Upgrade failure

JohnPh

My HP notebook PC runs Windows XP Pro with SP3 & IE8, and has all updates & patches up to date. I have used Recuva v1.26 successfully for some time, but recently when I downloaded and upgraded it to v1.38, Recuva seems to install OK - but won't start. It just flashes on the screen then disappears. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted, downloaded again but the result is the same. I have tried various other versions later than v1.26 and they all have the same problem. If I reinstall v1.26 again it works fine. Any ideas ??

I use IE 8. No, I have not tried cleaning the browser cache and trying the download again - nor downloading with a different browser. I doubt either would make much difference - if I download Recuva v1.26 again and install it, it works ... Any later version does not work.

Hi,

Same here, Install in a newly reinstalled Win.XP sp3,

Installed smoothly but when I tried to open, it just flashed and disappeared.

Use IE8, Ccleanered and defragged and reinstalled....same problem

(this same computer did not have any problem with ver.1.24 and ver 1.38 earlier)

Any ideas ?

Thanks

• Moderators

where are you downloading it from , have you tried the portable build? does the user you are using have admin privilages? can both of you check your windows application logs and see if there is a crash error.

Also be sure you aren't running the wrong exe. If running XP be sure to run recuva.exe not recuva64.exe if running XP64bit then run recuva64.exe not recuva.exe.

can you please run recuva in debug mode to and post the logs

like I did Recuva_log1_38_50410-10-2010_15-34.txt

go to run in the start menu and type

"c:\program files\recuva\recuva.exe" /debug

exactly with the quotes as I put them in where "c:\program files\recuva\" is replaced by the location you installed it.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I am downloading Recuva v1.38.504 from the Piriform site - filename is rcsetup138.exe. I have not tried the portable build - was not aware there was one.

Yes, the user has full admin privileges.

There is no crash error in the windows application log (Event Viewer).

Yes, it is running on 32-bit XP and I am running recuva.exe not recuva64.exe.

Tried to run Recuva in debug mode using "c:\progra~1\recuva\recuva.exe" /debug - but the result is the same and this log file is created -

Recuva_log1_38_50411-10-2010_11-54.txt:

[2010-10-11 12:04:09] [iNFO ] Recuva v1.38.504

[2010-10-11 12:04:09] [iNFO ] System Info: MS Windows XP Professional SP3, Intel Pentium M processor 1.86GHz, 2.0GB RAM, ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600

If I edit the Recuva.ini file line

ShowWizard=0

to

ShowWizard=1

- when it flashes up it briefly shows either mode correctly, then disappears.

Again, if I reinstall v1.26 it runs fine.

Recuva_log1_38_50411-10-2010_11-54.txt

• Moderators

was there also a dump file in the directory after thew /debug?

please note that the developers read all of these threads so the more information provided the better they can look into it. the dump will be too big to attach, but if you use a site, such as drop.io you can upload it there and link.

once my vbox linux is loaded up, I'll install recuva on my xp mode and see if I can recreate the issue

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

Cool the developers should look into this with this issue :)

• Moderators

Are either of you using a security product? if so which one (from both of you please). I could not reproduce this on any of my winxp machines.

Yes, naturally I am using security products:

NOD32 v4.2.35

Sunbelt Personal Firewall

Windows Defender

Spybot Search & Destroy (scans at night only)

- but I am not sure that using any of these explains why Recuva v1.26 can be downloaded, installed and run without a problem - whereas any later version fails to run ... ??

• Moderators

my bet is leaning toward nod32 not liking the latest Recuva's boot process can you (temporarily just to test this theory) turn off nod32's Real‑time file system protection.

I don't have NOD32 so am having to rely on the user manual

but I wonder if this is not what is causing the issue

4.1.1.1.3 Advanced scan options

More detailed setup options can be found under Antivirus and

antispyware > Real-time system protection > Advanced setup.

Additional ThreatSense parameters for newly created and

modified files ? The probability of infection in newly‑created or

modified files is comparatively higher than in existing files. That

is why the program checks these files with additional scanning

parameters. Along with common signature‑based scanning methods,

advanced heuristics are used, which greatly improves detection rates.

In addition to newly‑created files, scanning is also performed on

self‑extracting files (.sfx) and runtime packers (internally compressed

executable files). By default, archives are scanned up to the 10th

nesting level and are checked regardless of their actual size. To modify

archive scan settings, deselect the Default archive scan settings

option.

Additonal ThreatSense parameters for executed files ? By default,

advanced heuristics are not used when files are executed. However,

in some cases you may want to enable this option (by checking the

Advanced heuristics on file execution option). Note that advanced

heuristics may slow the execution of some programs due to increased

system requirements.

I have no idea what happens in safe mode. I may try it when I have spare time - which is rarely - but I really don't want to keep on & on trying time consuming random tricks just in case they may work. This is not the sort of fault I would usually try to rectify using safe mode - unless you really think it has a strong chance of succeeding in finding a permanent solution ??

• Moderators

I was asking about safe mode because if Recuva ran there it would lend credence to the fact that it could be a third-party driver stopping it in real time.

Was just troubleshooting not randomizing :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Troubleshooting & randomizing - can be almost the same thing !! But fair enough - I will try it when time permits ... :) Tried installing v1.38 on another PC with almost identical configuration, and it worked fine ...

• Moderators

<_< [rant] The problem with not trying the "random" things suggested is it makes it impossible for anyone to find and fix the problem. These are not "random" requests. We are people familar with both the programs provided by this company and troubleshooting in general. As we are not sitting at your terminal, and I doubt you'd be willing to let some random stranger (us) remote desktop into your machine, we require you to be our hands and eyes and to do the steps we ask . . . else your report is useless and will not be fixed. [/rant]

that said if you don't want us to solve this, or don't want to help with this anymore let us know and we'll let it lie.

I repeat what I said above

the more information provided the better they (the developers)can look into it.

Hi Hazelnut and Nergal,

Sorry for late reply, I was away for few days...

I followed your suggestion today, I disabled the Norton Internet Security 2010,

Uninstalled the Recuva using Revo Uninstaller, reinstalled the freshly downloaded

Recuva 1.38 from your website....same problem (no problem when installed Recuva but

when I tried to open it just flashes then disappears). I am not a techie...so don't know

where to look for evidents, if you have time and do not mind telling me I will be more than willing to try

my computer is a Dell Vostro 400,30 month old, winXP Sp2 originaly (now sp3),1 new 500GB SATA2 hard drive added,

2 partitions, Quad6600, 3GB DDR2 Ram, fresh Installed winXP-sp2 one week ago, upgraded to SP3 and all updates provided

from Microsoft,then I install RECUVA 3 times, all failed to open, then I installed Word 2003, Mircosoft Works 9, Office 2003 (the reason I mention these because it comes with a warning from Dell CD that I have to install all 3, with a specific order/sequence, otherwise problems,

of course I do not want Works 9...but I went along...It also Installed PowerPoint 2007 automatically

without my consent or intervention but the PowerPoint turned out a non functional(not working) but it's still

shown in windows "Add/Remove", of course I removed it last night. I formatted the previous 320GB hard drive the removed from the computer.

(at the time of installing RECUVA there are 2 hard drives, both have windows XP, but for sure the computer was booted from the new drive,

where the Recuva also resides), I also have TrueCrypt, using only

for external USB drive ( no TC files/container on computer), a Magic Disk software for use with a Dictionary ( so I don't

need to load CD in each time I want to use). I also installed Microsoft NetFrameWork 3.5 because Dell CD requires it when I want

to reload some of its drivers (had to try a few times, not a smooth install, the problems are well documented anyway), I also have Adobe reader, Flash

and AIR (which I did not want, it installed automatically, I did not remove it, don't want any problem) Those are major things in my computer at the moment which I can think of may be causing problem ?

Thank you for your patience

Nergal I understand what you are saying, but let me clarify that although classed as a "newbie" by this site, I am an IT professional with more than 20 years experience, so although I am not familar with the inner workings of the programs provided by your company, I do know about troubleshooting in general, and use it every working day. I only ever seek help when all else has failed.

Having said that, the point is sometimes reached where the time & effort being expended become disproportinate to the expected benefit, and one must cut losses and move on without reaching a satisfactory solution. Although I really would still like to resolve this issue if possible, I suspect that point will soon be reached. If you really think I should try safe mode I will when time permits; meanwhile if you have any other ideas I would be glad to hear them. Logic suggests that if there are many thousands of Recuva users out there, more than just me & Tony77 will have encountered this problem.

• Moderators

couple things, I apologize if my reply seemed curt or unplesant (this was not my intent)

1) I don't work for piriform. Myself and all the moderators are strictly members who have in the past been helpful enough to be allowed to remove spam and move topics, so it isn't my company.

2) it's exactly for those 1000s of other users with the same issue as yourself and Tony77 that we are trying to figureout through troubleshooting, what is occuring. 99% of them don't know to post in a forum or how to ask a question in a way which we can aid them. Obviously Tony and yourself are not among that population and therefore are indeed the only ones able to give the developers the requisite information needed to recreate and fix this issue.

Again, I mean no disrespect, infact we need your help in this matter more than you need ours.

Cheers

Nergal

Hi Hazelnut, Nergal and JohnPh,

I reformatted the drive and installed windows again, this time I loaded all Dell stuff,

even some seem irrelevant ones and stay away from dell's Word2003 and no

Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5...Everything is fine and Recuva 1.38.504 works beautifully

as well as CCleaner and few dozen apps, in fact Ccleaner clears the cookie list on the left panel

(opposite the cookie to keep panel) if I wish (could not do that in the past)

I'm backing everything up with Paragon System Backup now and tomorrow will try that Dell's Works 9

and Word2003...if there is any problem will let you know

Bye for now

Tony