non-existant Apple Security Essentials (Apple...deWORMer? :lol:)

:P Guess you might say that the lack of a dewormer stems from their their core attitudes.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

You win 9001 internets :lol:

Enough to win a Golden Apple? 1.gif

From one who uses Windows, Linux & OSX (I own and use each OS at least once per week - OSX used on a PowerBook when away from my home office) I maintain that both Windows and OSX require antivirus software (for OSX I use ClamXav which is still free at this stage BUT not all that great) as I have always considered that sooner or later OSX will get hit.

Check this one out: Mac Security Site"]Mac Security Site[/url]

I do not see Linux being a target in the short term (to many variations) but those mongrels that create viruses etc. are out there with nothing better to do with their time.

Personally my No.1 choice is Windows (XP Pro better than Windows 7, but I use both) No.2 is Ubuntu (the latest version) then OSX bringing up the rear. I was forced into all 3 OS's when I was working full time, as I spent many years selling/supporting the Graphics Design / Print-Publishing Industry (magazines & newspapers) where Mac is still big, No. 1, Windows No.2 and Linux used as Servers, why? I really am not sure.........I just had to grin and bear it. B)

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

And for people who like big buttons you might find this

highly amusing. :lol:

Richard S.

:lol: Interesting spin on the trends at apple.

• 3 weeks later...

I bet there are a few Microsoft haters who are probably thinking just how lucky they are not owning a Mac. ;)

Richard S.

I am sure I am like others.

I am not a hater, just dislike having to learn how:

- New file systems work (compression formats/command lines etc)

- New programs install

- Locations of said new items

- How to clean trash from new systems

- How to combat malware/viruses (all over again... IE, what is their hosts file, or do they have one? what location can malware hide? do they have the BHO equivalent? how secure is their web browser?)

- What video/sticky/notes/etc programs they have

- Can you even use what is on this new OS for school (some require 2007 for the doc format, unless you use an alternative after you research some)

There are many, many problems plagued with a newer os that I don't even care to discuss, such as:

- How/where do they store their drivers?

- Driver backup programs? Free?

- Video/picture editing programs that work as good as in windows?

- How do shortcuts work?

- How to make SFX in newer OS?

It is mindboggling.

If you don't do a lot, its ok.

Obviously, the more you specialize in, the more there is to learn, & therefore, it is far more complex!

While I agree Super Fast that learning each new Windows version we're graced with can be a learning curve for late adopters it's easy to just search for answers.

Andavari, its NOT a learning curve if you only do a few things like most people. IF however, you spend years collecting the best software programs out there, and each generation of Windows, you have to continually prune back programs that work great on an older os & find another that tries to work somewhat as good, you will appreciate this.

But alas, all most people want is Windows Paint, Wordpad, & a few games + internet. Who creates games anymore? Who does complex SFX programs any more? Who really does anything anymore, LOL!

Edit: I know you don't know what I am talking about, so I will give you an example.

On older Windows 95/98/ME systems, the audio was direct access. No problem.

In XP, it was HAL. Still no problem.

Windows Vista? 7? While they have many great features built in, they left out a huge one... My creative card worked great under XP & had great treble/bass control. Guess what happens when you upgrade to Vista/7? You lose the ability to fine tune your bass or treble. This is what makes great audio!

Ok, so I went out & got a new audio card, & this one has a software control that allows me to use it somewhat, but still not as good as the old card...

You see what I mean? Windows is continually getting "dumbed" down, & stripped of features!

• Moderators

Windows is continually getting "dumbed" down, & stripped of features!

I don't actually agree with that. Things change in life all the time, and that includes Windows. We all look back over our shoulders and see the rose-tinted meadows behind us.

Years ago when just a small minority used computers they were mainly people who *wanted* to use them. Now, people *need* to use them. For their jobs, to stay in touch with family and friends, and just to be like everyone else. And computers and operating systems have had to evolve to deal with that.

Some features are now hidden to protect users from themselves, however those who want to, can still meddle :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I don't actually agree with that. Things change in life all the time, and that includes Windows. We all look back over our shoulders and see the rose-tinted meadows behind us.

Years ago when just a small minority used computers they were mainly people who *wanted* to use them. Now, people *need* to use them. For their jobs, to stay in touch with family and friends, and just to be like everyone else. And computers and operating systems have had to evolve to deal with that.

Some features are now hidden to protect users from themselves, however those who want to, can still meddle :)

Some things I agree with, some I don't.

Take for instance, the built in notes program for 7. Great

Built in weather app. Great

Updated time control, whatever, Great (but where's the alarm feature, lol!)

Some things I DON'T agree with are, while the audio is nice being able to control application audio, it is NOT great to lose bass/treble controls, because I can tell you, creative has some of the best sounding audio cards out there. I used a lot. I haven't tried a Xonar one yet, but I intend to one day.

I also don't like the way you can't set Windows to exclude a single app from UAC controls (say, locate32 set to start on startup, & it asks you every time).

I like the way drivers can scan in multi-level folders when you are restoring them, instead of manually having to find which one it is.

Some things are better, some things are worse.

If I recall correctly, Trusted Computing Platform (anti copy tech) was foisted as a "feature" instead of a crippled windows, as were many other "lockdowns".

There are many others that are far too detailed to list here...

Makes no sense at all to me, since the very first time something is in human readable or audible format, it is already bypassed.

I have no idea why they even bothered with that. You can't lock knowledge up.

Anyway, the main things I don't like about 7, are the way they took audio controls away from users (bass/treble) & now I have to use a manufacturer application instead to run it through... What were they thinking? That wasn't a feature! LOL!

I just hope Windows 8 isn't even MORE "less" functional! Hahaha!

• Moderators

Now, people *need* to use them.

Where I live you now have to have a computer, or know someone that will let you use theirs just to get some yearly taxes information which isn't available at a physical location anymore.

Good thing they'll know where all of the iPhone users are, eh? :lol:

How awful, LOL!

Anyway, just to let you know, I was playing with windows 7 & just discovered 2 new reasons I hate it!

When viewing an image in Windows 7, it will NOT:

- Play GIF animations (internet explorer is used for this)

- Enlarge smaller images without pixelation

Anyone know why this is?

I hate to think XP is more advanced than Windows 7, because after all, Windows 7 does contain some great features & updates.

Anyone got a solution to my problems in 7?

For the record, in XP, images enlarge with no pixelation & the default image viewer does play gif animations...

Is there any way to force 7 to stop pixelation & get it to play gif animations?