Tools / Startup entries

Cymrubeats

Should it have so many files listed in startup? On my desktop (xp sp3) all i have is one entry (avgtray.exe.) As you can see by the pic, on my vista (sp2 beta, but it was the exact same with sp1, so the service pack i have isn't influencing it) there are a lot of files listed. Any reason for this, or has something went terribly wrong on my comp? (although, it runs perfectly fine.)

29640118cj8.png

Hi Cymrubeats, welcome to piriform forums.

Is this a change in CCleaner, or has it always shown this many startup items even with SP1?

What does startup show in msconfig?

Also, there is a new version of CCleaner. It may help if you do a clean installation of the new version.

http://www.CCleaner.com/download/builds

Hi Cymrubeats, welcome to piriform forums.

Is this a change in CCleaner, or has it always shown this many startup items even with SP1?

What does startup show in msconfig?

Also, there is a new version of CCleaner. It may help if you do a clean installation of the new version.

http://www.CCleaner.com/download/builds

Hi Jamin4u, thank you for the welcome, and the reply.

It has always been like that. My laptop came with Vista home Premium Sp1 installed...which i promptly removed (it's an Acer laptop, so you can just imagine all the useless crapware that was on it out of the box.) Before i removed it though, i 'experimented', testing which services i could disable, tweaking UAC to my liking etc etc, and in the process of doing that 'experimentation', i installed CCleaner, and all those startup items were there even then.

When i done a clean format/reinstall of Home Premium sp1, installed CCleaner once more, the startup list, again, still had all those entries...moving on a bit, installed sp2 beta; for anyone who hasn't installed it, you're in for quite a surprise when it's released...it's still a beta just now, obviously, but my comp is a fair bit faster, and more 'solid' feeling than with sp1, oh, and the boot time was cut quite dramatically too, without using readyboost...anyway, i'm digressing :P Installed sp2 beta, and all the entries are still there in tools/startup.

When i run msconfig, things are as they should be, the only entry in startup there, is the avgtray.exe one.

Also, if i right click on any of the entries (excluding the avgtray.exe one...that will disable/enable, and uninstall as it should) and select disable, i get a message that reads 'failed to enable/disable startup item, access denied', and if i try to delete any, the delete confirmation message appears, but when i select yes, nothing happens.

Sorry for making such a long post, but i wanted to get as much info in as possible. :P:blink:

Oh, and just to clarify, before i replied to you, i installed the latest build of CCleaner.

I'm going to add some comments and questions to your post.

Hi Jamin4u, thank you for the welcome, and the reply.

Do you agree that your experimenting and tweaking, may have caused the original problem?

It has always been like that. My laptop came with Vista home Premium Sp1 installed...which i promptly removed (it's an Acer laptop, so you can just imagine all the useless crapware that was on it out of the box.) Before i removed it though, i 'experimented', testing which services i could disable, tweaking UAC to my liking etc etc, and in the process of doing that 'experimentation', i installed CCleaner, and all those startup items were there even then.

Did you do any more experimenting or tweaking after the clean format/reinstall?

When i done a clean format/reinstall of Home Premium sp1, installed CCleaner once more, the startup list, again, still had all those entries...moving on a bit, installed sp2 beta; for anyone who hasn't installed it, you're in for quite a surprise when it's released...it's still a beta just now, obviously, but my comp is a fair bit faster, and more 'solid' feeling than with sp1, oh, and the boot time was cut quite dramatically too, without using readyboost...anyway, i'm digressing :P Installed sp2 beta, and all the entries are still there in tools/startup.

This is not normal in XP or Vista to have only one item listed in startup.

In your original post, you stated that avgtray.exe is the only item listed in your desktop (xp sp3) . I find this to coincidental. Is there something common here to cause this?

When i run msconfig, things are as they should be, the only entry in startup there, is the avgtray.exe one.

Also, if i right click on any of the entries (excluding the avgtray.exe one...that will disable/enable, and uninstall as it should) and select disable, i get a message that reads 'failed to enable/disable startup item, access denied', and if i try to delete any, the delete confirmation message appears, but when i select yes, nothing happens.

Sorry for making such a long post, but i wanted to get as much info in as possible. :P:blink:

Oh, and just to clarify, before i replied to you, i installed the latest build of CCleaner.

Startup (user) - the current user's Startup folder in the Start Menu.

If you look in All Programs > Startup, is that where all the items are listed?

Please post your comments and answers and I'm sure someone will jump in to try and help you.

Do you agree that your experimenting and tweaking, may have caused the original problem?
Nah. As i said, when i reinstalled Vista, i have a set of apps that i download/install, before doing anything else to the OS, and CCleaner is one of them (the others being: AVG Free, Firefox, and 7-zip.) And all those entries are listed from the get go.

Did you do any more experimenting or tweaking after the clean format/reinstall?
Yup, i always do (again, all those entries are there before i do a single thing.)

This is not normal in XP or Vista to have only one item listed in startup.

In your original post, you stated that avgtray.exe is the only item listed in your desktop (xp sp3) . I find this to coincidental. Is there something common here to cause this?

The only reason i have one startup item, is because i only need one (my anti-virus,) the rest (qttask.exe, ati hotkey poller, java update scheduler, and a whole host of other 'automatically check for updates online' rubbish are unnecessary to me...i can quite easily do that myself, without my comps resources being wastefully utilised, and as for 'preloaders', i can live with the extra 1 second an app takes to load, when these are disabled...sorry, ranting there :lol::P )

If you look in All Programs > Startup, is that where all the items are listed?
No, i have no startup folder(s), i don't need any progs to start when windows does (except my AV, of course, but that starts up as a service,) so i deleted them.

No, i have no startup folder(s), i don't need any progs to start when windows does (except my AV, of course, but that starts up as a service,) so i deleted them.

Hi Cymrubeats,

That is unusual that you removed the Startup folder. This may be the cause of your interesting Startup list.

It looks like every program that is actually loaded by the OS at startup.

Maybe if you at least put a Startup folder back then this strange list will disappear. CCleaner will find an empty folder.

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. This thread from Tony Klein should help you understand. See 1. Autostart folder

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index...ost&p=88429

Edited by davey

This marvelous utility displays all of these locations:

AutoRuns for Windows v9.35

By Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell

Published: October 16, 2008

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Works well with Process Explorer v11.3

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Place them in their own Folder together.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

P.S. This thread from Tony Klein should help you understand. See 1. Autostart folder

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index...ost&p=88429

Davey

That link gives a very comprehensive rich diet of information which I think I could use -

but not this week - it made my brain hurt !!!

It would be nice if an XP Home Edition only could be produced for the relevant sub-set of that information.

Other forum members may also have a preferred sub-set.

Do our forum members include any teachers looking for useful homework assignments ?

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Didn't mean to cause any headaches but that is a rich source of information.

The main thing I wanted Cymrubeats to pay attention to was the last part of that Section 1.

Here I lifted it from Tony Klein's post. I find his work always very informative.

From Tony Klein (one of Piriform's honored Moderators)

By setting it to anything other than C:\windows\start menu\programs\startup will lead to execution of ALL and EVERY executable inside set directory.