Boot problem

hazelnut

• Moderators

A problem has developed the last couple of days.

When I boot up it does not get to the POST stage. It stops at the very first bit which says the name of my processor at the top (along with my computer type Medion) and at the bottom it will say F1 or DELETE to enter set up, and it freezes there. There are no beeps.

After about 1 or 2 minutes it then boots up as though nothing was wrong.

Trying to start in safe mode gets no response, and the test bit ( the white scrolling writing on the black screen) only starts when it wants to.

I have no problems in using the computer once booted, and have tested my hard drive with HD Tune and there are no problems there.

Has anyone any ideas?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

My older AMD system started doing this when the floppy drive decided to die so I disabled it in the BIOS and have not missed the floppy since :)

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

My problem is doing anything in the bios as it is frozen JUST after it starts up. Pressing keys gets no response, then suddenly after a minute or so, there's a 1 second flash of the rest of the writing and then it has booted, no time to do anything. As I said apart from that, everything works fine.

Aaron,

I cannot get to the settings for the POST screen ( or don't know how to)

Yokenny,

Any other signs that the floppy was dying? It's something I never use. This PC is 3 years old

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Yes, get a program like memtest86 to verify the RAM.

If no problem with the RAM, then you could try to unplug the floppy, try boot, if still problem, unplug the CD/DVD, if still problem, then unplug the HDD, until find problem.

If still not solved, you could try to unplug sound card, network card, etc.

If still not solved, you could try to reset the CMOS via a jumper on the motherboard, the motherboard manual should tell you how todo this.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

It is sorted!

I spoke to a tech at Medion UK and he recognised the problem straight away. He took me through the Static Discharge routine.

Turn off computer, turn off the power at the mains. Hold in the PC power button for 30 seconds to a minute. This makes the computer draw the static electric that had built up.

Turn it back on and instant boot!!

Hope this may help anyone else who ever has this problem.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

It is sorted!

I spoke to a tech at Medion UK and he recognised the problem straight away. He took me through the Static Discharge routine.

Turn off computer, turn off the power at the mains. Hold in the PC power button for 30 seconds to a minute. This makes the computer draw the static electric that had built up.

Turn it back on and instant boot!!

That's also what is supposed to be done before working on the inside of the PC case to reduce the chances of ruining the hardware when it's touched, and is especially important when forgetting to ground one's self by touching the metal chassis on the PC tower.

• Moderators

I didn't realise that the static could affect the running of the computer so much. Everything seems to be much faster now.

Yeah static isn't a computers friend one bit. I remember working at a retail store aeons ago that had nice plush carpet for everyone to build static up inside them and then to zap the computers when touching them, and it would really screw them up in some unexcepted weird ways.

Thanks Hazelnut. I've had a very similar (and very wierd) problem for over a year, but this seems to have fixed it. Who would have thought? :)

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

I didn't realise that the static could affect the running of the computer so much.
When I worked for IBM I worked in a large oil refiner and distributor's computer center and the console operator would complain of the big mainframe crashing every time he moved on his chair.

Needless to say they did not meet critical deadlines due to restarts and the management was pi$$ed at the operators and IBM :P

I devised a hardware fix that would detect this hang and auto re-IPL (reboot) the system reducing the time to recover from 1-2 hours to 1/2 hour :blink:

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

so hold the button in after the computer is unplugged? that doesnt make too much sense..

Yes, there are still some electricity stored in some electric components in the machine. That why when you open to computer to replace stuff in it, it can be a good idea, to unplug it, then press the power button to get rid of that energy before you start fiddling inside to avoid static discharge and stuff.

Also, it is very dangerous to open a power supply unit (PSU) and fiddling with it, even if its not powered. People should not try repair monitors or power supply units.

Computers should be connected to grounded power sockets.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

I didn't realise that the static could affect the running of the computer so much.

Nor did I and I have never really paid much heed to static.

Will definately be more aware in future.

Thanks for the info Hazel and glad you sorted it. :)

Also thanks to the other regulars and their input.