Firefox users, are these extensions necessary?

slowday444

Java Console, Java Quick Starter and MS .NET Framework Assistant? I'm trying to speed the startup of Sandboxed browser sessions on 32 Bit XP. I've gained about 10 seconds by disabling several I rarely use and am wondering about these. Thank You!

Java Console, Java Quick Starter and MS .NET Framework Assistant? I'm trying to speed the startup of Sandboxed browser sessions on 32 Bit XP. I've gained about 10 seconds by disabling several I rarely use and am wondering about these. Thank You!

Java Quick Starter >> Disable, unless you visit lots of websites that need Java.

.NET Framework Assistant >> Never used. Disable.

Java Console >> Unless you debug Java web apps, disable.

Piriform French translator

With SandboxIE 3.442 Firefox takes 8 seconds to load from cold and 5 seconds to load from a re-run.

It's not exactly fast but still a reasonable loading duration considering the age of this PC.

Richard S.

Java Quick Starter >> Disable, unless you visit lots of websites that need Java.

.NET Framework Assistant >> Never used. Disable.

Java Console >> Unless you debug Java web apps, disable.

Just to expand that a little - Java Quick Starter needs to be disabled from within Java (Control Panel>Java>Advanced tab, tickbox under 'miscellaneous'). The NET Framework requires a a little work to remove:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963707

• Moderators

Don't remove the .NET Framework one - you don't know if you'll need it one day.

I completely remove it, as in every trace on the system. The day I'd actually need that extension for anything whatsoever, probably never, which is why I also block it in Automatic Updates.

I completely remove it, as in every trace on the system. The day I'd actually need that extension for anything whatsoever, probably never, which is why I also block it in Automatic Updates.

Microsoft hasn't really chosen a good way to install it - but they wouldn't simply do that if it was useless. It adds ClickOnce support.

Why didn't you simply disable it ? :huh:

• Moderators

Microsoft hasn't really chosen a good way to install it - but they wouldn't simply do that if it was useless. It adds ClickOnce support.

Why didn't you simply disable it ? :huh:

Simply because there was no option to opt out of installing it, which I never would have allowed if given the option.

Don't remove the .NET Framework one - you don't know if you'll need it one day.

There is absolutely no need for the .NET Framework Assistant in FF and it can be removed using the instructions given in the link I posted. It has absolutely no effect on the functionality of the .NET Framework itself.

There is absolutely no need for the .NET Framework Assistant in FF and it can be removed using the instructions given in the link I posted. It has absolutely no effect on the functionality of the .NET Framework itself.

It adds support for ClickOnce apps.

Seriously, do you think Microsoft are so bad they would want to install an addon that does nothing ? :rolleyes:

It adds support for ClickOnce apps.

Seriously, do you think Microsoft are so bad they would want to install an addon that does nothing ? :rolleyes:

Have you ever come across a ClickOnce app? I removed the assistant on day one and have never had any page or app not work due to my Firefox's lack of ClickOnce support. There are lots of things you could install that add support for this that or t'other, should you install them all even though you'll never even see, let alone use, what they add support for though?

Have you ever come across a ClickOnce app? I removed the assistant on day one and have never had any page or app not work due to my Firefox's lack of ClickOnce support. There are lots of things you could install that add support for this that or t'other, should you install them all even though you'll never even see, let alone use, what they add support for though?

No. However, you can simply disable it - if you ever encounter a ClickOnce app, you'll be able to use it by re-enabling the addon.