Defrag in preperation of partitioning

Jarige

Imagine you would want to create two partitions on your harddrive, but not being able to because none of the defraggers you've tried managed to make one chunk of free space!

Even Defrag freespace didn't do the job quite good enough. There were several files left in the whitespace. It kinda looks like this now:

* = data

+ = freespace

*****=========*=====

======*==========*=

=*========*========

This won't allow me to make an partition for Linux.

I hate NTFS, Ext4 doesn't need defragging! But heck, it gives you guys a job :)

Please add this soon, or anyone give me a free defragger that does this job. (I've tried OODefrag 12 Pro (trial) but that one just made my drive more fragmented, and I tried Auslogics defragger, which is not very different from Defraggler.

I would like to have some comments about this. Has anyone had this problem before?

Well I've solved my personal problem. I found out that the files where part of some NTFS journal, and thats why Defraggler couldn't move them.

If anyone has the same problem, click on one of the weird files, and check whether they are in C:\$Extend\$UsnJrnl. If they are, you can safely remove those files using this command:

fsutil usn deletejournal /D driveletter

(found the command here: http://www.mydefrag.com/forum/index.php?topic=495.0 )

Now I've managed to make a second partition.

It would be nice if Defraggler could remove them on command, or if it could just move them. But my problem is solved, so I don't really care anymore :)