Recuva - Stops working after update of CCleaner and Defraggler?

bernoullis

As part of my regular laptop 'housekeeping' today I thought I would do a check for updates to the Piriform trio of CCleaner, Defraggler and Recuva, as well as my anti-virus (AVG Free 8.5.375).

The anti-virus was updated first. I then updated CCleaner to 2.22.968 (no problems) followed by Defraggler 1.12.152 (again, no problems). I updated both of these in my normal manner by opening each program and clicking on the "Check for updates" link in the bottom corner.

I then attempted to open Recuva to check for updates but all I got was a short flash of the welcome screen and it stopped loading. I tried again a couple of times more - same result. I wasn't too perturbed because it was easy enough to go to the website and download Recuva 1.29.429. I uninstalled the previous version of Recuva, restarted my laptop (just in case!) and installed the new version of Recuva. When I tried to open it I got the same response as earlier - a very brief flash of the welcome screen and it disappears!

Has anyone had this problem before? All 3 Piriform products have worked perfectly since I started using them months ago and there have never been conflicts with other software. I don't know if the update to my anti-virus had anything to do with it, but I include the fact that I did update it for completeness.

I run a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ1VP/C laptop with Win XP Pro SP3. I'm baffled, can anyone help?

• Moderators

Hi bernoullis :)

Perhaps you could try the slim build here (without the toolbar) and see if you are able to download that. (make sure you choose save and not run when you are downloading it.)

http://www.recuva.com/download/builds

The other thing I would suggest is to try another browser for the download, if you happen to have another browser installed that is.

Let us know how you get on.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

hazelnut,

Thanks very much for your response. I have tried your suggestion, downloading the 'slim' version from within both Firefox and Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, after installation and then trying to run Recuva, the result is the same - the welcome screen flashes on for a brief second and then the program stops/disappears. I am utterly baffled by this! :(

• Moderators

Well it's a strange one this!!

Do you have anything else running while using recuva that could be blocking it in any way?

Do you untick the option to have recuva look for updates at startup? If not, give it a try.

Perhaps others may drop into this this thread with some more suggestions.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

I never allow software of any sort to automatically update (it can often bring in unwanted toolbars and the like) - I always do it manually. Consequently, that is the case here.

To make this case even stranger, I have updated Recuva (and CCleaner, Defraggler and the anti-virus)) on my Win XP Home desktop in the same manner that I did here with my laptop, and it all works fine! I'm on the verge of giving up here, lol! Computers, don't you just love them?

• Moderators

It sounds like it could be a conflict of some sort.

It would be interesting to see if Recuva will run in safe mode. If it does, then that probably suggests a conflict. When off line you could even temporarily disable your A\V and see if it runs. That would at least take your A/V out of the equation.

Have you installed any new software, or updated any drivers prior to this problem starting? Even a few days before?

Do you have anything running in the background which you don't have on your other PC? Maybe a windows theme, or an active Spyware program?

How to use safe mode is in my signature. Apologies if I'm telling you the road you know, but I don't know your level of knowledge at the moment.

DennisD,

I'll give that a go. No drivers updated for months and all the add-ons I use with Firefox have been there for ages. No new software either, so I don't think they are the problem, but I will try your idea of using safe mode.

No need for you to apologise - I consider myself technically competent (self-taught since the early 90s with PCs, and competent enough, for example, to very recently set up a wireless N+ modem router) but I am always grateful for a kindly 'steer' in the right direction. ;-)

Many thanks for the advice.

• Moderators

We could do with some input from folk who have had to solve a similar problem.

It has to be a process of trial and error, and the steps in this link may be somewhere to start. It refers to a different program which will only start in safe mode, but the principal should be the same.

http://groups.google.com/group/SketchUp3d/...90cc4f3f3?pli=1

You could try disabling unnecessary startup items one at a time with CCleaner, remembering to enable them again, and see if you hit lucky. It could be a recent Windows Update, as a recent poster had problems not with Recuva, but CCleaner, caused by the recent Windows Search Engine update.

Hope that helps, and hoping also that we can get some more input and suggestions.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there may be something in the "Event Viewer" immediately after a failed Recuva launch, which may give an error number, or some other clue.

DennisD

I admire your patience, and thanks again. Spent some time last night disabling various things, and even went as far as uninstalling Ad Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. Disabled Zonealarm too, but all to no avail. :( Even cleaned up the registry and rebooted after each of the uninstalls.

I wasn't aware of the Event Viewer - I have read the link you provided and will give it a go - fingers crossed!

Grateful thanks for everyone's patience.

• Moderators

I think it's your patience that's gonna be tested, as this elimination process is a time taker, and pretty frustrating.

We'll keep trying until you have no hair left to pull out. :)

A simple solution would be a System Restore back to before this started, and then try Recuva after installing or updating anything. I probably should have made that my first suggestion, but for some reason I thought it may be too far back to restore to.

If I come up with anything else, I will of course post it.

• Moderators

Just a couple of thoughts to keep things going as far as ideas.

Have you opened the taskmanager and restored it down to half size and then with it open clicked on the recuva icon and see if it actually shows in taskmanager? Also try to take note of any changes in peak memeory usage of a security program at the same time.

I cannot remember the default heading columns for taskmanager but if you open it, select view, then columns you can select peak memory to show. (I have quite a few columns showing, thats why I cannot remember the defaults).

Does it make any difference if you right-click the recuva shortcut and choose properties, compatability mode and select something there?

Also (I have to ask) it isn't opening minimized to taskbar is it?

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hello again all!

Well, I am fed up with this now.

Event viewer doesn't log anything extra happening when I attempt to open Recuva. Nothing. Nada.

System restore would take me way back into early June ..... too much happened since then. Would be easier to forego Recuva than do that, I fear.

Tinkered with Task manager and I noticed part of my Zonealarm firewall leaping up the memory scale. Disabled Zonealarm, rebooted ..... and no joy with that either.

Compatibilty mode is a no-go either. Recuva flashes its welcome screen, as always, and disappears.

I have stopped dozens of other processes too and I can not stop this problem. Have run out of patience now (and hair?) and I can't spend hours on this anymore. As much as it pains me to quit, that is what I am going to do. I'll just have to do without Recuva on this machine. That fact that it all (continues) to work on my desktop really grates .....

Thanks all for your words of advice and encouragement - you have been great. You are all superb examples of what is best in supportive on-line communities. My humble thanks to you folks!

I shall return now and again past here, to see if anyone stumbles on a solution, but I won't be spending anymore time chasing my tail, lol!

Adios amigos!

• Moderators

Sorry to hear that, but I can't blame you. The last thing I was gonna suggest if you haven't tried already is install it in safe mode. Might make a difference.

Let's hope you can get some future version running.

:)

EDIT: I hope my pm caught you.

• Moderators

As recuva reads the hard drive and you noticed activity in zone alarm when trying to open it, have you fully checked all the settings in zone alarm do anything with Direct Disk access etc? I know you said you closed it down, but some firewalls even when closed still can affect what happens.

If you felt brave (or even interested enough!) what about a zone alarm uninstall (saving your config) and trying Recuva then?

Anyway....at least no one can say you haven't tried to use Recuva!!

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com