Cleaning I E files and index.dat ? !

exasse

• Moderators

um maybe you don't realize but it is holiday season and thus many of us helpers are busy. Also you give no information

What does this mean

I have no cleaning of Internet Explorer files and index.dat !

I don't have this issue. Please note that as index.dat is not vacuming and not removing the file (I believe) it will not be listed as a file cleaned but it should be deleting the data in it

EDIT: Removed incorrect, wrongly placed not which must have caused confusion in this thread

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

This has been raised in other topics. It seems that the index.dat files are not listed anywhere in either analysis or clean, and there's some confusion whether the important ones are cleaned (CC never cleaned all index.dat files). Documentation on this is zilch, so we're still in the dark.

• Moderators

Because, as I just stated above, the dat files themselves are no longer deleted just emptied (think of it akin to the reg entries that are removed but not listed in analyis or clean)

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

edit at 21:45 fr :

Thanks for reading and I don't annoy you longer !

Not resolved :angry:

I don't understand why you say it is not resolved?

I told you the files themselves are no longer deleted (except for privacIE, IECompatcache and IEtldCache) thus it'll say zero files

I also don't understand why, when yesterday the last post you made said "canceled" which I took to mean that you actually don't have the issue, you post such a rude response and the open a new thread with just a link to this thread.

please read my responses above

I carefully laid out to you that the indexes are now emptied

Please note that as index.dat is not vacuming and not removing the file (I believe) it will not be listed as a file cleaned but it should be deleting the data in it

and

the dat files themselves are no longer deleted just emptied (think of it akin to the reg entries that are removed but not listed in analyis or clean)

on top of all that, many of the dat files previously removed by the (all-incompassing and confusingly vaugue) index.dat check box are now found in IE History clean post-21882-028827400 1293743822_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Since no one seems to be able to help OP, perhaps the thread should be closed.

agreed, but only because it is becoming insulting and the original poster is not giving enough information to allow us to give aid (and has twice stated that they give up on recieving an answer)

Based on a conversation I had with the Original poster I have reopened this topic. Please be aware that rudness and insults will NOT be tolerated. This includes posts by the members as well as by the original poster.

Just because someone speaks a different language from the one being written in does not make them "obtuse." On the other hand to continually insist that no one is helping and that what the original poster is saying is gospel and to not listen to the information givin about the new way dat files are handled in ccleaner, and yet give no further information toward why you think this is not the issue at hand, makes it impossible to help.

The attitude in the following quoted posts will not be tolerated and if it continues I will re-close the thread

I am sorry, but I missed it.

Where is the rule that I may read a topic but must then contribute either with help or an apology for my inability.

Alan

canceled

edit at 21:45 fr :

Thanks for reading and I don't annoy you longer !

Not resolved :angry:

I have no IE cleaning !!!

The end for me but I am disappointed :angry:

Well at least you didn't have to find an English dictionary to discover the meaning of obtuse............

bahaha.

On top of that, the Original poster is reminded that to create new threads for the same issue and/or to piggy back onto other unreleated threads is incorrect behavior.

Can we please make some movement in this thread.

Thank You,

NdC

• Moderators

I have some sympathy with Exasse as regards Index.dat files. For a start the documentation on Index.dat files does not reflect any new or different action. There's nothing to say that Index.data files are cleaned elsewhere. And there's no specific list of what Index.dat files are cleaned, so it's all guesswork really.

Why is the old Index.dat checkbox still present?

I ran a few tests and found that:

The Index.dat box does nothing on clean

The History box cleans the Index.dat file in history, no more

The Cookies box cleans a few Index.dat files

The Temp Int Files cleans Index.dat in the Temp Int Files folder.

So it seems that you get Index.dat's cleaned in History and Temp Int Files. I'm not going to install an old version of CC to see what that did, but I have a feeling that it cleaned more than that.

Maybe if the Index.dat box is removed then the cleaning would be more as it is described: History for History, Cookies for Cookies, and TIF for TIF.

A new user coming to CC would be fine: the old users who remember the Index.dat box are confused.

• Moderators
v3.01.1327 (25 Nov 2010)

- Improved application startup time and INI loading speeds.

- Removed need to reboot for Index.dat cleaning.

- Improved cookie cleaning in Firefox 4.0 Beta 7.

- Improved Chromium based browser detection and cleaning.

- Added support for Adobe Reader 10 and Acronis True Image.

- Improved cleaning for 7-Zip, Adobe Reader 9.0, Microsoft Silverlight Isolated Storage, WinPatrol and Microsoft Management Console.

- Added support for local domains in "Cookies to Keep" list.

- Improved debugging with log file support using /DEBUG command-line parameter.

- Improved detection algorithm for 64-bit and Program Files.

- Improved folder drag and drop in Include options.

- Fixed bug in Uninstall Tool during cancellation.

- Improved drive detection in Drive Wiper screen.

- Added support to refresh cleaning rules using F5.

- Improved translations.

- Minor GUI improvements.

This is the hint in the change of dat cleaning. This brings CCleaner to the point that other dat cleaning program have, where, as I've said, the dats are emptied. The Dats that are not emptied are the ones not locked by the operating system. Those dats are still deleted, some are deleted by the index dats checkmark (I mentioned those above) others are deleted by the new IE history section.

Umm it seems I maybe to blame for the confusion in this thread. It seems I may have accidentally stated "not vacuumed" above, where I meant to say is vacuumed. Please see below with my corrected sentence

Please note that as index.dat is not vacuming and not removing the file (I believe) it will not be listed as a file cleaned but it should be deleting the data in it

EDIT: Removed incorrect, wrongly placed not which must have caused confusion in this thread

• Moderators

I'm unsure what if anything this post that you linked brings to the subject.

The posts in that thread show that there are index.dats being removed (those are the ones I referred to earlier privacIE,IECompatcache and IEtldCache) and other than that I see nothing to note that it is not being cleaned

This is how the translator program translates the post you reference

Hello,

I noticed in the latest version of CCleaner that files related to IE

are no longer shown in the interface even if it appears they may nevertheless be taken into account? !

this is exactly what I told you

the contents of the dats are emptied, previously ccleaner marked those files for deletion instead. The Right Pane of ccleaner ONLY shows files that are deleted, not ones that are emptied and not registry entries which are removed (of which there are many) in the cleaner section of the program (by which I mean I am not refering to the registry section of ccleaner)

• Moderators

due to your use of ie6 you won't have those other .dat files so it will show nothing under dat files. However please remember just because you don't use IE doesn't make it safe to have the old version (it's still exploitable by viruses and malware even if you don't use it) so please for your sake and the sake of those whose computers come into contact with yours update to at least ie7