CC doesn't remove cookie

SkyWired

The command-line window just flashes open & closed.

Must not be Vista compatible given the release date of "Published: November 1, 2006".

Thanks again

You have to open a command window (just type cmd in the run box) and then run it from inside there. You also need to be in the right folder for your exe location (or put in the system directory since that path is always available). Type 'PendMoves at the command prompt.

The date shouldn't be an issue, assuming Vista still uses the same registry locations.

I haven't used command-line much so this is a learning curve for me.

I extracted the PendMoves folder to Program Files.

Opened a command window (Run as Admin for Vista)

cd "\Program Files\"

C:\Program Files>cd Pendmoves

C:\Program Files\Pendmoves>pendmoves.exe

This worked for Pendmoves.

Can you give me an example for MoveFile?

Do I need navigate to folders or show a path?

1) To move a file.

2) To delete a file.

TIA

and you could give unlocker a go as well http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

NOTE: If you are using IE you may get a big red warning blocking access.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/T...tID=-2147338578

All it is is optional shortcuts to ebay, Microsoft think its a severe issue lol.

and this virustotal scan shows it's clean aswell (except NOD32 sees the adware)

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/4e04619...3cb4-1257337629

fireryone

I haven't used command-line much so this is a learning curve for me.

No worries :)

Can you give me an example for MoveFile?

Do I need navigate to folders or show a path?

1) To move a file.

2) To delete a file.

Okay. To make sure your exe is picked up easily, stick PendMoves and MoveFile in your system32 directory for now. This means that no matter what folder your command window opens at, the OS will be able to find the MoveFile exe easily.

To do a move, create a file something like c:\movetest.txt in explorer.

Then do: MoveFile c:\movetest.txt c:\moved.txt

(If your folder/file has spaces in it you'll need quotes around the name ... eg MoveFile "c:\my movetest.txt" c:\moved.txt)

Run both PendMoves and WhyReboot and you should now see this listed for a move.

To do a delete, create a file something like c:\delete.txt in explorer.

Then do: MoveFile c:\delete.txt ""

Run both PendMoves and WhyReboot and you should also now see this listed for deletion.

Reboot and see what happens! Rather than c:\movetest.txt and c:\delete.txt, you should now just have c:\moved.txt

Obviously if either of these were locked, it would enable them to be (re)moved at reboot.

My example files were conveniently located in c:\ ... longer paths are a pain to type in. One really useful tool for getting the path to a file is PathCopyEx (http://www.mlin.net/other.shtml), which adds a Windows explorer context menu 'Copy Path to Clipboard' for copying the selected file or folder path. One of the most useful context menu entries ever.

@marmite/Thanks

Works like a charm and will come in handy. B)

@Skywired

I thought we should rule out some more easy fixes.

1) Drag and Drop to Desktop and delete.

2) Cut and Paste to Desktop and delete.

3) Sometimes memory can hold on to a file or folder even if rebooted.

Shutdown your pc and wait two minutes, then startup and try to delete the folder.

4) Defrag

5) chkdsk

6)How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

Are you still there Skywired?

The following is advice from the Tech at work.

Download Ubuntu which is a free operating system by Linux.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Burn the ISO image file to a CD.

http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

Leave CD in drive and reboot.

The Ubuntu program offers the option of using the operating system as a demo directly from the CD, without an

installation or change to the computer settings.

Once booted up into the Ubuntu operating system, go to "Places" in the top menu bar and delete any file or folder at will.

Use with care because you can delete without Windows rules and permissions.

You wouldn't want to delete something like your Windows XP operating system. :o

If you think this could be some type of malware, virus or rootkit you should visit the Spyware Hell section of the forum.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showforum=12

Read and do as much as you can before you post.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20120

Good Luck!

Once booted up into the Ubuntu operating system, go to "Places" in the top menu bar and delete any file or folder at will.

Use with care because you can delete without Windows rules and permissions.

You wouldn't want to delete something like your Windows XP operating system. :o

If you think this could be some type of malware, virus or rootkit you should visit the Spyware Hell section of the forum.

Agree with the above. I hadn't thought of that and I'll add it to my ideas list :). Doesn't have to be Ubuntu ... could be (for example) any recovery disk that gives you independent access to your file system.

The only thing that concerns me about the general principle is that files get locked (or have their access permissions changed) for a reason. I've never yet been unable to delete a file without good reason ... like that it's an essential operating system file. In a healthy (non-infected) system there's pretty-well always a service or an exe or a driver you can disable at start-up (as usual, used with care Sysinternals autoruns is excellent for this). If you resort to a boot cd any old time you get a locked file, without considering or being aware of what you're deleting, there is a possibility of messing up your installation ... so I fully echo the comment in Jamin4u's post about taking care!

But ... this method wouldn't seem be a problem in this instance.

The only thing that concerns me is that files get locked (or have their access permissions changed) for a reason. I've never yet been unable to delete a file without good reason ...

Yet, an "important system file" should not be stored in a temporary directory.

+1 to the Ubuntu bootdisk idea if all the above fails.

fireryone

The only thing that concerns me is that files get locked (or have their access permissions changed) for a reason.
Yet, an "important system file" should not be stored in a temporary directory.

Absolutely, which is why I then said ...

But ... this method wouldn't seem be a problem in this instance.

The point I was making is about the general principle of using this method for 'any locked file file' ... original post now tweaked for clarity :)

think your problem is the flash cookie,,,did you try flash cookie cleaner,,,but after a couple of ckicls his comes back .

so i guess what you need is to set include and exclude in ccleaner.

Thanks for the ideas, but ...

Flash cookie cleaner has no effect.

Same is true for include and exclude in ccleaner

WHOA ... until my last reply, I didn't realize there is a "Page 2" to this thread. :huh:

UPDATE:

• I've tried everything on Page 1 to no avail.
    I retried various options w/ Unlocker and was able to Move the offending folders to a folder I named JUNK.

However, I was unable to move it to Recycle Bin or to a Compact Flash Card.

So now "sonicdrivein.com." no longer shows up in CCleaner.

NEXT: I'm going to attempt to "process and absorb" page 2. This may take some time as I've got much going on outside of this issue right now. I'm vastly appreciative of all the help. Thanks to all of you.

I'll post my next moves as soon as I'm able.

:(

If you use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware you could try FileASSASSIN under more tools.

Aside from my "sonic cookie" issue, I'm curious about Malwarebytes. I ran it's Scan function and it comes up w/ some same issues, but also w/ more issues than SpyBot.

I'm needing feedback from those more computer literate than me (everybody here):

Is this program, Malwarebytes, trustworthy?

Is there a way to backup only the things about to be changed before doing "fixes"

If I needed to restore an item or items, could I cut & paste from the Malwarebytes log file to the appropriate Registry location?

The thing is that these "issues" are all Registry issues ... and I'm not "fluent" in Registry. So I don't want to make a mistake here.

But I would like to get rid of these nasty sounding items (See Attachment).

Any comments?

Malwarebytes_Scan_Results.doc

Malwarebytes_Scan_Results.doc

Is this program, Malwarebytes, trustworthy?

Is there a way to backup only the things about to be changed before doing "fixes"

If I needed to restore an item or items, could I cut & paste from the Malwarebytes log file to the appropriate Registry location?

The thing is that these "issues" are all Registry issues ... and I'm not "fluent" in Registry. So I don't want to make a mistake here.

But I would like to get rid of these nasty sounding items.

Any comments?

Malwarebytes is totally trustworthy, and is one of the best applications for malware detection and removal.

When you remove the selected objects found, they are quarantined and can be restored from the quarantine tab.

Always update before scanning, and it's recommended to use the quick scan because it will do a very thorough job.

Here's a great program to back up the registry.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

If you need help with an infection, visit the Spyware Hell section of the forum. Read and do as much as you can in the pinned "Before you post".

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showforum=12

@SkyWired,

Its funny that I just suggested ERUNT to you because it just saved me today.

I rarely use it, but I'm always glad I have it.

System restore failed to restore my laptop today due to an error.

I used ERUNT to restore the registry to this mornings backup and bam, I was good.

It's very easy to use and you won't even know it's there until you need it.

Just a few helpful hints...

1) When installed, allow the program to autobackup at startup.

I shutdown at night, and the next day when I startup the backup is created.

(Windows Vista users see note at the end of this post)

2) I changed the total number of days that will be backed up to three, as 30 days by default is to many for me and can use to much space.

Open the startup folder in all programs then right click on ERUNT Autoback and select properties.

In the target add the switch /days:3 or whatever days you want to the end of the target then click OK.

It should look like this...notice the space.

"C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE" %SystemRoot%\ERDNT\AutoBackup\#Date# /noconfirmdelete /noprogresswindow /days:3

3) You can manually create backups too.

A manual backup with ERUNT has multiple uses, like when cleaning or editing the registry.

4) To restore the registry from a backup, navigate to the Windows folder ERDNT.

Open the Autobackup folder and the date you want, double click the ERDNT application then click OK, OK.

After the program has finished restoring the registry, click OK to restart the computer which will activate the restored registry.

Thats it.

Note: Windows Vista users should use the task scheduler instead of the startup folder for autobackups, this will avoid the UAC blocked program popup at startup.

Here's a link to a topic that I posted to show you how.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I just noticed a few days ago that I had the same problem than SkyWired, a cookie that wouldn't get deleted no matter what I tried with CCleaner.

I tried all the stuff previously mentionned, Killbox, Malewarebytes and so on.

The only way I could remove the two repertories in # C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\{Randomword} and # C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys was to use SkyWired's technique with Unlocker :

I moved the files with unlocker in another repertory to the desktop, then move it to a USB device (a lousy 128M stick I never use) then I deleted everything on the USB stick

the two repertories were scanned (avg, spybot, A?, Malewarebytes, ...) and didn't appear as threats

so everything's well that ends well.

:P thanks for all the advice I found here