3.04.1389 and Thunderbird

camper

I use the Thunderbird email client and also the Firefox browser.

I want Thunderbird to remember passwords. I do not want Firefox to remember passwords.

So I configured ccleaner to remove Mozilla/Firefox passwords. Up to and including version 3.03, ccleaner worked as I expected. However, with version 3.04 a bug was introduced that deletes the Thunderbird passwords when I have Firefox password removal checked.

Can Firefox and Thunderbird processing be split into two separate applications on the checklist of what is to be deleted?

Windows 7, 64-bit, not SP1 yet.

• Moderators

Why not just use firefoxes settings to not save passwords then uncheck passwords under mozilla?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Why not just use firefoxes settings to not save passwords then uncheck passwords under mozilla?

Then why does CCleaner have the password removal option for Firefox/Mozilla if it is not needed?

All I am asking is for the two applications, Thunderbird and Firefox, to be treated as two separate applications.

Then why does CCleaner have the password removal option for Firefox/Mozilla if it is not needed?

Because users are lazy and want CCleaner to do everything,

hence CCleaner also meets their needs to prune System Restore points and to remove applications.

Alan

I want Thunderbird to remember passwords. I do not want Firefox to remember passwords.

[...]

Can Firefox and Thunderbird processing be split into two separate applications on the checklist of what is to be deleted?

Same here, I have to agree with camper, I also found the new behaviour

introduced with v3.04 quite annoying (to say the least ;)).

In fact, that's why went straight to the forum looking for a thread like this.

Please make the treatment of Firefox and thunderbird separate, they are

two different programs after all.

--spacemarine

Because users are lazy and want CCleaner to do everything,

Maybe users are lazy but aren't stupid. Users would like to know what happens and why those passwords are gone when no option has explicitly been set. The actual CClear behavior is at least superficial and must be changed without alternatives. There aren't justifications for deleting *passwords* (and not cookies or temp files) without an explicit confirmation.

Maybe users are lazy but aren't stupid. Users would like to know what happens and why those passwords are gone when no option has explicitly been set. The actual CClear behavior is at least superficial and must be changed without alternatives. There aren't justifications for deleting *passwords* (and not cookies or temp files) without an explicit confirmation.

I did not imply stupidity.

I was merely explaining that CCleaner meets the desires of some Users who want it to do redundant actions,

redundant because these actions are already taken care of by other means.

I have no interest in arguing about explicit confirmation.

I think you should move to your own topic in the Suggestions forum if you want to be explicitly notified of each and every password that is about to be deleted.

Hi guys new to the forum here, seen the same problem here previous version of ccleaner did not remove password in thunderbird even with clean password box checked. To me not a big deal just unchecked the clean password box under firefox/mozilla and it no longer removes my thunderbird password. I also have remember password in firefox unchecked, maybe the next version will fix this and have firefox and thunderbird separate from each other.

sorry to hijack here :)

it happens to Opera 11.10 build 2020.

previous CCleaner v3.03, even if i tick to remove "(opera) cookies", my saved login pages are maintained. Even the NoAds extension 'remembers' the blocked elements/ads.

now with v3.04, checking "(Opera) cookies" will remove the cookies <--- it even removes saved login pages and even NoAds settings (blocked elements/ads). Too aggressive perhaps?

took me many tries to isolate which settings caused my Opera to "forget" all login pages and NoAds settings.

just my 2cents comments.

• Moderators

sorry to hijack here :)

it happens to Opera 11.10 build 2020.

previous CCleaner v3.03, even if i tick to remove "(opera) cookies", my saved login pages are maintained. Even the NoAds extension 'remembers' the blocked elements/ads.

now with v3.04, checking "(Opera) cookies" will remove the cookies <--- it even removes saved login pages and even NoAds settings (blocked elements/ads). Too aggressive perhaps?

took me many tries to isolate which settings caused my Opera to "forget" all login pages and NoAds settings.

just my 2cents comments.

o_O this has nothing to do with the topic which is about thunderbird and firefox not opera. You knew you were hijacking so why'd you do it. Apologizing doesn't make the hijack anyless of a bother, please start your OWN thread. Thanks.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

I ran into this problem as well a few days ago. Please make this 2 separate applications.

I 'd like:

1) to have my Firefox passwords cleaned

2) to keep my Thunderbird passwords

3) without having to change a setting in either of the programs for this. It 's exactly the purpose of CCleaner to be able to set all cleaning options in 1 program.

+ it 's just not clear in the user interface in any way. It has the Firefox icon + "Firefox / Mozilla". Changing that to the Mozilla icon + "Mozilla profiles" would already make things much clearer, imho. But best of all is to just separate the 2.

As a workaround add the Thunderbird files you do not want deleted to CCleaner's "Add To Exclude List".

For users who are unsure how to do this, run Analyze on CCleaner, double click on "Firefox/Mozilla - Saved Passwords" in the summary results pane, right click on the files you wish to exclude from wiping and then choose "Add to Exclude list".

• 1 month later...

I ran into this problem as well a few days ago. Please make this 2 separate applications.

I 'd like:

1) to have my Firefox passwords cleaned

2) to keep my Thunderbird passwords

3) without having to change a setting in either of the programs for this. It 's exactly the purpose of CCleaner to be able to set all cleaning options in 1 program.

+ it 's just not clear in the user interface in any way. It has the Firefox icon + "Firefox / Mozilla". Changing that to the Mozilla icon + "Mozilla profiles" would already make things much clearer, imho. But best of all is to just separate the 2.

That..

I have to concur, spearate the Firefox and Thunderbird applications in CCleaner please. It's unnecessarily confusiing the way it's set up now and they are distinct application with different needs and utiltiies.

..and this.

I am quite sure this will be fixed pretty soon as it's simply unclear that Thunderbirds passwords will be deleted.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Doesn't look like this is going to be fixed any time soon. Pretty annoying.

The developers read and consider each thread. They rarely post and thus, you should not read the "silence" from them to mean that it will not be changed.

Sorry, but the thread was started 5 months ago, so the problem has been around at least that long. The devs should say something, either that things are not going to change for whatever reason or that it's being prioritized. Silence is the worst they can do.

Sorry, but the thread was started 5 months ago, so the problem has been around at least that long. The devs should say something, either that things are not going to change for whatever reason or that it's being prioritized. Silence is the worst they can do.

The devs NEVER have an obligation to us free-loaders.

I am sure they will communicate directly with you if you take the option for paid support.

• 1 month later...

First, sorry if this post is somewhat misplaced - perhaps it should be in suggestions? Mods, feel free to delete or move, or point me to the right thread.

I want to point out that it isn't just passwords; Mozilla fairly recently updated Thunderbird to share more components with Firefox - they now use the same rendering engine and, apparently, cache location. I don't know what else they now share, but the point is that they used to be more isolated from each other, and Mozilla intentionally changed Thunderbird to "better align" it with FF. I'm sure it makes sense to their developers and even to users, to a degree.

Now, with the most recent versions of FF and TB, I have problems with CCleaner pulling the cache out from under TB if I run CCleaner with TB open - particularly images in mail messages or RSS feeds, and Thunderbird does not seem to go back to the web for them. (Yeah, that sounds like a Mozilla issue to me, but here we are.) Previously, CCleaner would warn you if you ran it manually (but not with a recycle bin right-click, etc.) while Firefox was running. Perhaps it now needs to do the same with Thunderbird, for the same reasons?

There may be work-arounds but, in the short term, I think that understanding the issue is just as important. If it can first be reliably detected, that's often a good part of the battle.

Thanks!

I use thunderbird 6.0b and I have separate cache locations for Fx and Tb. I don't think they're supposed to share a cache location

Possibly my mistake, then, and maybe I'll dig into it later. It's just that this problem only started, as far as I know, when they "aligned" TB with FF.

Now, with the most recent versions of FF and TB, I have problems with CCleaner pulling the cache out from under TB if I run CCleaner with TB open - particularly images in mail messages or RSS feeds, and Thunderbird does not seem to go back to the web for them. (Yeah, that sounds like a Mozilla issue to me, but here we are.) Previously, CCleaner would warn you if you ran it manually (but not with a recycle bin right-click, etc.) while Firefox was running. Perhaps it now needs to do the same with Thunderbird, for the same reasons?

Thanks, we'll look into this.

• 1 month later...