• Norton
    • Online Scanner Only
    • Panda
    • Trend Micro
    • Other
    • None

• Moderators
Are 64 bit systems out yet?

If they are, do any programs take full advantage yet?

There's AMD Athlon 64, don't know when Intel will release one.

As for AV supporting 64-bit this is from Avast 4.6 (Home/Professional Edition):

"For 32-bit Windows operating systems Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP and 64-bit version of Windows XP."

I use AntiVir but I am continuously looking into ClamWin.

Seems most people here use Avast, the reason I use AntiVir and not Avast is that AntiVir doesnt come with skins and feels more like a tool than a toy. Also Avast requires a subscription even though it is free, AntiVir doesnt even require a subscription.

As for 64 bit systems, both Intel and AMD have 64 bit CPU's out in the market. Microsoft Windows is 32-bit but now they have released a 64-bit version too, but few people have it. And since most applications are compiled for 32 bit, in most cases you end up with no extra performance. However if you run Linux, example Gentoo Linux then you can run a 64 bit kernel and compile your software yourself to run as 64 bit, and then the 64 bit will be taken more into advantage.

Even though 64-bit isnt all that wide spread today, if you plan to purchase a new CPU or computer, then 64 bit is a good choice because the 64 bit market will undoublty continue to grow. And with a 64 bit CPU you can ofcourse run both 32 and 64 bit software.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators
I use AntiVir but I am continuously looking into ClamWin.

Seems most people here use Avast, the reason I use AntiVir and not Avast is that AntiVir doesnt come with skins and feels more like a tool than a toy. Also Avast requires a subscription even though it is free, AntiVir doesnt even require a subscription.

I've tried AntiVir multiple times however it tends to get crashy on my system, and will always crash on me when it gets to a rootdir backup .cab archive.

Microsoft Windows is 32-bit but now they have released a 64-bit version too, but few people have it. And since most applications are compiled for 32 bit, in most cases you end up with no extra performance.

64-bit is supposedly "more secure," well at least from what I've read from Avast.