CCleaner Community Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Yesterday
  3. No change when turning off fastboot. The problem only occurs after I Analyze and then Run Cleaner. If I don't Analyze and then Run Cleaner, computer shuts down and boots up normal.
  4. I had tried that in previous attempts like I do using file explorer, and it didn't work those times. This time it did work and saved me a tremendous amount of time. According to the scroll bar, approximately 25% was unrecoverable. Thank you for suggesting I try it again. This time when I did the file discovery, it said I was going to need 16TB space to recover to. I spanned 2 x 8TB drives to be my backup so shouldn't have any trouble recovering to that.
  5. For contiguous selection: Click the top of the selection you want, press and hold shift and click the botton selection. Click in a checkbox within the selection that should check all in the group. For non-contiguous selection: click items you want to recover while holding the ctrl key. Once the ones you want are selected stop holding the ctrl key and click the checkbox for one of the selected. Thus should check all the selected.
  6. I'm not running the registry section. This only occurs when I Analyze and then Run Cleaner. In the Custom Clean section.
  7. From my 8TB drive, Recuva was able to find over 10,000,000,000 files. There are a tremendous amount of unrecoverable files along with the good ones. I reorganized the files using the unrecoverable column. Is there a way to select a range of files or do you have to check or uncheck what to recover? I checked all and have been going through over 100 pages of unrecoverable unchecking individual files. I'm in the Z's starting from the bottom of the list. So I know there are probably thousands more of the unrecoverable files filling pages. I've been working on this since my first posting. I look forward to an easier way to do this if possible.
  8. Are you running the registry section? Or does this occur just having ccleaner installed? Edit: have you tried turning off fastboot, it sounds like something (maybe ccleaner) is stopping the resumption of services that occurs with a shutdown and boot up. More on fastboot here https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
  9. This is what happens after running cleaner. When I'm done using the computer for the day I shut down the computer. But the computer takes about 3 - 4 minutes to shut down. When I try to boot up the computer it goes to a black screen and stays that way. I then power off the computer using the power button. After rebooting the computer it boots up normal. It took me awhile to track this problem down because I could not figure out what was causing it. Through trial and error the problem only occurred after using ccleaner. I first downloaded ccleaner onto the computer on 1-22-20. The current version of ccleaner I'm using is 5.68.7820 (64 bit) CCleaner Free I'm running windows 10 Pro, version 1909 (64 bit) I have updated ccleaner many times to newer versions with no change to the problem. Any help appreciated,
  10. Do you not have (or in the past had) chrome installed?
  11. It's obviously finding some reference that you have (or had) it. If you go to Tools>Software Updater is that saying the same?
  12. It keeps reporting Google Backup and Sync out of date but I do not even have it installed. I even did a registry scan and no Backup and Sync located in Registry. So a false positive.
  13. Jeez, this is confusing. Are you using Drive Wiper from the Tools menu, or Wipe Freee Space from Options/Settings? The settings in your screenshot apply to Secure File Deletion and have nothing to do with wiping free space. It's difficult to grasp CC running for a long time and nothing is being done. Are you sure you're not looking at undeleted files?
  14. Colsh, if you don't know whether the secure deletion is working or not then it's difficult to have any idea what's happening. On the rare imes I use secure file delete it works fine, with one pass. Years ago I ran a 35-pass secure file delete on a usb attached device and cancelled the job as soon as I could. After a few goes I caught the deletion in mid pass, so to speak. It was writing different patterns, implying that multi-pass is working. The last pattern of a multi-pass delete is zeroes, so it's very difficult to say whether one or more passes are being written. One quirk of overwriting is that by looking at the data you will never ever know how many passes have been run, it's just zeroes.
  15. (LesN, do not put your confusing posts in this thread. I have created a new thread Cleaner Drive Wiper in CC Bugs: your questions can be addressed there, and Colsh's here.)
  16. I wonder if all that testing and re-testing is just going to put excessive wear onto your hard drive- just to prove the point! It isn't like Drive Wiper/Wipe Free Space (and whatever else it's called in other programs) is something that should be ran too frequently. Like I stated at the very end of my post here, some people in the past have reported it doesn't work, however the results I suppose will vary system by system.
  17. Disabling Use hardware acceleration works like magic. Now I dont need to switch to another browser just to view videos.
  18. Actually, I have several tests running. The program that was successful was Cipher. The CCleaner drive wiper running with the above changes is going to be another 2-3 hours to complete the wipe. I'll post results tomorrow.
  19. Another test just finished. I made the changes to the Settings (see attachment) and it appears to have wiped the free space this time.
  20. No, the deleted files are not overwritten. I am using CCleaner Drive Wiper, selecting the drive and wipe free space. It is taking about 5-6 hours to wipe the free space. When it is finished I run Recuva, deep scan, and all files are found. If it were over writing the files then I would not be able to recover them.
  21. 1. No idea 2. Using "Eraser"
  22. Last week
  23. I am questioning whether CCleaner's Drive Wiper does anything. I have an external hard drive which I just deleted two folders with over 131,000 files. I wanted to wipe the free space and have always used CCleaner for other things, so thought I'd give it a try. Two versions were used on two systems. V5.46.6652 and V5.68.7820. I tried 3 passes and 7 passes. Ran for a long time of course the 7 passes took a lot longer than the 3 passes. Drive access light was flashing the whole time. When each finished I ran Recuva, and was able to recover all 131,000+ files. To make sure it they were recoverable I recovered a couple of Word documents and MP4 videos and all were in tact. So what's going on? I am using another program now to wipe, but definitely will be warning people that CCleaner's Drive Wiper does not work. Several others have posted similar issues and people were concerned it wasn't working because it was the System drive, which in this case it wasn't. It is an NTFS drive, although that shouldn't matter. Any ideas? Maybe it is the item above that Secure File delete should be selected. I'll try that on my next attempt. It is really confusing though. When it says "Wipe Free Space Only" and Complex 7 passes, I would assume it is overwriting the free space.
  24. No matter how long it takes, are the deleted files being overwritten with zeroes? How are you overwriting individual folders/files?
  25. You'll only get a preview in files that have an embedded thumbnail, and Notepad isn't one of those. Explorer gets the name and file size etc from the directory MFT record, it doesn't look at the MFT records for all the individual files. Recuva scans the MFT and - at a guess - takes the file size from the file's record. However on a recovery, which is a copy and paste operation, perhaps whatever request Recuva is making to retrieve the file gets the info from the directory, you are after all copying a live file. I don't know how Recuva or NTFS works at that level, I'm just trying to fit the theory to the facts. You could use HexDen (free portable hex editor) to find the clusters as identified by Recuva, and then copy the contents to a safe place. It's all rather tricky though. I would look at thre header info in Recuva first, as if it isn't what you expect then you may be barking up the wrong tree.
  26. If you have the 3 license package (I think it's called pro plus) you can enter your name and key into the about section of ccleaner after installing the free version. Use the slim build from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds
  27. Just paid and installed continuous Prof. Pro. Now want to put it on other computer with dated ccleaner. what are the exact steps to do this?
  1. Load more activity