Ubuntu 11

Ishi

Last night, I suddenly had the mood to look for the best Linux distros and when I visited the Ubuntu website, it says they will release Ubuntu 11.04 on the 28th of April which is today. I didn't expect that so today I am waiting for it, I'm not going for the beta cause its too late for that anyway. They may just be on a different time zone so although its already 10:28 AM of April 28th on the place where I live, they are still not releasing it but I'm waiting. It would be interesting to see. I assume guys like Tasgandy whose a Ubuntu fan would be interested. :rolleyes:

Ubuntu Website

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

I use Linux Mint 9 but I once tried Ubuntu 9 and then Ubuntu 10 on a USB flash drive. Its amazing how time flies nowadays. And I am really excited about this new development.

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

I've been looking forward to this release too, although I'll give it a try on another USB drive before I update 10.10.

I've tried a lot of distros over the last few weeks, and Ubuntu beats them all for me. Although I'm also a big fan of SliTaz, which I keep as a "Live" rescue flash drive.

• Moderators

The official page in ishi's first post was a desperately slow download speed

Most of the larger Linux distros I've downloaded have had rather slow download speeds and failed downloads, I won't dare download them without using a download manager anymore.

• Moderators

I have to say after installing it to a USB drive my first impressions are ones of disappointment.

Why on earth they've changed the way of accessing settings menu's, and stuck a fixed panel at the top of the screen I can't understand.

I spent my first 15 to 20 minutes trying to find some way to move that menu bar to the bottom without any success, and after looking for a way to get rid of the horrible launcher down the side of the screen, I gave up.

If I've missed a way to do it I'm past caring. Wasted enough time on it.

My first experience of Ubuntu 10.10 was a pleasure, and I had a lot of things set up and running perfectly within a very short space of time. I didn't enjoy anything about this new version, so it's back to the far better 10.10 for me.

Just my personal opinion of course. You guys might love it.

• Moderators

I tried a Linux distro sometime ago which I spent the good part of an hour looking for a way to make the desktop display a bigger font but it had no settings to allow for it - just that one little simple thing was enough to get rid of it.

I have to say after installing it to a USB drive my first impressions are ones of disappointment.

Why on earth they've changed the way of accessing settings menu's, and stuck a fixed panel at the top of the screen I can't understand.

I spent my first 15 to 20 minutes trying to find some way to move that menu bar to the bottom without any success, and after looking for a way to get rid of the horrible launcher down the side of the screen, I gave up.

If I've missed a way to do it I'm past caring. Wasted enough time on it.

My first experience of Ubuntu 10.10 was a pleasure, and I had a lot of things set up and running perfectly within a very short space of time. I didn't enjoy anything about this new version, so it's back to the far better 10.10 for me.

Just my personal opinion of course. You guys might love it.

There's an option to bring it back to the old (10.10) navigation method.

The Unity devs are going the same way GNOME 3 devs are : no settings to change basic things such as dock position, for the sake of simplicity and consistency. That's ridiculous.

Piriform French translator

• Moderators

The how to would be a good thing. :)

Might even persuade me to install it again. I didn't find any option like that, which doesn't mean that it isn't there of course.

Even then, the entire interface is so different, and apparently based upon a completely different structured way of doing things that I don't think you can get rid of the top menu bar or the launcher.

But, I would be happy to be proved wrong.

• Moderators

I logged off as the Ubuntu account and logged in as Root in case the Root account had more options, but I didn't see anything on the log in screen, although there is a "Log In Screen" option in the settings, if you can find it.

There may be options there which don't show when actually logging in.

• Moderators

I logged off as the Ubuntu account and logged in as Root in case the Root account had more options, but I didn't see anything on the log in screen, although there is a "Log In Screen" option in the settings, if you can find it.

There may be options there which don't show when actually logging in.

Unusual quoting myself, but when you're right, you're right. :lol:

Ububtu 11.04 with 10.10 UI and menus etc ...

Change settings at Log In options window ...

Credit to you guys of course for picking up something I most definitely didn't.

• Moderators

That rocky Tux looks like it has breasts :blink:

:lol: Something else I didn't notice. That was a temp choice. I've got the wallpaper back I liked in version 10.10 now.

If anyone liked any of the 10.10 installed wallpapers, which are different in 11.04, I found them here ...

http://www.linuxnov.com/default-30-backgrounds-for-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/

I tried this Ubuntu 11.04 and its not the best for me. I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu and I'd rather stick with Linux Mint 9 cause its easier for me to use. Even this latest version of Ubuntu just lacks the GUI features that I got myself accustomed with on Linux Mint.

I tried this Ubuntu 11.04 and its not the best for me. I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu and I'd rather stick with Linux Mint 9 cause its easier for me to use. Even this latest version of Ubuntu just lacks the GUI features that I got myself accustomed with on Linux Mint.

Ishi, have you configured a firewall in Mint 9? Is it easy?

I'm on here now w/ Mint 9, meant to try out Ubuntu 10.10 but put the wrong DVD in. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I'm on here now w/ Mint 9, meant to try out Ubuntu 10.10 but put the wrong DVD in. :P

I sometimes think there's no hope for me ... and then along comes one of your posts, and hope breathes eternal again. :lol:

I sometimes think there's no hope for me ... and then along comes one of your posts, and hope breathes eternal again. :lol:

I probably wouldn't have known the difference, except everything was green. :blink:

Going away now, back with Ubuntu soon. Probably.

Edit: made it back w/ Ubuntu 10.10. Seems OK.

The system tray is at the top, and everything is orange or pink, but I can get on the 'net and the radio plays. :-)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

You can change the top system tray position OK, but first you have to delete the bottom panel, and then the option to shift the top one to the bottom appears in the right click menu where it was previously greyed out.

I've been messing around with 11.04, but I find it still a bit buggy when installing new programs, and it's frozen on me once or twice.

Ubunbtu isn't something I could use for any length of time, I'm too used to my Windows set up, but for a free Operating System on a stick, you can't really grumble.

Last night, I suddenly had the mood to look for the best Linux distros and when I visited the Ubuntu website, it says they will release Ubuntu 11.04 on the 28th of April which is today. I didn't expect that so today I am waiting for it, I'm not going for the beta cause its too late for that anyway. They may just be on a different time zone so although its already 10:28 AM of April 28th on the place where I live, they are still not releasing it but I'm waiting. It would be interesting to see. I assume guys like Tasgandy whose a Ubuntu fan would be interested. :rolleyes:

Ubuntu Website

Thanks Ishi, due to me spending a lot of time getting ready for my 4,000Klm road trip in July I have not even turned my Ubuntu 10.10 box on, also playing with a new toy an 5 year old G4 PowerBook (OSX 10.4.11), so NOW I have fired up the Ubuntu and the "Upgrade to Version 11.04" dialogue box has popped up and we are downloading @ 50 to 105kb/s.............so thank you for the heads-up. :D

I shall spend some time with 11.04 this weekend and report back.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"