System restore points

zapedzky

hello all!

first of all,many thanks to the piriform's guys for those brilliant pieces of software,

then

i'm using defraggler only since some days..all seem to be ok,except for one thing. i noticed that after every defrag

my restore points aren't there anymore. is that normal?

i'm on vista ultimate sp1 32bit

thanks for your time

Hello zapedzky,

Welcome to the forums !!! :P

Thanks for your report.

Vista can be sensitive to third party software especially at start-up.

I would not run any 3rd party software at system start-up on your version of Vista or you will probably lose your System Restore Points frequently. The following links will help you understand what is happening.

Windows Vista, System Restore

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/missingrpv.html

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html

Best wishes, :) davey Another happy Piriform member and user like you. :P

thanks for your input davey!

i think that the issue is not related to any startup 3rd party software.the fact is that,after runing defraggler on the system disk,vista does not automatically make any new restore point,the list is simply blank.

this issue do not happen with the vista's defrag utility. it deletes every restorepoint too,but after the defrag,vista automatically recreate one restore point.

this is quite odd,so at the moment i'm using defraggler on the other disks and vista's defrag utility only on the system disk.

hope someone @piriform can enlighten me on this. i'd like to use defraggler on the system disk too :)

thanks for your time davey!

hi MrRon :)

maybe what i'm saying is not clear enough.

we all agree on the fact that everytime a defrag application (3rd party or not) does some action on the system disk,restore points are cancelled.

the point is: the system automatically recreate a restorepoint after vista's defrag utility's action,on the contrary,no restore point will be recreated after defraggler's action,but anyway the disk space is taken as the restore point was recreated. that's really odd.

it's like the system "does not notice" any change.

practical example:

1)i do a defrag on the sys disk with the vista's utility: after the defrag i have 30gb free + a restore point.

2)i do a defrag with defraggler: after the defrag i have 30gb free but no restore point. if i do a manual restorepoint i will end having 26gb free.

so

1)defrag+restorepoint=30gb free

2)defrag+restorepoint=26gb free

why?

ps: i already read the other threads in which other users wrote that they solved the space issue by doing a chchkdsk. this not completely give an answer to my whole question.

thanks for your time.