Alert for those using Firefox 3.5.7

PSCD

Hello.

Just an alert about the Ghostery 2.0.2 extension for Firefox which show a message when openning Ccleaner telling it could not work if Firefox is not closed. (Even if it is closed as Ghostery prevent the Firefox.exe process to be closed so it is still present in the background.)

@+

There are other extensions such as DownThemAll which run quite happily with Firefox seemingly closed down, but as they're an extension of Firefox, it is actually still running, and recognized by CCleaner as such

Not a problem I've ever experienced with DownThemAll

• Moderators

I dunno how you manage that JD, and I had to do a quick check to make sure I wasn't missing something, but with Firefox seemingly closed and only "DownThemAll" left running, Firefox is classed as still running in my experience.

It's never been any different in a couple of years of using DTA. I would have guessed the same would apply with any Firefox extension left running after closing down the main Firefox Browser, simply because they're part of Firefox.

xSCSys.jpg

Just in case that screeny is misleading, the browser behind DownThemAll in it is Opera.

Oh I see what you mean, actually leaving DTA open then closing FF. I thought you just meant having it installed caused FF to continue running in the background. Yes it does do that but it's not something I usually see myself as I only use it when FF is open and have it set to close when download completes. But it's not something specific to DTA, pretty much any extension window will remain open after FF is closed (try it with AdBlock for example), and DTA is only copying the default behaviour of FF's own built in download manager - that window also remains open even after FF is closed, as does the add-ons window (which has always been an irritation of mine - I've just closed FF, why would I want the addons window open :rolleyes: )

I've never understand why Firefox behaves in that way though, I can't see any reason why I would want any FF related extensions or windows to stay open by default when I've closed Firefox

• Moderators

I've always noticed that behavior simply because my browser of choice is Opera, and I only launch Firefox to use DownThemAll, and then I close Firefox and continue with Opera.

I was guessing there may be quite a few folk using one extension or another who think Firefox is closed when the main browser window is closed.

I've got FF 3.6 installed and the problem is still happening. So they haven't fixed it yet.

Frustrating.

CCleaner keeps telling me that it can't clean the FF temp cache because it's still open, even though FF is closed. Guess I'm gonna uncheck the option to clean the FF temp cache in the options window and delete the cache in FF instead. What a pain in the neck.

The strange thing is that on my other laptop, I don't have this problem at all. Both laptops are set up exactly the same as far as CCleaner and FireFox are concerned. Why it would work fine on one but not the other is beyond me... :huh:

[Edited to add] Oh, I've got Ghostery and Adblock installed in FF.

I've got FF 3.6 installed and the problem is still happening. So they haven't fixed it yet.

Frustrating.

CCleaner keeps telling me that it can't clean the FF temp cache because it's still open, even though FF is closed. Guess I'm gonna uncheck the option to clean the FF temp cache in the options window and delete the cache in FF instead. What a pain in the neck.

The strange thing is that on my other laptop, I don't have this problem at all. Both laptops are set up exactly the same as far as CCleaner and FireFox are concerned. Why it would work fine on one but not the other is beyond me... :huh:

If ccleaner is telling you it cannot clean firefox then the process is still active as said above.

On the other hand i could not replicate your issues. Firefox & the extension both got disposed of properly.

Hopefully one day ccleaner will force the execute of browser processes if enabled to.

Does the same happen when going file - exit

rather then close? (x)

edit:

By any chance is there a file "microsoft.exe" running in task manager? or Ivy.exe and microsoft.exe in system 32???

or do you have Always clear private data before closing checked?

also if you get a chance read http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox.exe_always_open might have a solution. i not got time to read it sorry.

Just a few suggestions to test with.

No fate but what we make